MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swine Flu Shots? kanishka General Discussion 16 10-30-2009 09:31 PM
Swine Flu & Exams! sksliang General Discussion 52 10-30-2009 12:20 AM
Swine Flu!! Infinity General Discussion 4 09-10-2009 04:19 PM
Swine Flu -- Our university's preparedness aviaf General Discussion 37 06-11-2009 05:06 PM

Those who have had the Swine flu

Old 11-18-2009 at 06:41 PM   #1
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Those who have had the Swine flu
I was perfectly fine in the morning went and did my presentation, went to class etc. At around 5 i started getting chills, and eventually developed a runny nose and a cough. I currently have a body temperature of 38.5, not sure if that's high. i was wondering if swine flu develops this fast and how do i go about reporting it to the university or which doctor should i go see.
Old 11-18-2009 at 06:50 PM   #2
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

It might just be the flu, go to the walk in clinic asap.
Old 11-18-2009 at 07:02 PM   #3
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

As for reporting: https://pinjap01.mcmaster.ca/swineflu/
Old 11-18-2009 at 07:53 PM   #4
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

Sounds like what i got a few fridays ago. I was fine all day, started getting a bit of a sore throat and by the end of the day i had a fever, chills, runny nose, cough, realllly congested in the lung area. i took advil, went to bed. i slept probably 12 hrs and woke up fine. as if nothing had happened.
hopefully this is just what you have, it left as fast as it came.
Old 11-18-2009 at 07:56 PM   #5
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Weird, I had the same thing! A bit of a sore throat during the day, but then by that night backache, headache, shivering, I would guess a fever. Took one advil, went to sleep, 6 hours later when I got up I was fine except the sore throat, which lasted a couple more days.

You may not be as sick as you think you are - if you get better by tomorrow morning then it's probably not anything.
Old 11-18-2009 at 08:03 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

It might be a 24-hour thing, man those things come fast and hard and they ruin your day. But best to go to a clinic or something.
Old 11-18-2009 at 09:20 PM   #7
tee33

Liked: 0 Times

I had swine flu last week. It comes on very suddenly I went to bed and felt fine and woke up at 5 in the morning throwing up. If you are okay taking care of yourself stay home until you dont have a fever. If you're not okay (I went to the doctor because i was extremely dizzy) and to tamiful which helps relieve some of the issues. just make sure you dont share anything with roomates etc while you still have a fever
Old 11-18-2009 at 10:15 PM   #8
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

From the two guys I know who caught it, I studied with the first one all day, he goes from 100% or so to super fever and puking from like 8pm to 8am where he calls and says he thinks he has H1N1. My other friend was feeling sick at around 2PM, and around 8PM hes barely moving and asks me to submit his assignment for him since hes so sick. It happens pretty damn quickly. Hope ya feel better =\
Old 11-18-2009 at 10:26 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

38.5 is high, but not to the point of being dangerous or anything. Try to avoid medications which will lower your body temperature (ie. Tylenol) as much as possible, since a fever is one of the ways your body fights infection.

I know this is easier said than done, but it's just something to consider. Stay well hydrated. This will prevent further complications and reduce some of your symptoms such as headache, nausea, etc. Drink whatever you can, even if it feels like your body doesn't want it. If you can't keep liquids down (ie. if you're vomitting) then drink flattened** Ginger Ale (believe it or not, it's very mild on the stomach).

**Flattened as in, open a can and let the fizz settle out.

feonateresa likes this.
Old 11-19-2009 at 12:23 AM   #10
Melpomene

Liked: 6 Times

I'd avoid going to a clinic or doctor unless you start experiencing severe symptoms, (trouble breathing, heart racing, etc). That's the quickest way to get H1N1 if you don't have it now. Stay home, avoid going near other people/wash your hands, stay hydrated and get some rest. I had swine flu back in October and it took me about 3-4 days until I was feeling well enough to do day to day things, (aside from car rides, those made me feel a million times worse until like a week after I had recovered).
Old 11-19-2009 at 05:52 AM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
38.5 is high, but not to the point of being dangerous or anything. Try to avoid medications which will lower your body temperature (ie. Tylenol) as much as possible, since a fever is one of the ways your body fights infection.

I know this is easier said than done, but it's just something to consider. Stay well hydrated. This will prevent further complications and reduce some of your symptoms such as headache, nausea, etc. Drink whatever you can, even if it feels like your body doesn't want it. If you can't keep liquids down (ie. if you're vomitting) then drink flattened** Ginger Ale (believe it or not, it's very mild on the stomach).

**Flattened as in, open a can and let the fizz settle out.
Ginger Ale works wonders when you're feeling nauseous or you're feeling weird in your stomach. I had the stomach flu last year and it helped a lot.
Old 11-19-2009 at 08:39 AM   #12
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Ginger Ale works wonders when you're feeling nauseous or you're feeling weird in your stomach. I had the stomach flu last year and it helped a lot.

you know most commercial ginger ale doesn't contain ginger which is the actual ingredient that makes your stomach less upset?

Anyways I had all the symptoms of the flu/swine flu a week ago. Best thing to do is not to go to doctor unless it gets worse or you have severe symptoms. The flu is viral and there is not much a doctor can do.
Old 11-19-2009 at 08:46 AM   #13
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

I had H1N1! The chills and cough are consistent with it, but when you get a flu, runny nose isn't a symptom. Just watch it, you may be about to experience a bad cold.