MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help, with mechatronics Moson Mo General Discussion 24 01-20-2011 08:21 AM
Engineering Mgmt. Electives GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 05-20-2010 12:46 PM
Lab Conflict? (Mechatronics Eng) AnguishedEnd Academics 3 08-18-2009 10:37 PM
HELP with mechatronics courses quick!! highoutput Academics 8 06-22-2009 02:23 AM
Mechatronics cowpuppy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-30-2009 02:49 PM

Mechatronics & Mgmt OR Biomed Elec Eng (PLZ HELP!)

Old 06-01-2011 at 03:12 PM   #1
patso29

Liked: 3 Times

Mechatronics & Mgmt OR Biomed Elec Eng (PLZ HELP!)
Okk so I just finished first year and all yada yada yada...basically I applied to mechatronics and management and got in but now I'm second guessing whether I should be doing biomed/elec because I am generally just a horrible decision maker who always second guesses their decisions, which leads to a lot of stress and time spent reminiscing over what could've been

Here's some quick facts about me:

1) I love human bio, not stupid plants and such
2) I can't look at bloody dead things and/or cut up or dissect this type of stuff (why i initially chose mech, heard u have to do cadaver labs in biomed)
3) I like business/group projects/presentations (why I want to be in mgmt)
4) I hated the circuit labs from 1st year physics
5) I found that I like programming but I don't really care for building robots, I just like new upcoming technologies in general (which is why i picked mechatronics)
6) I'm into music production and all so I figured mechatronics or elec would give me some insight on how to make like synths/speakers/dj equipment ....like especially the embedded stuff

As you can see I have quite the dilemma....i like bio, i like business, circuits labs are death, don't care about making robots, etc..... and as a result my head feels like it's gonna explode daily, I don't know if I should switch to biomed, I just want to be happy with my decision for the next 4 years

ANY HELP/OPINIONS would be greatlyyy appreciated from upper years in both biomed and mech and management, I have until Wednesday June 8th to decide...and yes I am able to switch and all that.... plzzzz help it's driving me nuts

- Julian
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:23 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I think you should stay with your decision. If you hate circuits and are scared of cadavers, then I don't really see why you would go into biomedical and electrical. As far as I know, electrical is almost entirely circuits.

Mechatronics is kind of the sampler of the electrical/software/physics/mechanical streams (probably closest to software), so it would be a good fit who for someone who is interested in everything, but not the gory details.
Old 06-01-2011 at 06:03 PM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

If you said you did bad in 1e03 i would say give it a second chance, but if you actually HATE circuit going into electrical is pointless. But looking at the courses, looks like you won't be able to avoid it.if you take your business courses during the summer you can swish in some bio courses
Old 06-01-2011 at 06:13 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Biomed is heavily involved with circuitry for your entire degree... at least 8 courses dealing with circuits. Anatomy and phys is the only course with cadavers.. I couldn't find a single person who actually had a problem with dissection though.

Mech sounds like a solid choice. All of the people I know in mech are the cool kidz
Old 06-01-2011 at 07:08 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Mech sounds like a solid choice. All of the people I know in mech are the cool kidz
Mech = Mechanical
Tron = Mechatronics

GrahamA says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 06-01-2011 at 07:35 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patso29 View Post
Okk so I just finished first year and all yada yada yada...basically I applied to mechatronics and management and got in but now I'm second guessing whether I should be doing biomed/elec because I am generally just a horrible decision maker who always second guesses their decisions, which leads to a lot of stress and time spent reminiscing over what could've been

2) I can't look at bloody dead things and/or cut up or dissect this type of stuff (why i initially chose mech, heard u have to do cadaver labs in biomed)
5) I found that I like programming but I don't really care for building robots, I just like new upcoming technologies in general (which is why i picked mechatronics)
6) I'm into music production and all so I figured mechatronics or elec would give me some insight on how to make like synths/speakers/dj equipment ....like especially the embedded stuff

As you can see I have quite the dilemma....i like bio, i like business, circuits labs are death, don't care about making robots, etc..... and as a result my head feels like it's gonna explode daily, I don't know if I should switch to biomed, I just want to be happy with my decision for the next 4 years

ANY HELP/OPINIONS would be greatlyyy appreciated from upper years in both biomed and mech and management, I have until Wednesday June 8th to decide...and yes I am able to switch and all that.... plzzzz help it's driving me nuts

- Julian
Biomed is not for you, neither is electrical.

If you hate circuits, don't even bother with comp/elec/biomed

Enjoy tron :p
Old 06-02-2011 at 03:03 PM   #7
patso29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I think you should stay with your decision. If you hate circuits and are scared of cadavers, then I don't really see why you would go into biomedical and electrical. As far as I know, electrical is almost entirely circuits.

