MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Grad School Pre Reqs in Summer School? ChhabrN Academics 2 01-01-2013 12:34 AM
Question about summer school and grad school apps bruni Academics 4 05-05-2012 07:05 AM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

summer school for linguistics

Old 10-07-2013 at 05:12 PM   #1
skgr

Liked: 1 Time

summer school for linguistics
I want to get into linguistics but I could not take any course because they were all full.
Can I take Linguistics 1A03 and 1AA3 in summer school and continue on in Second year with second year courses?

Am I able to major in Linguistics even though I am in Social Science?
Old 10-07-2013 at 05:26 PM   #2
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

You can absolutely do that, assuming those courses are offered. (They usually are.)

Since you won't be able to apply to the linguistics program near the end of first year, because you won't yet have the prerequisites. You would probably have to register for something else and then switch into linguistics toward the end of the summer. You should probably talk to an academic advisor about the logistics just so you feel more comfortable with the process, but it is totally doable.
Old 10-07-2013 at 09:19 PM   #3
skgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allana:) View Post
You can absolutely do that, assuming those courses are offered. (They usually are.)

Since you won't be able to apply to the linguistics program near the end of first year, because you won't yet have the prerequisites. You would probably have to register for something else and then switch into linguistics toward the end of the summer. You should probably talk to an academic advisor about the logistics just so you feel more comfortable with the process, but it is totally doable.
wow thanks!and how do I find these academic advisors?

How did you get into Cognitive Science of Language? How do you like it? it seems soo cool!
Old 10-08-2013 at 01:06 AM   #4

http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/...ice/index.html

I applied at the usual time. Yep, I love it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 10-08-2013 at 09:35 PM   #5
skgr

wow! Thank you Is Cognitive Science of Language a Level II program?
What were the prerequisites for it?
Sorry for spamming all these questions!
Old 10-08-2013 at 11:54 PM   #6
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by skgr View Post
wow! Thank you Is Cognitive Science of Language a Level II program?
What were the prerequisites for it?
Sorry for spamming all these questions!
Cognitive Science of Language is a level II program. It's perquisites are: a cumulative average of 5.0 or above and at least an average of 5.0 in courses LING 1A03, LING 1AA3 and PSYCH 1X03 combined.

Refer here for more info: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...14/pg1450.html
Old 10-09-2013 at 12:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
Cognitive Science of Language is a level II program. It's perquisites are: a cumulative average of 5.0 or above and at least an average of 5.0 in courses LING 1A03, LING 1AA3 and PSYCH 1X03 combined.

Refer here for more info: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...14/pg1450.html
Yep, those are the prerequisites. If you want to start getting requirements out of the way, though, I would also recommend taking Psych 1XX3 and a language course or two. It's not necessary for getting into the program, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 10-10-2013 at 04:19 PM   #8
jrol

Liked: 3 Times

Is this a good area to live?
Oops wrong thing somehow

Allana:) likes this.