MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elective sam19090 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-29-2010 08:16 PM
Suggest Good Books manaya General Discussion 64 12-15-2009 11:23 PM
elective!! ishk33 Academics 3 08-14-2009 04:15 PM
Which elective? suhaybh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-03-2008 12:28 PM
Elective Help? Ruggedman Academics 2 07-03-2008 04:07 PM

Suggest a second elective.

Old 07-18-2010 at 02:49 AM   #1
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

Suggest a second elective.
Okay, one huge mistake that I before registering for courses on SOLAR was not coming here first. So here I am, asking for you help.

I'm in Life Sciences I, and initially I picked ENGLISH 1A03 (Term I) and ANTHROP 1Z03 (Term 2). After checking some of the course reviews, I realised that the English course involved ALOT of reading, and I want somewhat easy-going electives. So I dropped it, and took up LINGUIST 1A03 instead.

I want to take up MMEDIA 1B03, but that class has been full since the first day. So I was hoping you guys could suggest an elective to replace ANTHROP 1Z03 with that doesn't involve alot of reading/essays, but more practical stuff.

Last edited by BVictor : 07-18-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2010 at 04:57 AM   #2
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Pretty much any Humanities/Soc Sci course is going to involve some degree of reading - I took MMedia 1A03 and 1B03 and had a good amount of reading in both of those. If you're looking for something without mountains of reading though, stay away from English/CSCT and History. Something like Introduction to Film (they changed around the Theatre and Film courses, so I don't know the new code for it) might be good for you though - Theatre courses, on the other hand, will involve reading plays, but the Film course I took didn't have too much reading.
Old 07-18-2010 at 05:21 AM   #3
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

Yeah, but I'm someone who enjoys Media, so it's not going to matter much.
I just want my electives to flow smoothly and be somewhat enjoyable this year.

I might just end up switching to the 1B03 F&T course after reading some of the reviews. I guess I do have a whole lot of time to choose though, and (hopefully) someone might drop MMEDIA 1B03.
Old 07-18-2010 at 06:28 AM   #4
escape

Liked: 38 Times

anthro 1zo3 is fairly easy course esp. if you're going into sciences ( touches upon mitosis, evolution). I would stick to it.
Old 07-18-2010 at 08:52 AM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I haven't personally taken any Anthro courses, but the people I know who did take that one said they only looked at the textbook the day of the midterm and still finished with a really high mark.

Now, I wouldn't recommend trying that right off the bat, but it probably means that you'll be able to manage the workload for it.
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:46 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

English 1A03 doesn't require that much reading. It's short stories, it's just a couple of pages. I literally read the day before class and it only took me like an hour.