MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can i still switch into a science program if the pre-reqs done in sem.1 MariaQ Academics 6 08-12-2010 01:13 AM
:D 1st year Lifesci cwong Introduce Yourself 1 07-07-2010 11:37 AM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Admitted to Social Sciences I, will i be able to switch into the BIOPSYCH program? MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-27-2010 03:24 PM
Anyone want to switch econ for health studies? minz Academics 1 01-11-2010 10:51 PM

Switch from Lifesci to health sci program by 2nd year??

Old 07-06-2010 at 06:45 AM   #16
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Yea, I'd say that going into first year about 95% of Health Scis are aiming for med school. By the end of the four years, it's about 50%. People find other interests or realize it's just not for them.

Anyway that's unrelated lol. Tips? Work hard, learn a lot, and enjoy your year as much as possible. Then providing your gpa is high enough, put most of your effort into the supplementary, as that's what really gets you once you pass the grade cut off.
In the end, like others said, whether you're in Healthsci or Lifesci, your chances at med school are the same. Trust me there is no "paved way" in that respect.
On the plus, if you do get into Healthsci as a transfer, you'll be far more prepared for second year healthsci than most healthscis that were in the program from the beginning..or so I've heard.
Old 07-06-2010 at 06:42 PM   #17
AK05

Liked: 0 Times

Goodluck
Old 07-06-2010 at 07:44 PM   #18
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Healthsci's do have an advantage @ mac's med school.. 40 of the 190 students mac take are from healthsci..and there are 160 healthsci students..so let's say half of them apply..u have a 50% chance of getting into mac. It's not really about what program you're in though ultimately..but rather how well you do and how well rounded you are. I know a guy who got into 3 (yes..THREE) med schools this year, and he was in mac kin. I'd reccomend reading "so you want to be a doctor, eh?" ..it's a real eye opener to the medical field. i'd say see how you like first year life sci this year..keep your marks up..and apply to health sci anyway? then see where you're at at the end of the year.

m0nica says thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Old 07-06-2010 at 07:58 PM   #19
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Just because people take electives it doesn't mean that they won't have the knowledge to become a doctor. I never bothered with bird courses because most of them were boring, but if you get into med school they're going to teach you a lot (both clinical and basic sciences) in first and second year (http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education...w#curricul um) . Medical schools are looking for people who have critical thinking skills rather than basic science knowledge.

Plus, some schools have prerequisites and MCAT requirements so most people have a general understanding of basic science concepts.

Regarding the break-down of the students from X faculty who get into medicine, many health scis do get into medicine and are aiming for medicine. According to my oh-so-scientific facebook creeper scan, 6 of my health sci friends and 8 life sci/bio/biochem friends (likely more according to another friend) are in my class.

If you're cut out for medicine, you should be able to get in from any program.

Last edited by Lij : 07-06-2010 at 08:27 PM.

m0nica says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 07-06-2010 at 08:36 PM   #20
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
Healthsci's do have an advantage @ mac's med school.. 40 of the 190 students mac take are from healthsci..and there are 160 healthsci students..so let's say half of them apply..u have a 50% chance of getting into mac. It's not really about what program you're in though ultimately..but rather how well you do and how well rounded you are. I know a guy who got into 3 (yes..THREE) med schools this year, and he was in mac kin. I'd reccomend reading "so you want to be a doctor, eh?" ..it's a real eye opener to the medical field. i'd say see how you like first year life sci this year..keep your marks up..and apply to health sci anyway? then see where you're at at the end of the year.
if you got the number 40 from the mac med school website, keep in mind that 'health sci' doesn't JUST mean mac health sci. other schools have "health sci" programs as well.

Again, i think it's totally irrelevent the number/percentage/whatever of people who get in from each faculty. In the end, you're still competing against people from all faculties anyways. What matters is how good YOU are, not what program you're in.

m0nica says thanks to nerual for this post.