MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Summer Orientation Program cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-24-2010 04:15 PM
Summer Orientation Days! FYEO First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-10-2010 01:41 PM
Summer Orientation Program 2009 Lizz87 MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-04-2009 12:05 PM
Summer Orientation Program? Sync First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-01-2008 11:04 PM
Easy Summer Orientation Program lorend ARCHIVES 24 06-25-2008 08:56 PM

Summer orientation session

Old 05-26-2009 at 11:12 AM   #1
lbqjenny

Liked: 0 Times

Summer orientation session
Hi! i want to know what is summer orientation session. What does it include? is it the same as orientation @ U of T? is it worthy to participate?
Old 05-26-2009 at 11:37 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

when is this orientation? and what is it called specifically? (there are many that occur between the end of June and August for incoming Mac students; and they're all different)

the orientation at UofT would be for UofT students...so it would be going over completely different stuff than a Mac orientation

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-26-2009 at 11:50 AM   #3
lbqjenny

Liked: 0 Times

it's called summer orientation session & academic counselling. June 25 –July 9 yesterday, i received an e-mail from mcmaster university and it's called to do list--next steps. This is one of the tasks in the to do list.

http://fye.mcmaster.ca/ here is the link
Old 05-26-2009 at 12:17 PM   #4
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

I went to one of these before starting first year. It's basically a session to help you understand all the terms and programs that will eventually become second nature to you once you start university (eg. MUGSI, SOLAR, payment agreements, cancellation deadlines etc).

It helped me a lot, mainly because I really had no idea how my course selection worked, what courses I needed to register for, or how to pay my tuition+residence fees (Oh, if only I'd known about MacInsiders then!). Your faculty's academic advisors talk to you about your course selection and you're given about an hour in one of the computer labs to do the registering on SOLAR.

It also helped me meet people because I knew absolutely no one coming to Mac. I met one of my closest friends at university at one of those Orientation sessions. You should definitely consider going if you can.

lbqjenny, xxsumz all say thanks to Geek for this post.
Old 05-26-2009 at 02:05 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

They didn't have the ESO Program (or anything similar) when I was in first year, and I wish I'd had it. Sooo if you have no idea how to choose courses, pay tuition etc GO!

If you can't attend, that's okay too though. MacInsiders will be here...and we answer a lot of questions too. And we appreciate it when people who attend these things help out other students as well!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

lbqjenny says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 05-27-2009 at 06:30 PM   #6
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Last year before welcome week I only went to May at Mac and some academic advisor thing (not sure if that's what you're talking about).

The second one basically was an info session about my program and how to select courses.

As for whether or not they're worth going to... I dunno, I'm antisocial and barely talked to anyone. If you're good with people you'd probably make some friends. =/

lbqjenny says thanks to JEFF_CHAN for this post.
Old 05-31-2009 at 01:31 AM   #7
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Remember that you don't necessarily have to go to your faculty's specific orientation session either...

I entered Kinesiology I, but attended the Commerce I info session because it fit my schedule better, and learned pretty much the same information. Only difference is that I got a Commerce pen, as opposed to (I presume) some sort of Kinesiology gear.

lbqjenny says thanks to Mowicz for this post.