MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical Eng/Mgmt Textbooks Question Theashe Academics 2 08-20-2011 04:02 PM
Mechatronics & Mgmt OR Biomed Elec Eng (PLZ HELP!) patso29 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-09-2011 01:10 AM
Switching into Software Engineering from Computer Science julianface Academics 19 02-11-2011 09:10 AM
Engineering Mgmt. Electives GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 05-20-2010 12:46 PM

Switching from Mechatronics Mgmt to Software Mgmt Level 2

Old 10-18-2011 at 08:18 PM   #1
kevcom

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Switching from Mechatronics Mgmt to Software Mgmt Level 2
So I'm currently pursuing my Mechatronics and Management degree. I'm in second year and finding the work load extremely overwhelming. For example, this past weekend, I went out once, for an hour. The rest of the weekend I spent doing homework. A few of the courses I'm finding are uninteresting (notably Statics and Dynamics), and another (Eng Phys) has ridiculous labs and assignments. All this work is being detrimental to my physical and mental health. I can say I have no social life anymore.

I'm thinking of switching into software engineering and mgmt. Does anyone have any insight on my particular situation, or could offer me suggestions? I've always done well in computer programming courses, whereas I've had to work extra hard to do well in physics. Also, in thinking about my possible career options, I see myself as being better suited to work on a software project, rather than one that is multidisciplinary in nature - such as building an industrial robot. Here's the hitch though - I've always loved, as a hobby, playing around with electrical circuits, making electrical modifications to my bike, trying to build a go cart, etc.

Another option i'm considering is spreading my degree out over an extra year. I feel like dropping one course (out of the six I'm currently taking) would open up a lot of free time for me.

It's been a tough week and I just failed my math midterm. I'm trying to decide whether to stay in Tron or make the switch. Feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by kevcom : 10-18-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spreading out my degree
Old 10-18-2011 at 08:31 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I know plenty of people in mechatronics. Second year is going to be the worst for you - especially this semester (at least in my opinion). I think it's like this to filter out the people who aren't willing to do the work. Just bare with it until third year and it's pretty much smooth sailing from there.

Also, protip - mechatronics and software converge (especially software and embedded) after second year.
Old 10-18-2011 at 08:41 PM   #3
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Hey, Kevin. It's your 2AA2 group-mate, Paul.

Yes, 2nd year Tron was a bit overwhelming, but you learn to organize your time quite well.

Hit me up on Facebook if you want to talk.
Old 10-18-2011 at 08:56 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

i found right now between the 3 or 4 weekly assignments plus tests that it has been a lot of work, but once it begins to die off it should be better. it was like first year when we had the 6 midterms plus assignments over 2 weeks, had no social life or anything but it got better.

if you decide you want to switch, you should wait till second semester if anything, and decide over the christmas break if thats what you want
Old 10-18-2011 at 08:59 PM   #5
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Im in elec and biomed . im seriously hating it right now.. well elec eng 2ci5. But as Dilion said, they want to weed as us out. You arent the only one who legit just failed math.
Old 10-18-2011 at 09:27 PM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Second year is overwhelming for sure. I felt very much the same in first term as well (minus the mgmt stuff). I just couldn't keep up with the workload and it was just insane some weeks. My advice, stick it out and keep going. Don't let this one math midterm put you down! It does get waaaay better in 3rd and 4th year!

P.S. Were having a Pool Night next Friday. Come out for a short while, talk to some upper years and take a break lol

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 10-18-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2011 at 11:07 PM   #7
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Hey!

Just think about the sense of accomplishment you'll get once you're done this semester. It's really great to look back and think of how much you have survived

hamnahx02 likes this.
Old 10-19-2011
Leeoku
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-19-2011 at 05:33 AM   #8
SmSm

Liked: 0 Times

drop math courses and any elective courses and take them in spring/summer semester.it should be easier and you will not be stressed if you do that you don't need to stay at university for another year.
Old 10-19-2011 at 08:19 AM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Im in elec and biomed . im seriously hating it right now.. well elec eng 2ci5. But as Dilion said, they want to weed as us out. You arent the only one who legit just failed math.
My prof from 2ci5 said "if you arn't enjoying this class, you should seriously consider switching disciplines".

Just sayin
Old 10-19-2011 at 01:50 PM   #10
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by muons View Post
Hey!

Just think about the sense of accomplishment you'll get once you're done this semester. It's really great to look back and think of how much you have survived

Kevin has to realistic as well...Engineering is not something one can easily pull through!

The only thing he'll be looking back on is his bad grades saying "i should have done something about this earlier!"

Yes, it is a sense of accomplishment; how ever ur jeopardizing ur future!

hes right, tht math midterm was a beast! ---> its questionable if any one passed (i heard the avg last year was 32)
Old 10-19-2011 at 02:05 PM   #11
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by muons View Post
Hey!

Im sorry, but being realistic should take precedence over the "sense of accomplishment you'll get once you're done this semester", it could also be a feeling of depression and anxiety b/c you failed the semester all because you couldn't realistically assess how much you can handle.
Old 10-20-2011 at 08:44 AM   #12
kevcom

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Now that round 1 of midterms is over, I'm going to really try and focus on working more efficiently, and duking it out until the end of the year. I'm leaning towards staying in Tron, but I'll take the Christmas break to think about it.
Old 10-20-2011 at 11:21 AM   #13
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post

wait till third year elecbiomed
then it really gets serious. Ci5 was fun compared to later elec courses (3ej4). not to mention anatomy is the biggest time waster of alll time.

oh and as for last year math being horrible, that was 2zz3 (second semester). have fun with that. Average was pretty high for first semester math.