MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Summer School fleenagirl Academics 1 04-29-2009 06:29 PM
Summer School 09! leah.d Academics 5 03-05-2009 11:29 AM
Summer School laffand Academics 13 07-17-2007 11:09 PM

Summer school...help?

Old 04-27-2009 at 05:17 PM   #1
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

Summer school...help?
Okay, so I'm registering for summer school and I want to take a second year elective. I'm currently in first year, but not for long! The thing is, when I try to register for MUSIC 2II3, it says my requisite results failed. The prereq for this course is to be registered in Level II or above, which I am currently not :S Has anyone been experiencing the same problem? Does this mean I can't take a second year elective? :S

Old 04-27-2009 at 05:54 PM   #2
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

You can, but you just have to see the course coordinator for a waiver. I'm in first year too, but I plan on going into psychology. The coordinator let me take a second year psychology course in the summer based on my midterm mark. There's some minimum you have to meet from your midterm mark to get into the second year course (I think).

Oh, and she checked my psychology midterm mark only (I think? - 'Cause my biology midterm test mark was crap and it wouldn't have met the minimum.............. ). So they'll probably do the same for you? Don't take my word for it! I'm not sure where you can get the list of course coordinators (I stole it off my friend). It's probably online or you can go to the guidance counselor (why does this spelling look so wrong?).

Course coordinator? Is that what they're called?
Just find the equivalent of Ann Hollingshead from psychology for music.

EDIT: UNDERGRADUATE ADVISOR!

Last edited by ytpos : 04-27-2009 at 06:09 PM.

shleyaa, sinthusized all say thanks to ytpos for this post.
Old 04-28-2009 at 01:44 AM   #3
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

Hey Ashley, you can get course permissions (which is what you need) to waive your requirements from the music "office". I had to get a Chem permission form and I got it from the Chem office. The info for where the "office's" are, are in the undergrad handbook.

I just checked the handbook: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_859.htm
and I think you have to go to TSH 414 to get the course permission. For me, it took them 2-3 days to grant me permission to take the course. =)
Old 04-28-2009 at 10:08 AM   #4
flow

Liked: 0 Times

Does anyone know the start and end dates of term 1 and 2 this summer? I'm having trouble finding this information...is there a website where I can find it? Thanks for any help!
Old 04-28-2009 at 10:12 AM   #5
shleyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post
Does anyone know the start and end dates of term 1 and 2 this summer? I'm having trouble finding this information...is there a website where I can find it? Thanks for any help!
Summer school semester 1: Classes are from May 4th- June 19th
Last day to register or add/drop for Semester 1: May 8th
Last day to drop without academic forfeit: June 3rd

Holidays in Semester 1:
Victoria Day- May 18th

Summer school semester 2:
Classes are from June 22nd – August 7th
Last day to register or add/drop for Semester 2: June 26th
Last day to drop without academic forfeit: July 22nd

Holidays in Semester 2:
Canada Day- July 1st
Civic Holiday- August 3rd

(Taken from the Macinsiders article
on Summer School 2009)

Old 04-28-2009 at 10:14 AM   #6
shleyaa

Thank Guys! I emailed the undergraduate advisor about my situation and he just asked for my student number to grant me the course waiver.

Old 04-28-2009 at 10:24 AM   #7
flow

Liked: 0 Times

awesome! thank you so much!!
I have another question actually...If I take a summer school course to lighten my work load during the school year, and then I only have 4 courses in a term in the school year, does that mean I'm not a full time student and I don't qualify for grad school? I've heard that this is true but I'm not sure if I believe it..
Old 04-28-2009 at 11:08 AM   #8
shleyaa

Hmm... no, I'm pretty sure you're still considered a full-time student. I'm sort of in the same position as you, except I have to be a full-time student in order to qualify for OSAP. I think I read it somewhere on the OSAP site that you must have at least 60% of a full courseload in order to be considered a full-time student. I could be wrong though, but a friend of mine did the same thing I'm doing and was able to get her loan :S