MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Summer Course Credit Transfer VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 12:02 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
2nd year admission, summer school credit missmatch Academics 12 05-31-2009 12:46 AM
Summer School laffand Academics 13 07-17-2007 11:09 PM

Summer School Credit ?

Old 03-18-2009 at 09:56 PM   #1
k2s8262

Liked: 0 Times

Summer School Credit ?
I'm currently in 1st year Life Sciences.

I wish to go to honours Life Sci II next year, but i am short on a life science course credit....

i need 12 units from Life Sciences I Course List but i only have 9 !!!!
am I still able to be admitted if I take a summer school course to get 3 those credits?? And what if I take it in a different school other than Mcmaster, for instance, U of T? Would that count in my Cumulative Average?
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:32 PM   #2
nytrogyn

Liked: 1 Time

I would also like to know if UofT credits are transferable to Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2s8262 View Post
I'm currently in 1st year Life Sciences.

I wish to go to honours Life Sci II next year, but i am short on a life science course credit....

i need 12 units from Life Sciences I Course List but i only have 9 !!!!
am I still able to be admitted if I take a summer school course to get 3 those credits?? And what if I take it in a different school other than Mcmaster, for instance, U of T? Would that count in my Cumulative Average?
Ouch.. that is quite unfortunate. I'm assuming you want to do the course at UofT because you live in Toronto and don't want to have to pay for residence at Mac during the summer?
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:19 PM   #3
k2s8262

yeah.. i dun wanna stay in Hamilton lol

Oh I've heard that U of T credits are transferable if the courses are checked and satisfies for equivalency in Mcmaster

Last edited by k2s8262 : 03-18-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:42 PM   #4
nytrogyn

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2s8262 View Post
yeah.. i dun wanna stay in Hamilton lol

Oh I've heard that U of T credits are transferable if the courses are checked and satisfies for equivalency in Mcmaster
Don't waste money and end up taking the course and then figuring out it doesn't transfer. Get some concrete answers, go talk to reps at the school.
Old 03-19-2009 at 08:29 AM   #5
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

check out this website for a list of courses that have already been approved as equivalents

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~as...lop2/equiv.php

just keep in mind that some courses change so you might have to double check with the Associate dean that they are still valid.
Old 03-19-2009 at 02:19 PM   #6
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

Okay.. I don't know if a lot of people know, but there is already a list of approved courses from other universities.

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~as...lop2/equiv.php

and you can apply for a course online too

good luck. and hopefully it will work out.
Old 03-19-2009 at 04:45 PM   #7
k2s8262

Thanks guys, but the real question i want to know is

"i need 12 units from Life Sciences I Course List [to go to Honours Life Science II] but i only have 9 !!!!
am I still able to be admitted if I take a summer school course to get 3 those credits??"
Old 03-22-2009 at 09:43 PM   #8
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Hey k2s8262, I'm actually in the exact same situation. I'm in Earth and Environmental Sciences I and wish to get into Honors Earth and Environmental Sciences II but am missing 3 units and want to take it in summer school.

I've spoken the prof in charge of my program and he said that they might not accept me into the Honors program because of my missing credit, but he said to "shadow" the program, so take the courses that you would take if you did get into Honors but actually apply for the non-honors program.

So I've applied for the Honors program (even though the chances of getting in are slim) and applied for the non-honors E&E Sci as my second option which I will get into. I'm taking the missing credit in summer school and going to register for the courses as if I were in Honors. My prof said that next year in September, I can probably transfer and be accepted into Honors once my summer school marks are processed.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-22-2009 at 10:42 PM   #9
k2s8262

wow, that's exactly the answer i've been looking for... Thank you so much
but, by "next year in september" does it mean that I am going to be enrolled in Honours in this coming September or in September of 2010 ?

Last edited by k2s8262 : 03-22-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2009 at 11:10 PM   #10
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

My bad, lol this upcoming September you can transfer into Honours (I'm not sure how or anything but Luc Bernier, the prof I talked to said it's possible).