MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer school before 1st Year TeleKey Academics 5 06-15-2010 07:24 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Regarding summer school as a first year student Mahratta First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-19-2009 02:18 AM
Summer School, 2nd Year Commerce dhillon11 Academics 4 04-11-2009 08:32 AM
Summer School Credit ? k2s8262 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 03-22-2009 11:10 PM

2nd year admission, summer school credit

Old 05-30-2009 at 01:46 PM   #1
missmatch

Liked: 0 Times

2nd year admission, summer school credit
Hello all, so I just saw my grade report and the programs I'm eligible and ineligible for. Few questions:

By ineligible, does this mean I have no chance of getting in?
Also, I applied for summer school and I'm starting this June however that course is a requirement for one of the programs I picked (showing ineligible in the grade report). I asked help from one of the academic advisors in BSB about it and she told me it was ok as long as I apply for a Letter of Permission. I already got my LOP processed way before April. If I get my credits by the end of the summer, would I be able to get into the program that I want (also the program showing Ineligible in my grade report)? Or do I have to do something else?

I'm planning to call Mac Monday about this but it would also help to hear from you people. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2009 at 01:55 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

My understanding of it is that it's too late to get into the program you're ineligible for this year. However, a common strategy is people "mirror" the program by taking the courses that they would have anyways, and then just re-applying for the program the following year. That way, you take all the courses you needed to anyways, and everything works out in the end.

The only glitch to this is that some courses are only for people in the program.
Old 05-30-2009 at 02:06 PM   #3
missmatch

That doesn't make sense though because the academic advisor said since I have the LOP, they would take it into consideration and put me in some kind of waiting list or something. Unless they have a limited enrollment? Am I right, or wrong?

So if I "mirror" my program of choice, do I have to select one of the programs I'm eligible for and then apply for the program I want by the end of 2nd year? Or just not select any program at all? What would that make me? I mean, would I be in a General Science category, instead of say, an Honours Psych student? And if I do reapply by the end of 2nd year for that program, when I get to my third year, am I a third year Hon. Psych student or a 2nd year Hon. Psych student?

I'm confused :-S I have no idea how these things go. But as I said, I'm still gonna confirm with the school.
Old 05-30-2009 at 02:46 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

If you are ineligible for entry in a program it is either because you haven't taken the correct courses, or you do not have the required average, which is the more common reason. This occurs either for your overall average, or due to the specific courses of your program.

This means you are ineligible for the upcoming academic session; which is for 2009-2010 academic year. This does not mean you will never be eligible; you can re-apply for the program at the end of second year.

You can still take courses even if you are not in the program. I took an English course as an elective [one of the non-elective ones, a six-unit course meant for English majors], but I needed a letter of permission from the department.

I do not think you can apply for admission to a program after course selection has occurred. It would make the application process to complicated in terms of administration.

When you go to select your courses, the first thing that comes up is for you to select what program you are in. You have to do this every single year, even if you do not change or alter your degree program. So yes, you would have to choose one of the programs you are currently eligible for.

When you go through this process again before you choose your courses for third year, you will be put into Year III of Program X, so long as you have enough credits to do so (i.e. you are taking a full course load).

The only time your program and year actually matters is when you are filling out your grad card for convocation. Between first year and fourth year your degree and degree program doesn't matter. Your grade report will indicate that you switched, but it doesn't show up on your transcript.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-30-2009 at 03:49 PM   #5
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

I was kind of in the same situation as you. I applied for a Honors BioMath Program but I did not take Math IAA3 (one of the required courses for the program) during the school year. My average for the year was quite high however and I am taking Math IAA3 during the summer. On my grade report, it says:

DECISION PENDING
BSC/HON , H BIOLOGY&MATH
PENDING SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF MATH 1AA3 DURING SS'09

If you had been accepted into the program, I am pretty sure it would have said "decision pending" or "eligible". Since it says ineligible, I dont think you will be accepted into the program (even if your taking some of the required courses during the summer). So my answer to your question - If I get my credits by the end of the summer, would I be able to get into the program that I want - would be no.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-30-2009 at 03:52 PM   #6
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

One small addendum:

Your program and year matter for enrollment in certain specialization courses. MedRadSci for instance, you won't be able to take those unless you are a MedRadSci student...I don't think they make exceptions. Med Phys too.

I mean this in addition to the pre-requisite courses...not only do you need some pre-reqs, but some courses have "Must be enrolled in a Level X or above _____ program"

**EDIT: But for programs like this, they have 'general' degrees...you will enroll in a 3-year MedRadSci General program, and be able to shadow such courses...but you have to again, be eligible for them in the first place.

