MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
switching programs, same faculty stephanemone First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-31-2010 10:33 AM
Switching programs from one faculty to another before first year. amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-22-2010 12:57 PM
switch programs from one faculty to another? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-23-2010 02:56 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part One: The Faculty of Social Science lorend Faculty & Program Series 4 09-01-2009 09:09 AM
Switch Programs In Second Year crazytown Academics 3 06-24-2009 07:34 PM

Switch programs within the faculty?

Old 03-22-2009 at 11:16 PM   #1
bellaaa

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Switch programs within the faculty?
hey, Im going to attend Mac in Sept.
and I've been given an offer of admission in the social science faculty under pollitical science
however Im thinking of switching over to psychology
they're both within the social science dept.
does that mean its possible for me to switch into psychology before the semester begins? If so, does anyone know how i should go about doing that?
thanks
Old 03-23-2009 at 12:05 AM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Hmm not sure but mostly probably you shold be able to! Since you don't actually "officially" decide and "declare" your majors till the start of second year. Even if you aren't allowed to change it initially you can always take the required psych courses and then "declare" your major as psych at the end of first year.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-23-2009 at 07:28 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Technically your program (according to all official documents) will be Soc Sci I. So as previously mentioned, yes, you can "switch" into Psych if you choose. Although you don't decide on what you will be majoring in for subsequent years until March. You might as well take both! First year gives you an option to test out the waters a lot, so take whatever you think will be interesting!!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

bellaaa says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 03-23-2009 at 08:59 AM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I'm not a hundred percent sure on this, but is Psychology even in social science anymore? I thought it switched to science, I could be wrong though. You will have needed grade 12 biology to take Psych or you'll have to take Biology 1P03 which is the first year equivalent to grade 12 just in case you weren't aware. But yeah, you can take anything you want first year, as long as you're satisfying the requirements for the program. Go crazy with your electives ... but I suggest having a couple ideas for what you may want to major in next year, and then see what requirements they have.
Old 03-23-2009 at 09:01 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

So long as you're able to apply to Soc Sci Psych still the program still exists.

They are phasing the program out...but no one is exactly sure what their plan is for phasing it out at this time

...or at least I can't figure it out...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement