MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer School Question tek-zilla Academics 4 05-02-2011 07:10 PM
Summer School Question ginaj Introduce Yourself 4 04-12-2011 11:53 AM
Summer School question santiagoeb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 02-03-2011 01:37 AM
Question about summer school! reillea Academics 3 06-11-2010 05:17 PM
Summer school question HG88 Academics 4 12-25-2009 11:38 PM

Summer School Question

Old 06-28-2011 at 11:51 AM   #1
JamesMonroe

Liked: 0 Times

Summer School Question
It looks like because all the math and physics courses are full, I need to complete them in summer school.

So because I am doing those courses in summer school (a total of 6 units), can I take 24 units during my regular year? Or do I still have to take 30 units?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011 at 12:03 PM   #2
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

What program are you in? If you need them, and they are required for the second year program you want you should email the department.

If not, you can take 24 units or 30 units it doesn't matter. All you need is 24 units to get into second year.

JamesMonroe says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.
Old 06-28-2011 at 12:05 PM   #3
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

If you are in first year then I would heavily suggest that you take the 30 units. If you need the math and physics for your degree, they are obligated to put you in those classes either this fall or winter. If you are still unable to get into those classes, take 6 units in something else instead and either do the math and physics in the summer or the following year.

Save the extra credits you get from summer school for your 4th year. Not your 1st or 2nd.

JamesMonroe says thanks to Manley for this post.
Old 06-28-2011 at 12:23 PM   #4
JamesMonroe

Liked: 0 Times

I am in the Social Science department and I am going for the Honours Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour program. I do not need Physics actually, though I do need Calculus.

My first year requirements are 6 units from Psych, 3 units form Bio and 3 units from Math.
The psych and bio, I had no problems selecting. It's just that the Math is full.

If I email the math advisor do you think they can grant me a seat in Math 1A03 or Math 1LS3?
Old 06-28-2011 at 12:25 PM   #5
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

Yes, I am fairly certain that they will.

JamesMonroe says thanks to Manley for this post.
Old 06-28-2011 at 01:02 PM   #6
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

During the first week many people drop courses, so you still have a shot of getting in.
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:33 PM   #7
reddevilchil

Liked: 2 Times

It is still really early. I was able to get into 1st year math during the August round of course selection last year so don't worry. Alternatively, speaking to your student adviser sometimes can get you in the course too.

Depending on which route you want to take, the Math 1A03 & 1LS3 are the exact same course but the 1A03 uses examples like there was a train and an airplane, etc.. Where as the Math 1LS3 uses examples like there was a colony of bacteria, etc. So depending on which route of study, ie engineering or biological sciences, you want to take will determine which course is best for you.

Hope that helps, and good luck! : )