MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching programs, same faculty stephanemone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-31-2010 10:33 AM
Switching programs from one faculty to another before first year. amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-22-2010 12:57 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Switch Programs In Second Year crazytown Academics 3 06-24-2009 07:34 PM
Switch programs within the faculty? bellaaa General Discussion 4 03-23-2009 09:01 PM

switch programs from one faculty to another?

Old 05-23-2010 at 02:00 PM   #1
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

switch programs from one faculty to another?
I'm a prospective student of McMasters, and have recently been admitted into Life Science program, (got rejected from Health :( ) Now, I'm wondering if it's possible to switch from a life science program to a program of different faculty eg. a nursing program.. This is for the reason that my physics teacher has not been covering what we're supposed to be covering in the curriculum and I fear to take the Physics course as it is required in level I Life Science... I'd appreciate an answer thanks.
Old 05-23-2010 at 02:05 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You can definitely switch programs. I think Andrew just switched into the accelerated nursing program after his second year?

First year physics isn't too bad. I took it in sketchy summer school where we all copied answers off of one another and I did well in first year. You might have to work a bit harder than the rest of your classmates in 1B03. Apparently there's an easier version 1L03 (?) now that wasn't offered before.
Old 05-23-2010 at 02:14 PM   #3
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Sorry but I'm going to sound very clueless.. So you mean I can switch not at this point but on my second year? I would sort of like more if i had the chance to switch before registration starts.. Ugh I'm soo confused apart from the strong anxiety i'm feeling LOL. If the former is the case then what if the courses I take this year from life sci do not lead me to a nursing 2nd year program?

btw, thanks very much jay for your quick response
Old 05-23-2010 at 02:16 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

You can unofficially shadow the program and then transfer in the next year.

I think nursing is different because it's hard to get into nursing courses unless you're in the program. I would contact the academic advisor for more information: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/cos_advising.shtml
Old 05-23-2010 at 02:25 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nica View Post
Sorry but I'm going to sound very clueless.. So you mean I can switch not at this point but on my second year? I would sort of like more if i had the chance to switch before registration starts.. Ugh I'm soo confused apart from the strong anxiety i'm feeling LOL. If the former is the case then what if the courses I take this year from life sci do not lead me to a nursing 2nd year program?

btw, thanks very much jay for your quick response
You can also switch after first year, but there are VERY limited spots. I believe 10 and the competition is between all university students who want to apply (They don't have to be from McMaster).

Jay is right, physics 1L03 is supposed to be equivalent to grade 12 physics. So you can take that before taken Physics 1B03.
Old 05-23-2010 at 02:39 PM   #6
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Jay is right, physics 1L03 is supposed to be equivalent to grade 12 physics. So you can take that before taken Physics 1B03.
I'm enrolled in a Physics 12 course, the only thing I'm worried about is the insufficient learning my teacher has been giving me.. I'm getting a 94 but that's only because he's taking it lightly on us. So isn't 1L03 only advised for people who's never taken physics 12?
Old 05-23-2010 at 02:42 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nica View Post
I'm enrolled in a Physics 12 course, the only thing I'm worried about is the insufficient learning my teacher has been giving me.. I'm getting a 94 but that's only because he's taking it lightly on us. So isn't 1L03 only advised for people who's never taken physics 12?
It doesn't say that in the undergraduate calendar. I don't think an extensive grade 12 background is necessarily needed for Physics 1B03 though. As long as you have taken the course you should know the basics. For me, physics in highschool was "plug these numbers into this equation" except for circuits which was more logic. In university there is a lot more theory and explanation of the equations. It takes some getting used to but I found it completely different from physics in highschool.

m0nica likes this.
Old 05-23-2010 at 02:53 PM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Yep, I recently transferred into the accelerated nursing program after two years of science. There are other options though if you would like to get into the program before third year. They do take a small number of students each year that have previous university experience, (10-20) which you could go for after first year, but you'd essentially be starting from first year again.

I think at this point it might be too late to switch into the first year nursing program, but you never know. Talk to an academic adviser ASAP, see what they can do/tell you.

If physics is your main concern, I really wouldn't worry about it. I found that my high school did not really adequately prepare me for any of the science courses I took, but I still found it easy enough to catch up. There are so many students entering from high schools that all taught differently, and professors understand this. Almost every prof I had for first year was willing to really go above and beyond to make sure you understand the material. There's also a physics extra help center located in one of the libraries.
Old 05-23-2010 at 02:56 PM   #9
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Thank You! You Allll Are Of Great Help