MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Those who have had the Swine flu fasailuddin General Discussion 12 11-19-2009 08:46 AM
Swine Flu & Exams! sksliang General Discussion 52 10-30-2009 12:20 AM
Swine Flu!! Infinity General Discussion 4 09-10-2009 04:19 PM
Swine Flu -- Our university's preparedness aviaf General Discussion 37 06-11-2009 05:06 PM

Swine Flu Shots?

Old 10-30-2009 at 08:37 AM   #1
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Swine Flu Shots?
The swine Flu Vaccines are out...Who plans on getting these shots?
Old 10-30-2009 at 09:07 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I'm not sure... I'm wary of taking a shot, but with the recent cases in Ontario, it's beginning to become somewhat imperative that I get it. For now though, I'll just keep washing my hands diligently and trying to avoid touching a lot of surfaces. Chances are my mother will coerce me into taking it anyways. :/

Maegs likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 09:11 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
The swine Flu Vaccines are out...Who plans on getting these shots?
Just an FYI, apparently people with allergies to raw eggs cannot get the shot.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:08 AM   #4
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

The use of eggs in flu shots is not new. People that have egg allergies already know this information...probabl y don't get the regular flu shoot...unless highly monitored after wards.

My concern is the use of squalene (shark liver oil) in the adjuvant (immune booster ) in the vaccine that is currently available since I have a fish allergy. I've read that due to the fact that it has been distilled three time protiens such as the shark liver oil are distroyed...but I'm still nervous. I'll probably get the vaccine without the adjuvant but it won't be out till later...and I'm in the high risk category (apparently...? according to my doctor).

Does anyone know if they will be offering these shots at Mcmaster? Or will be just be at the 4 locations accross the city? I'm so confused by all of this...
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:09 AM   #5
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Not me!
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:18 AM   #6
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Some info from Health Canada if you're trying to make a decision:

"Considering the Options" (Benefits/Facts, Risks, Myth Busting)

REcommendations for the Use of the Vaccine (including who should not get the vaccine)

Myths (more on myths about the vaccine)

H1N1 and Chronic Medical Conditions
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:19 AM   #7
daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylojl View Post

Does anyone know if they will be offering these shots at Mcmaster? Or will be just be at the 4 locations accross the city? I'm so confused by all of this...
Check here -- right hand side of the page -- for flu info at McMaster (they seem to keep updating it): http://www.mcmaster.ca/health/index.html
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:33 AM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I probably won't be... not because I'm anti-vaccine; it's more that I'm not convinced it's necessary.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:41 AM   #9
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

I'm getting it.
Apparently I'm high risk, having asthma and all....
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:02 AM   #10
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

I got it yesterday due to being high risk and because I take care of my grandpa who isnt able to get the shot.... my mom waited in line for 4 hours!

I hate flu shots and never get them.... they have mercury in them to preserve them so I think of it as poisoning your body. But I have heard so many stories of people dieing and such from it. Someone my grandma knew just died from it and he was healthy and 23. Something about showing symptoms on friday and dieing on saturday.

I hate fear mongering about anything and usually think the media blows things out of line(which they do) but I suggest you get it. I personally know 2 people already who have it at mac, and know of many others. Better to be safe than sorry!
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:10 AM   #11
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

People should get the shot. The risks related to swine flu far outweigh the risks associated with getting the shot.

PilotMal likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 11:25 AM   #12
daisy

By getting it, you are helping people who are "compromised" as well. I started getting flu shots when a loved one had a baby -- it really hit home for me then, and made me rethink. I don't only want to help protect the health and well-being of those people that I love, but also others in society who might be at risk, too.

I don't have allergies to eggs, and have carefully read about all of the myths regarding thimerisol and everything else, so I feel comfortable getting vaccinated.

PilotMal likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 12:31 PM   #13
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

I'll be getting it soon as well. I 'm doing so not just for myself but because I'm around a lot of people and would rather not get sick and then spread it amongst everyone.

I've also never had any symptoms from previous flu shots like some people, so I feel fine about getting it.
Old 10-30-2009 at 04:14 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Not on campus for our age group unless you're at high-risk (i.e. you have other respiratory complications).

It's kind of silly considering that H1N1 is affecting younger people because our immune system has such an elevated response.

daisy says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 10-30-2009 at 04:38 PM   #15
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

Just got home from getting it.

Apparently it isn't being offered publicly any more?! I just heard that through a friend :S