MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sci and majors byulnim First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 10-07-2011 02:11 PM
All My Pnb Majors Where You At? SirPhil Academics 55 08-09-2011 08:04 AM
Majors noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-27-2009 10:43 PM
For Economics Majors: Quick Question huzaifa47 General Discussion 7 07-01-2009 03:58 PM
majors in Mac lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-22-2009 11:00 AM

Switching Majors Question

Old 11-05-2011 at 03:13 PM   #1
Danielle.g

Liked: 0 Times

Switching Majors Question
How difficult is it to switch what you're majoring in? I'm second year Political Science and Philosophy and was thinking about no longer majoring in Philosophy and maybe majoring in Communications instead. Is that even possible? How does that work? Do I have to go back to the beginning?

Thanks!!
Old 11-05-2011 at 07:45 PM   #2
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle.g View Post
How difficult is it to switch what you're majoring in? I'm second year Political Science and Philosophy and was thinking about no longer majoring in Philosophy and maybe majoring in Communications instead. Is that even possible? How does that work? Do I have to go back to the beginning?

Thanks!!
It's not difficult at all, you just need to make sure you meet the first year requirements for the program (though I assume its similar to your current major right now). When I switched majors, I just went into the Academic Advisers office of my faculty and asked if it was possible, and we talked about it. They make all the changes themselves and all you need to do is accept the changes the following year when you choose your courses via SOLAR - assuming they allow you to switch.
You're not necessairly going back to the "beginning" - you will still have all of the courses you have already taken, and they will most likely be counted as electives in that case. You are starting from the beginning again in the sense that you will be taking all the required first year communication courses, whatever those may be.

If you are planning on switching, I would say go talk to your Academic adviser and see whats the fastest way to get into the program you want to get into (i.e., what courses to take next semester so you can get in asap).

Danielle.g says thanks to Deegs14 for this post.