Mechatronics is kind of the sampler of the electrical/software/physics/mechanical streams (probably closest to software), so it would be a good fit who for someone who is interested in everything, but not the gory details.
See this is what I thought but everyone keeps associating mechatronics with robots, and I don't want to solely build robots, can any1 who's in mechatronics now tell me if thats what it's actually like? ...and it's not that Im bad at the elec physics, like I think i got an 11, it's just that the circuit labs were torturous but yah is electrical basically just constantly building circuits? I heard it was much broader than that
Old 06-02-2011 at 04:56 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
See this is what I thought but everyone keeps associating mechatronics with robots, and I don't want to solely build robots, can any1 who's in mechatronics now tell me if thats what it's actually like? ...and it's not that Im bad at the elec physics, like I think i got an 11, it's just that the circuit labs were torturous but yah is electrical basically just constantly building circuits? I heard it was much broader than that
Electrical Job Fields:
-Software
-Electronics
-Power
-Telecommunications
-Hardware programming

So, if any of those topics interest you, just work through elec eng and then enjoy the rest of your career in a field you want.
Old 06-02-2011 at 05:39 PM   #9
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

I was in Tron & Management in my second year but then switched into Elec & Biomed last year. First off, I didn't really enjoy management, but that's just me. As for Tron, I enjoyed it to an extent. It was just too much software and not enough circuits/mech stuff for my liking. The ECE department really takes it slow and drills in the basics for circuit design and programming.

Tron gives you a very well-rounded taste of everything, but second year was pretty dry. This year in biomed is pretty much identical with the exception of chem and bio, and it wasn't that bad.

I understand that third year Tron gets into the more practical side, but so does Biomed, so it's really up to how you feel about it.

Both are great programs, it just took me a year to realize Tron wasn't for me... lol
Old 06-03-2011 at 07:53 PM   #10
patso29

ahh I don't know what to do, does elec biomed even have that much bio in it? because that would be the sole reason I would switch...wait does anyone know if I could take the bio elec courses in my upper years as electives!! can't believe I didn't think of this before
Old 06-03-2011 at 10:21 PM   #11
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
ahh I don't know what to do, does elec biomed even have that much bio in it? because that would be the sole reason I would switch...wait does anyone know if I could take the bio elec courses in my upper years as electives!! can't believe I didn't think of this before
What do you see yourself doing in 5-10 or even 20 years ?
Old 06-03-2011 at 10:47 PM   #12
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I didnt mention it before becuase according to this. http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1230.html

In levels 3 to 5,you have to take the following

3 units approved technical electives from List A (Contact the Department of Computing and Software.) and 3 units approved technical electives from List B (Contact the Department of Computing and Software.)

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1214.html
For biomedical we take
technical electives from an approved list of Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering Level III or IV courses
From that I gathered the list were different. Maybe you should contact the biomed department, you might get lucky.
Old 06-04-2011 at 07:14 PM   #13
patso29

@Icecream I have no idea...lol I'm just trying to get a degree in something that has to do with my interests atm, the thing is im interested in bio but I don't want to be a doctor or deal with sick/dying people, its so depressing...but I do like bio
Old 06-06-2011 at 02:18 PM   #14
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

http://www.canada.com/topics/technol...5-cb02da08145b
Old 06-07-2011 at 05:14 PM   #15
Noraa

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:

- Julian
Well, I am in Mechatronics Engineering and Management. Sadly, I must inform you that both your decision contains a LOT of circuits. If you really hate those, I think you might have gotten yourself in a situation. But I don't think you will find it as bad, since electrical circuits have a great deal of relevance to synths. These electrical circuits creates filters, which can be done in both circuits and software. There is a course in SW/Tron that teaches a about filters which relates greatly with music production. (SWE 2MX3, if I am not mistaken) In the later years, you'll learn about signal analysis and how to create filters to do awesome things to it. Like how to encrypt your own message into a song file or to write and create your own sound effects. Eventually, you'll understand how all the crap you learn in your earlier years fit together and will have an appreciation of all the crazy stuff you have to learn in Mechatronics.

The programming you are going to get are the standard programming every electrical engineer and software engineer will have. There will be two different type of programming, the traditional C/C++ and your VHDL.

Since, you don't like dead things, there are a few course they you arn't going to like. I know that Bio/Med requires a course where you have to work with cadavers.

PS: MECH = MECH ENG, TRON = MECHATRONICS

Last edited by Noraa : 06-07-2011 at 05:17 PM.

patso29 says thanks to Noraa for this post.