Most courses aren't like this though, and are open to just about anyone. They're usually courses that are very personalized, or require a lot of technology.
Old 05-30-2009 at 07:11 PM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I was ineligible for my program for three years. I got in right before 4th year... so officially I found out today. Haha! I just took all of the courses I needed.
Old 05-30-2009 at 09:05 PM   #8
missmatch

Thanks a lot, guys!
This has surely made things clearer for me. too bad I didn't get into the program I wanted. Oh well.
I still need to contact Mac though since the parents want official confirmation for the whole thing.
Old 05-30-2009 at 09:17 PM   #9
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I was kind of in the same situation as you. I applied for a Honors BioMath Program but I did not take Math IAA3 (one of the required courses for the program) during the school year. My average for the year was quite high however and I am taking Math IAA3 during the summer. On my grade report, it says:

DECISION PENDING
BSC/HON , H BIOLOGY&MATH
PENDING SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF MATH 1AA3 DURING SS'09

If you had been accepted into the program, I am pretty sure it would have said "decision pending" or "eligible". Since it says ineligible, I dont think you will be accepted into the program (even if your taking some of the required courses during the summer). So my answer to your question - If I get my credits by the end of the summer, would I be able to get into the program that I want - would be no.

Hope that helps!
I'm in Engineering I and on my grade report right now it only says the following:
REGISTRATION FOR SEP09-APR10
INELIGIBLE FOR
B ENG , SOFTWARE ENG
B ENG , MATLS ENG
B ENG , COMPUTER ENG
DECISION PENDING
B ENG , MECHATRONICS ENG

Right now I'm enrolled in summer school for both Math 1Z04/1ZZ5, both of which are mandatory to get into any level 2 engineering program. BUT my concern now after reading your post is that my grade report thing does not state that "PENDING SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF MATH 1Z04/1ZZ5 DURING SS'09"....Isn't mine supposed to say that like yours? Or does that come up later once they review each case? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2009 at 09:20 PM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
I'm in Engineering I and on my grade report right now it only says the following:
REGISTRATION FOR SEP09-APR10
INELIGIBLE FOR
B ENG , SOFTWARE ENG
B ENG , MATLS ENG
B ENG , COMPUTER ENG
DECISION PENDING
B ENG , MECHATRONICS ENG

Right now I'm enrolled in summer school for both Math 1Z04/1ZZ5, both of which are mandatory to get into any level 2 engineering program. BUT my concern now after reading your post is that my grade report thing does not state that "PENDING SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF MATH 1Z04/1ZZ5 DURING SS'09"....Isn't mine supposed to say that like yours? Or does that come up later once they review each case? Thanks!
I think this is a perfect question for your academic advisor, they would be able to explain your specific case to you. I'm not sure otherwise; maybe the decision for mechatronics hasn't been finalized yet for anyone? That could easily be disproven if you know anyone who was accepted already. Or they could just be waiting for your summer school classes.
Old 05-30-2009 at 11:17 PM   #11
scholes

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
If you are ineligible for entry in a program it is either because you haven't taken the correct courses, or you do not have the required average, which is the more common reason. This occurs either for your overall average, or due to the specific courses of your program.

This means you are ineligible for the upcoming academic session; which is for 2009-2010 academic year. This does not mean you will never be eligible; you can re-apply for the program at the end of second year.

You can still take courses even if you are not in the program. I took an English course as an elective [one of the non-elective ones, a six-unit course meant for English majors], but I needed a letter of permission from the department.

I do not think you can apply for admission to a program after course selection has occurred. It would make the application process to complicated in terms of administration.

When you go to select your courses, the first thing that comes up is for you to select what program you are in. You have to do this every single year, even if you do not change or alter your degree program. So yes, you would have to choose one of the programs you are currently eligible for.

When you go through this process again before you choose your courses for third year, you will be put into Year III of Program X, so long as you have enough credits to do so (i.e. you are taking a full course load).

The only time your program and year actually matters is when you are filling out your grad card for convocation. Between first year and fourth year your degree and degree program doesn't matter. Your grade report will indicate that you switched, but it doesn't show up on your transcript.
On MUGSI, my Grade Report notes that I am ineligible for a level II Health Science Transfer. I met all criteria including both Biology (1M03 and 1A03) and Chemistry (1A03 and 1AA3) courses as well as the cut-off GPA. I also submitted the supplementary application on time. While I will definitely be contacting the Bhsc office on Monday, I would appreciate any insight.

Edit: I also completed all 30 units

Last edited by scholes : 05-30-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2009 at 11:36 PM   #12
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

scholes. It is not guaranteed if you do all of that. Those are the minimum requirements.
That program is very selective. And once you meet the minimum grade requirements, the selection is mostly based off of your supplementary application. I don't want to get your hopes down or anything though. You should still contact them.
Old 05-31-2009 at 12:46 AM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The low-enrollment, competitive programs, such as Health Sciences, Arts and Sciences, and Kinesiology, an average of, I believe something like, only 20 transfers per year (from all faculties). There are definitely that many who reach the criteria and more...so unfortunately, there must just have been candidates with grades a little better than yours or something, scholes.