MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Those who have had the Swine flu fasailuddin General Discussion 12 11-19-2009 08:46 AM
Swine Flu Shots? kanishka General Discussion 16 10-30-2009 09:31 PM
Swine Flu!! Infinity General Discussion 4 09-10-2009 04:19 PM
Swine Flu -- Our university's preparedness aviaf General Discussion 37 06-11-2009 05:06 PM

Swine Flu & Exams!

Old 10-19-2009 at 02:44 PM   #1
sksliang

Liked: 0 Times

Swine Flu & Exams!
so i think i may have some symptoms of swine flu but i have an exam on friday. if i tell the univeristy that i may have swine flu... do they defer my exam? or am i screwed?!?!
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:46 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Are you one of those people that hear about symptons and assume you automatically have it as soon as SOME of the signs appear?

You know swine flu has many of the same symptons are regular flu, right?

This thread actually offended me. Many people write exams while they're sick.

If you think you're SO SICK that you shouldn't attend anything (because hey, swine flu is actually kind of a big deal right now), maybe you should get off the internetz and go to a hospital.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

jo87 likes this.
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:48 PM   #3
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

you should go to the walk in clinic or the hospital immediately, and get the doctor to confirm weather or not you have swine flu. Remember to take the mcmaster approved medical form, heres the link http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~as...tif icate.pdf
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:48 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Exams only get deferred with doctor's notes.
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:49 PM   #5
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

If you legitimately think you have swine flu, you can be excused through this self reporting tool, no doctors note is needed

https://pinjap01.mcmaster.ca/swineflu/

but I would suggest going to the doctor as well.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:52 PM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
If you legitimately think you have swine flu, you can be excused through this self reporting tool, no doctors note is needed

https://pinjap01.mcmaster.ca/swineflu/

but I would suggest going to the doctor as well.
Um. How exactly do they prevent abuse of this system?

Old 10-19-2009 at 02:53 PM   #7
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Um. How exactly do they prevent abuse of this system?
Ummm I have no idea. My Social Work prof showed this to us a couple weeks ago, she said that you can only get swine flu once because you build up an immunity, so they'll get suspicious when you're entering your info more than once. But I'm sure it gets abused.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:57 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Of course it'll get abused. -scoffs-

But um, they also said NOT to go to the Doctor, lest you risk infecting everyone else there. The best is to go straight to the hospital or just stay home.

If I thought I had it, I'd be like screw it - wear a mask and gloves and write the exams anyway. I don't want to be accused of abusing the system.
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:58 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Ummm I have no idea. My Social Work prof showed this to us a couple weeks ago, she said that you can only get swine flu once because you build up an immunity, so they'll get suspicious when you're entering your info more than once. But I'm sure it gets abused.
It probably does. I haven't tried submitting a report, but I'm sure someone who isn't prepared for a midterm/exam will use it.

I don't think that self-reporting system should be allowed. At least not from what I've seen from an overall glance at it. Jesus. All you need is a little media propaganda and suddenly rules and policies don't apply anymore.

I refuse to write an exam on the day off when I know some douchebag is going to abuse the system and get out of it.

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-19-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:59 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Of course it'll get abused. -scoffs-

But um, they also said NOT to go to the Doctor, lest you risk infecting everyone else there. The best is to go straight to the hospital or just stay home.

If I thought I had it, I'd be like screw it - wear a mask and gloves and write the exams anyway. I don't want to be accused of abusing the system.
Well by doctor, I meant hospital. ;D Obviously if you think you have swine flu you shouldn't wait around 2 hours in a walk-in. Haha.

Old 10-19-2009 at 03:58 PM   #11
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Where in Hamilton (even better, on campus?) can you go to get looked at by a doctor without an appointment?
Old 10-19-2009 at 04:25 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Campus health had had drop-in clinics in the past. However it looks like they will not be doing that this year.

There used to be a walk-in clinic in westdale but i'm pretty sure it's gone now...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-19-2009 at 06:05 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
It probably does. I haven't tried submitting a report, but I'm sure someone who isn't prepared for a midterm/exam will use it.

I don't think that self-reporting system should be allowed. At least not from what I've seen from an overall glance at it. Jesus. All you need is a little media propaganda and suddenly rules and policies don't apply anymore.

I refuse to write an exam on the day off when I know some douchebag is going to abuse the system and get out of it.
I agree. I almost wish that link wasn't posted here.
Old 10-19-2009 at 06:15 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasailuddin View Post
you should go to the walk in clinic or the hospital immediately, and get the doctor to confirm weather or not you have swine flu. Remember to take the mcmaster approved medical form, heres the link http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~associatedean/forms/student_health_certif icate.pdf
They don't test to see if you have swine flu unless you have other respiratory complications. At least at the campus clinic.

I would go to get a doctors note from a walk-in clinic or at the campus health B101. Just to be sure.

Although people have written tests when they're sick, it's important to stay home if you are sick so that you don't spread the infection to other people. Especially if you aren't practicing proper hygiene (sanitizing common surfaces like keyboards, practicing sleeve sneezes, and washing your hands often)

daisy likes this.
Old 10-19-2009 at 09:55 PM   #15
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

All I hear in class is *cough* *cough* *cough* and all my friends are super sick, I'm so getting swine flu.