MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching courses, will there be this unavailibility problem? desimac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-14-2010 10:56 AM
switching courses Johnnyzzz Academics 2 09-13-2010 02:35 PM
Switching into kin PockyWarrior Academics 2 04-12-2010 07:38 PM
Switching to Engineering...help! ShouldBeStudying Academics 3 12-25-2009 06:12 PM
Switching my Second Term Courses RoyK First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-05-2008 04:02 PM

Switching Courses?

Old 06-01-2008 at 10:20 AM   #1
emartin07

Liked: 0 Times

Switching Courses?
Hey, I was wondering if it is relatively easy or possible to transfer from one major/course to another? I got accepted for Political Science but I would like to eventually switch over to Business. Is this possible? And if so is it difficult?

Thanks very much
Old 06-01-2008 at 11:39 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yup, you can do it. You just have to follow all of the requirements for Business I. (Econ, Math etc). Then in March of your first year you are asked to choose a major(s). Then you would put Commerce as one of your choices.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-01-2008 at 08:04 PM   #3
emartin07

beauty thanks very much! I was really worried about that !
Old 06-06-2008 at 06:52 AM   #4
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

How difficult is it to transfer into Health Sciences after first year?
Old 06-06-2008 at 12:36 PM   #5
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey katie_batt. I know of 3 ppl that applied after year I and I know that 2/3 of them got in. You have to maintain a 9.5 average during first year and also submit a supplementary application again. It really depends on how well you do in first year. Its a new environment and learning style, so your marks may drop a little or a lot. It is possible to get in during second year, if you work hard. I can't really commit that much on the possibility of getting a 9.5 average, cause everyone has different learning styles, etc.

Here is the site that has more information: http://www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/admissions/level2.htm

There is only the Year II transfer, after that you can not apply to transfer in again. Also make note of the course requirements, but genreally you have most of them if you are in sciences. hope that helps.
Old 06-09-2008 at 12:28 PM   #6
pjohnson
Liaison Officer - Registrar's Office

Liked: Liked 2 Times

EMartin,

While it is possible to transfer into Business after completing first year of Social Sciences, please keep in mind that transfer spaces are limited and it is not quite as simple as just taking the right courses in first year and then listing Business as your major in March. You need to get a very good average in first year in order to be competitive for one of the few transfer spaces available into Commerce II.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2008 at 08:02 PM   #7
emartin07

Thanks very much, I was wondering though even if I am in Political Science is it possible for me to take the appropriate business courses ?
Old 06-10-2008 at 06:52 AM   #8
pjohnson
Liaison Officer - Registrar's Office

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Yes it is possible to take all the Business I courses as a Social Sciences I student with the exception of one 3-unit course (which you could pick up in second year if you were successful in making the switch to Commerce II).