MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Those who have had the Swine flu fasailuddin General Discussion 12 11-19-2009 08:46 AM
Swine Flu Shots? kanishka General Discussion 16 10-30-2009 09:31 PM
Swine Flu!! Infinity General Discussion 4 09-10-2009 04:19 PM
Swine Flu -- Our university's preparedness aviaf General Discussion 37 06-11-2009 05:06 PM

Swine Flu & Exams!

Old 10-20-2009 at 07:44 PM   #31
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

All I can say is this whole Swine Flu thing getting out of hand:

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-20-2009 at 07:47 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Oh my effffffffff SO CUTE. ;D I want.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-20-2009 at 08:03 PM   #33
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
LMAO...
Old 10-27-2009 at 08:03 PM   #34
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Um. How exactly do they prevent abuse of this system?
I just spiked a 39.7 fever an hour ago...it got a little better with neocitran...i think the fact that i just used my iphone from bed to excuse myself from classes makes up for all the stupid morons wanting to skip a middterm(they do badly anyway)
In case you're wondering, I'm up to make some food and tea
Old 10-27-2009 at 08:20 PM   #35
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

I spent Saturday morning in emerg, and have been coughing my brains out for the last six days, if it makes you feel any better?

I also made use of the online reporting tool from bed (in Toronto).

And yeah, the fever really makes things a lot worse.
Old 10-27-2009 at 08:33 PM   #36
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

I feel for ya
Old 10-27-2009 at 08:42 PM   #37
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Likewise. Whoever thought this whole flu idea was a good invention must have been retarded...
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:34 PM   #38
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Get better you guys! And thanks for staying home . Nobody is suposed to go to the doc or emerg or a clinic unless they're getting a lot worse ( respiratory distress for example); a person is supposed to stay isolated, not spread it. Over 90% of flus right now are H1N1. Hope it is on the "quick" side of the spectrum for you!

adrian says thanks to daisy for this post.

adrian likes this.
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:43 PM   #39
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

: ) I agree with Daisy. I hope you all feel better soon.

Just as a note though, if you have a fever and it goes away and later remerges a few days later you should visit a clinic.

I know how debilitating the flu can be (coughing, sneezing, snotting up a storm) and how much a toll it can take on your body. I've coughed so hard that I've vomited multiple times, lost my voice, and couldn't even beat a kid at a race because I was so tired.

I wouldn't want to get sick again during the school year, H1N1 or not.

daisy likes this.
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:55 PM   #40
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
Get better you guys! And thanks for staying home . Nobody is suposed to go to the doc or emerg or a clinic unless they're getting a lot worse ( respiratory distress for example); a person is supposed to stay isolated, not spread it. Over 90% of flus right now are H1N1. Hope it is on the "quick" side of the spectrum for you!
Cheers.

I went to the walk in clinic on Dundurn Friday night (before I went home) since I felt particularly grisly that day, and they just made me put the N95 on since I was coughing. I asked the doc whether people should come in if they think they're contagious, and he said to basically use your common sense. Most people know if there's something the doctor will actually be able to help with. I was coughing up a lot of phlegm, so I knew I had a bacterial infection (and voila, antibiotics).

So... don't be afraid of going to the doc. Just hide yourself inside your shirt when you have coughing attacks. Otherwise, stay out of public
Old 10-28-2009 at 08:22 AM   #41
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madquarker View Post
Cheers.

I went to the walk in clinic on Dundurn Friday night (before I went home) since I felt particularly grisly that day, and they just made me put the N95 on since I was coughing. I asked the doc whether people should come in if they think they're contagious, and he said to basically use your common sense. Most people know if there's something the doctor will actually be able to help with. I was coughing up a lot of phlegm, so I knew I had a bacterial infection (and voila, antibiotics).

So... don't be afraid of going to the doc. Just hide yourself inside your shirt when you have coughing attacks. Otherwise, stay out of public
Pretty sure the average person (dare I say, idiot?) wouldn't know that. xD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-28-2009 at 08:39 AM   #42
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Well, I should have been more specific: if it's green, then it's bacterial. I'm not sure what other colours signify.
Old 10-28-2009 at 08:52 AM   #43
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madquarker View Post
Well, I should have been more specific: if it's green, then it's bacterial. I'm not sure what other colours signify.
If you're coughing up anything that's blue, I'd say go to the doctor :p
Old 10-28-2009 at 10:01 AM   #44
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
If you're coughing up anything that's blue, I'd say go to the doctor :p
Or Papa Smurf

adrian likes this.
Old 10-28-2009 at 11:19 AM   #45
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

White or clear mucus = acceptable. Likely a viral infection that can be fought by the body's own immune system. Does not warrant antibiotics.

Yellow, green and mucus of a thicker consistency - Bacterial infection. Antibiotics will likely be prescribed. This is also applicable for brown mucus.

Red mucus or mucus with blood - Massive warning sign especially for COPD patients. Consult a doctor immediately.

(I have a lot of respiratory infections)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

adrian, tungo89 all say thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.