MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Question about summer school! reillea Academics 3 06-11-2010 05:17 PM
Question Regarding Summer School Classes eleduc Academics 10 01-05-2010 10:05 PM
Summer school question HG88 Academics 4 12-25-2009 11:38 PM
Question About Summer School & Transferring Skip First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-26-2009 01:24 PM

Summer School question

Old 02-02-2011 at 07:25 PM   #1
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

Summer School question
when and where can i register? what courses can i take? how much is it? how long? heeeeelp
Old 02-02-2011 at 07:32 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

This information I seek as well.
Old 02-02-2011 at 07:40 PM   #3
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

well according to this thing
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...sessional.html

classes begin Monday May 2nd and the last day to drop a course without getting a zero is Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Um. yeah. I'm not sure when you can start applying, but I recall doing it last year in April (like before and after finals).

RyanC says thanks to xo.monica for this post.
Old 02-02-2011 at 07:40 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Course selecton comes out mid-March. Courses are 8 weeks long, and that's all I know. lol Most 1st year classes offered during normal times are offered over the summer, but I think there's less selection for upper years. Still decent, though.

RyanC says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.
Old 02-02-2011 at 07:43 PM   #5
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Oh, also, summer school classes are NIGHT classes, so from 7-10 or 6:30 - 9:30, etc and the lecture is twice a week.

WHICH courses are offered in the summer depend on demand, I believe.
the cost for a course is the same as if you took it during the school year
and each term lasts a month and a half, ish.

and you can take TWO courses per term in the summer

santiagoeb says thanks to xo.monica for this post.
Old 02-02-2011 at 07:43 PM   #6
santiagoeb

Liked: 4 Times

this can be a dumb question, but can i apply for osap even if im just taking one course in the summer, i mean, i dont even know how much is that one class :s
Old 02-02-2011 at 07:53 PM   #7
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoeb View Post
this can be a dumb question, but can i apply for osap even if im just taking one course in the summer, i mean, i dont even know how much is that one class :s
The cost depends on what type of course it is, i.e. which faculty it's from, but on average courses are $500 each.

as for OSAP, I'm not too sure. D: I'm not on OSAP so I have no idea, but I THINK* you can. I THINK.

santiagoeb says thanks to xo.monica for this post.
Old 02-02-2011 at 07:55 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Oh, also, summer school classes are NIGHT classes, so from 7-10 or 6:30 - 9:30, etc and the lecture is twice a week.

WHICH courses are offered in the summer depend on demand, I believe.
the cost for a course is the same as if you took it during the school year
and each term lasts a month and a half, ish.

and you can take TWO courses per term in the summer
Woah, 3 hour classes. Intense.

Theres no list anywhere?

edit: (list of classes for summer school)

Last edited by RyanC : 02-02-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2011 at 08:02 PM   #9
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoeb View Post
You need to have 2 courses in Summer for OSAP.

This is the info McMaster has for last year.
Old 02-02-2011 at 08:03 PM   #10
Mickel

Liked: 12 Times

The classes don't have to be at night. There are day time summer school classes as well.
Old 02-02-2011 at 08:16 PM   #11
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Not all of them. I took physics last summer, and lecture was twice a week, 9:30am-12:20pm, with a 15 minute break partway through. Plus the weekly labs for a couple hours in the afternoon; I don't remember exactly what time though.
Old 02-02-2011 at 08:16 PM   #12
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times

I took summer courses last year and can tell you a little bit about it. McMaster's Summer 2010 timetable should become available in mid-March. Not all courses that are offered during the academic year are offered during the summer - in fact, only a fraction of the courses that are available now are available for you to take during the summer, so you'll have less choice and freedom to take the courses you want and create the timetable that suits you best.

There are two terms during the summer. The first term is from the beginning of May to the end of June. The second term is from the end of June to the beginning of August (around Aug. 8, depending on when your last exam is scheduled). Any courses that are worth 3 units will take place only during one of the terms (i.e., either from May-June or July-Aug). 6 unit courses will take place from the beginning of May to the beginning of August. Costs are the same and you are eligibile for OSAP as long as you take 2 courses each summer term. The courses can be 3 unit or 6 unit courses. It doesn't matter, as long as you take a 60% course load. 6 units per term is considered a 100% courseload during the summer, therefore you need to take TWO courses per term to get any OSAP money. Now keep in mind, you can take 6 units the first term and just 3 the next but still get OSAP. However, you'll only get OSAP money for the first term, since you're only taking a 100% course load for the first term. If you decide on taking another course during the 2nd term, you can apply for OSAP again later (before 2nd term begins) and as long as you have 6 units, you'll get money for the 2nd term as well. To apply for OSAP, all you'll have to do is fill out a summer addendum form (which will later become available online). The form is pretty short and asks you about the courses you'll be taking and the sort of travel expenses you would expect to incur during the summer while communting to the university.

Not all summer courses are night classes. Some of them take place in the morning, some in the afternoon, some at night, but all classes are three hours long and each class takes place twice a week. I really liked summer school at Mac. It was way less hectic than the school year, and the university was very quite, peaceful, and sunny during the summer.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me!

Last edited by Needlenose : 02-02-2011 at 08:20 PM.

macinsider4, Strategy all say thanks to Needlenose for this post.
Old 02-02-2011 at 08:27 PM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlenose View Post
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me!
Do you know what courses were offered last year? I can't seem to find summer 2010's list.
Old 02-02-2011 at 08:31 PM   #14
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Do you know what courses were offered last year? I can't seem to find summer 2010's list.
Go the website of the faculty whose course you want to take during the summer. There should be a tentative list of courses that'd be offered in the summer. For instance, here's the list for Math: http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/courses/spring_summer.php
For English: http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/~english/undergraduate/Courses.html
For Psych: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/psy...es.html#summer

Faculty website ---> Undergraduate studies ---> Courses ----> Summer

The summer 2010 timetable is no longer available.

Last edited by Needlenose : 02-02-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2011 at 09:53 PM   #15
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

they don't extend your HSR pass through the summer, right? so then.. does OSAP make up for those travel expenses? (I live within hamilton)