MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Videos for Prospective Students Chad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 04-18-2009 10:35 PM
Prospective students of Life Science 1 ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 07-07-2008 04:21 PM

Summer School for Prospective Students?

Old 02-17-2014 at 04:15 PM   #1
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Summer School for Prospective Students?
Just why can't I take summer school this May? I got in touch with the person in the program that I applied to and she told me it's because I haven't attended Mac before.

I'm only concerned about this because I have been out of uni since November and apart from work there isn't much to do and it just doesn't feel right.

Can I plead my case with someone else other than the admissions person for the program that I applied to?

I would really like to go to Mac and wouldn't like summer school to be the reason for not going there and ending up going to Queen's.
Old 02-17-2014 at 04:33 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

For most programs, registration at the university only occurs for the start of the Fall/Winter session (i.e. September). You won't be registered by then and won't be considered a student at the school, since you were accepted to start in September 2014.

If you really want to take a course or two before starting, you can do that online via Athabasca, and start now if you want (instead of waiting until summer). The alternative would be looking into a summer course in the same way a student at another university would do it - I'm not sure exactly how this would work, having never been through the process myself, but the only barrier I can see to this is that you aren't actually registered as a student at any university right now.
Old 02-17-2014 at 04:47 PM   #3
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

if you were/are technically still a student at another university, see if you can get a letter of permission (LOP) to take some courses at mac?
Old 02-17-2014 at 04:48 PM   #4
Phoneup

Athabasca...I've never heard of that uni before...

I mean, Queen's online courses are well known, but this uni I've never heard about before.

And if you're wondering, I'm thinking of taking the two (or one) of the psych courses nursing students take.
Old 02-17-2014 at 04:49 PM   #5
Phoneup

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
if you were/are technically still a student at another university, see if you can get a letter of permission (LOP) to take some courses at mac?
Oh I've never thought about that before. I will call my past uni and ask them as well though I doubt they'd say yes.

Another problem is that I believe registration for summer courses should be done a week or two before the deadline, which I believe is early April (April 1?) , while I will know the admission decision to my program will occur between late April to early May which is just a dumb idea because I have submitted all of my documents and grades in December.

Last edited by Phoneup : 02-17-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2014 at 05:01 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

The only program that I know which allows it is LEAP (head start with eng allowing you to take eng 1c03/1p03)
Old 02-17-2014 at 05:03 PM   #7
Phoneup

Does anyone know if Athabasca need permission from my past uni?
Old 02-17-2014 at 05:31 PM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

You always need permission from your current department and get a waiver acknolweding it
Old 02-17-2014 at 05:54 PM   #9
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Can I ask what program you applied for?
Old 02-17-2014 at 05:56 PM   #10
Phoneup

@Leeoku, you mean permission from Mac to take courses at Athabasca?

@MrP, nursing.
Old 02-17-2014 at 06:22 PM   #11
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

@phone yes. you need to speak to academic counsellor to make sure your course matches/is a substitute and get permission