MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
summer school siefer1322 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 01-16-2010 01:48 PM
Summer School jasminexo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-30-2009 03:22 PM
summer school!! muns2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 12-29-2009 08:49 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

what is summer school like?

Old 04-30-2011 at 02:52 AM   #1
x1chinadollx

Liked: Liked 9 Times

what is summer school like?
Hey,

I was wondering how the workload is in summer school. I'm debating on taking two courses at the same time but I'm not sure if thats a good idea. I plan to take 1 or 2 of the following: chem 1a03, history 1aa3, or bio 1m03.

thanks in advance : )
Old 04-30-2011 at 02:58 AM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Everything is compressed.
Accelerated you could say...

You cover 2 weeks worth in 1 week. So you're going 2x the normal speed.
Old 04-30-2011 at 03:19 AM   #3
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

in the sumer, are grades usually higher or lower?
Old 04-30-2011 at 03:40 AM   #4
x1chinadollx

Liked: Liked 9 Times

yea im wondering that too
Old 04-30-2011 at 05:39 AM   #5
iloveyou

Liked: 1 Time

I heared summer school grades are always easier not sure though need some one to confirm
Old 04-30-2011 at 05:40 AM   #6
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I find summer school easier personally, because I can focus the work in less courses. But beware if you are behind in lectures/readings in summer school, you are really behind and will have a harder time catching up.
Old 04-30-2011 at 08:15 AM   #7
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Does anyone know if summer school marks count towards your cumulative average? Do grad schools generally look at them?
Old 04-30-2011 at 08:16 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Does anyone know if summer school marks count towards your cumulative average? Do grad schools generally look at them?
Only if you took them at McMaster and yes even if you take them at other universities (You have to provide transcripts from all universities you have attended).

J-Met says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 04-30-2011 at 10:53 AM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I've taken history 1AA3 with Dr. Armstrong. I really loved the lass and she is a great prof. Classes were organized and she was entertaining. However, it was a lot of work. There were textbook readings, 3 primary article readings for each tutorial, and we had to read a novel/play also. In the summer, I suspect the primary documents wouldn't be included since there are not any tutorials. But beware that there is still LOTS of reading.
Old 04-30-2011 at 10:59 AM   #10
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Oh I want to ask my own questions, too. I've heard a lot of mixed things about summer school. Some of my friends say it's way harder because it's condensed and there is a lot of pressure that you do all your readings on time and you have less time to do assignments. Also, you have to male sure you understand the theories which can be hard in the time frame. Classes are 3 hours long, and you can honestly zone out a little after that length of time on one topic (whereas normally you'd switch between three courses in that time).
I've also heard that it's easier because the profs mark more easily and you only have to worry about 2 classes instead of 5. I'm concerned because I intend to take 4 courses, which is supposed to be really difficult.

I also took one summer course last year, hated it and did really poorly.

I don't know what to think and I'm getting stressed because I only have until the 7th to drop classes!

Help?
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:35 PM   #11
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
I don't know what to think and I'm getting stressed because I only have until the 7th to drop classes!
I have a question about that, until the 7th, we can drop the class we're taking and get our money back right? i.e. it's not like cancelling a course, where they don't pay you back your fees (i think).
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:43 PM   #12
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
I have a question about that, until the 7th, we can drop the class we're taking and get our money back right? i.e. it's not like cancelling a course, where they don't pay you back your fees (i think).
"The last day to add/drop term 1 courses without financial penalty is May 6, 2011."
Source

So yes, as long as you cancel by then you will get all your money back. However I think they might just give you credit for next year, not your actual money back.

lizziepizzie, waldo92 all say thanks to RememberTwce for this post.
Old 04-30-2011 at 01:50 PM   #13
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Oh I want to ask my own questions, too. I've heard a lot of mixed things about summer school. Some of my friends say it's way harder because it's condensed and there is a lot of pressure that you do all your readings on time and you have less time to do assignments. Also, you have to male sure you understand the theories which can be hard in the time frame. Classes are 3 hours long, and you can honestly zone out a little after that length of time on one topic (whereas normally you'd switch between three courses in that time).
I've also heard that it's easier because the profs mark more easily and you only have to worry about 2 classes instead of 5. I'm concerned because I intend to take 4 courses, which is supposed to be really difficult.

I also took one summer course last year, hated it and did really poorly.

Help?
As far as the length of each class, it's no different than most night classes that run during the Fall/Winter session. The last hour can be somewhat difficult if you're not really, really interested in the material. Bringing something caffeinated is never a bad idea if you're worried about that.

If you're taking a Humanities course, that seems like it might be a lot of work. In my very little experience with Humanities courses, there are a lot of readings, and getting behind sucks, so I can see why you're concerned about that. You have less time to get assignments done in the summer, but it's doable. As long as you put in the time and effort, I don't think you should have a problem.

As far as professors marking easier in the summer, I've never heard that It probably depends on the professor, but I'd imagine they mark you relatively similar to how they would mark you during the Fall/Winter session.
Old 04-30-2011 at 02:02 PM   #14
javeria

Liked: 0 Times

i dont think the work load is that much because the summer school is only two days and plus you are handling 2 courses which is better than handling 5 at a time. you will do fine.
Old 04-30-2011 at 02:50 PM   #15
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
"The last day to add/drop term 1 courses without financial penalty is May 6, 2011."
Source

So yes, as long as you cancel by then you will get all your money back. However I think they might just give you credit for next year, not your actual money back.
I spoke with someone at Student Accounts and Cashiers last week and she said that you get your full amount bak by May 6th, and after that you gets 20% less per week. So, a week after the 6th you would get 80% of the full amount you paid back.

waldo92 says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.