MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching Majors Question Danielle.g Academics 1 11-05-2011 07:45 PM
switching to life science from econ 2nd year rmfldkdtm Academics 1 11-02-2011 01:00 PM
Life Sci and majors byulnim First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 10-07-2011 02:11 PM
Second Year Political Science Majors (Honours) Ruggedman Academics 1 08-12-2009 06:32 AM
Political Science Majors Ruggedman Academics 24 06-23-2009 11:23 PM

Switching life science majors

Old 01-12-2013 at 02:46 PM   #1
simsandmax

Liked: 0 Times

Switching life science majors
Im in first year life science and im thinking of majoring in either bio or bio and psych. I didn't take psych xx3 cuz my semester is really cramped right now. Im thinking is it possible to major in bio then next year take psych xx3 and switch into pnb?
Old 01-12-2013 at 02:49 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you can still add psych 1xx3 or do it in summer which will allow you to get into pnb this year.
Old 01-12-2013 at 02:58 PM   #3
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Actually, no, I'm fairly certain that you can't take it during the summer and get in for next year, you need psych 1XX3 now because PNB is a limited enrolment program, so admission is judged at the end of term 2. Having psych 1X03 and 1XX3 by the end of april is really important for getting in because they are a core requirement.

There's still time to switch into 1XX3 now, but otherwise I'd suggest you email Ann hollingshead for further information. [email protected]
Old 01-12-2013 at 03:16 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^they dont do conditional acceptances for pnb?
Old 01-12-2013 at 03:26 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^they dont do conditional acceptances for pnb?
They might, but I personally wouldn't recommend hoping for that because it is limited enrolment. in addition, because 1XX3 and 1X03 are the two main courses they look at when offering admission, I don't know if they'd be willing to offer conditional acceptance if one of those is missing. but again, it's better to email Ann and see what she says.

Quote:
QUESTION 2

Do Spring/Summer courses count toward the admission requirements for Level II programs?

ANSWER 2:

Yes, you can complete Spring/Summer course(s) required for admission to an Honours Program for the subsequent Fall/Winter session. If you show registration in the course or courses still needed for admission and you meet of the other admission requirements, you may receive a 'conditional offer' of acceptance to a Level II program. Upon successful completion of the Spring/Summer course(s) (i.e. the required grade for admission is obtained) acceptance to a Level II program will be granted.

NOTE: In the case of Limited-Enrolment Programs (LEPs), completion of a course required for admission during the Spring/Summer does not guarantee acceptance as priority will be given to those students who completed the courses in the preceding Fall/Winter session.
- source

Faer likes this.
Old 01-12-2013 at 03:43 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I know for a fact that they've done conditional acceptance with limited enrollment programs in the past, however each program might have slightly different rules surrounding it, and I think it also depends on program demand. You should contact the department to see what the best course of action is.

In general it's harder to switch from a less specialized program to a more specialized program. How is your term "cramped"? I'd consider dropping one of the courses that isn't required for biopsych and replacing it with psych 1XX3, then you can take the course that you drop next year (instead of taking 1XX3 next year). If later on you decide to switch from biopsych to bio, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old 01-12-2013 at 03:46 PM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Hmmm...I think your best bet will be to talk to Ann Hollingshead, if you're really interested in getting into BioPsych. You definitely do need 1XX3 for it, but you might be able to do it next year and then request a transfer into the program. Your third year will be Psych intensive then, because you need five mandatory PNB courses on your list (PNB 2XA3, XB3, XC3, XE3, 3XE3). You can theoretically take them in your third year, but that would be cutting it really close (you know, scrambling to get all the credits together).

Talk to Ann!
Old 01-14-2013 at 03:27 PM   #8
ungc

Liked: 0 Times

You can switch into pnb from biology. You would just need to go to the Associate Dean's office sometime next year so they can input your information as wanting to be considered for a transfer. I suggest that you try to take psych xx3 now because transferring is much harder than getting in after first year.