MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year engineering electives :S fresh prince First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-05-2010 03:23 PM
Engineering Electives kanishka Academics 27 04-19-2010 06:45 PM
Electives for 1st Year Engineering... shahbah General Discussion 6 06-29-2009 11:05 PM
1st year engineering electives Strongwiller Academics 1 11-27-2008 07:00 PM
First Year Electives for Engineering street2soul Academics 0 07-16-2008 06:57 PM

Engineering Mgmt. Electives

Old 05-18-2010 at 04:42 PM   #1
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

Engineering Mgmt. Electives
Hi guys,
I know that if you want the option to go into eng mgmt. you need to take ECON 1BO3 but, I was just looking at the course calendar for 2010/11 and I noticed this: "ECON 1B03 and 1BB3 can be taken in either order or concurrently." Does that meant that I have to take both 1BO3 and 1BB3?

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 05-18-2010 at 04:48 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPat View Post
Hi guys,
I know that if you want the option to go into eng mgmt. you need to take ECON 1BO3 but, I was just looking at the course calendar for 2010/11 and I noticed this: "ECON 1B03 and 1BB3 can be taken in either order or concurrently." Does that meant that I have to take both 1BO3 and 1BB3?

Thanks,
Garrett
If it says only Econ 1B03, that means you only need that one course. Most people take both Econs but since EVERYONE takes them they tell people that they can be taken independently because they don't want everyone flooding one Econ in first semester.

So you only need 1B03.
Old 05-18-2010 at 04:52 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Pretty sure its still 1B03 to go into management. And afcourse, a roughly ~8 GPA.
Old 05-18-2010 at 05:49 PM   #4
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Garrett
You'll have to take Econ 1B03 to be considered for the management program. You'll need to take Econ 1BB3 eventually after first year as it is required to complete the management program.

I took both Econ 1B03 and 1BB3 in first year and I had a spare 3 units for my 2nd year which I used for another elective.

And you can take Econ 1BB3 before 1B03 or the other way around. You can also take them both at the same time. Neither course is a prerequisite for the other.

If you have any other questions about the management program then feel free to ask. There are a couple of us management students lurking on macinsiders.

EDIT: Also be aware that you will have to have a higher GPA to be accepted into your preferred program + management. For example if you applied to Mechanical alone you might need a 6 GPA, but if you apply to Mechanical + Management then you might need a 7-8 GPA instead. All these numbers are according to the 12-point grade system used by mcmaster

Also it might be a good idea to consider other options outside of management. Society gives you an extra year like management, but you have have freedom in your choice of electives. You can use these electives to pursue a minor in finance, accounting, business, and so on. I know some people aren't happy with the fact that the management program only gives you the "MGT" on your degree, instead of a full minor.

Last edited by khaotic : 05-18-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2010 at 06:04 PM   #5
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

ok thank you, I guess I will take both, as they are the only courses that intrest me anyway
Old 05-18-2010 at 06:08 PM   #6
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotic View Post
I know some people aren't happy with the fact that the management program only gives you the "MGT" on your degree, instead of a full minor.
I was talking to a grad student recently, who said that some employers are still confused about the "management" term on your degree, whereas a minor is a more established concept. If you're really passionate about the business/managment side of things, you might also want to consider getting a minor in business.
The extra year to get your MBA later isn't such a big deal, especially since you'd be spending the extra year in school now anyway.
Old 05-18-2010 at 06:13 PM   #7
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I was talking to a grad student recently, who said that some employers are still confused about the "management" term on your degree, whereas a minor is a more established concept. If you're really passionate about the business/managment side of things, you might also want to consider getting a minor in business.
The extra year to get your MBA later isn't such a big deal, especially since you'd be spending the extra year in school now anyway.
I sometimes regret not choosing society over management. The management program is a good program, but it bugs me that I won't be getting a minor when I'm basically doing more than enough units for it.
Old 05-18-2010 at 06:23 PM   #8
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotic View Post
I sometimes regret not choosing society over management. The management program is a good program, but it bugs me that I won't be getting a minor when I'm basically doing more than enough units for it.
I know what you mean. I'm in Society though, and sometimes I get frustrated with my minor. Especially in faculties with small class sizes, and lots of required courses, its hard to actually take all the classes required for a minor. I've overloaded on courses for the past four semesters, and I still don't know if I can get my minor, because I have three required philosophy classes next semester that i don't think will fit with an Eng schedule.
That being said, I'm glad I picked society
Old 05-18-2010 at 07:12 PM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
ok thank you, I guess I will take both, as they are the only courses that intrest me anyway
No offense, but if econ 1B03 and 1BB3 are the only things on the list of electives you find interesting; you must be a very boring person. lol
Old 05-18-2010 at 07:33 PM   #10
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

they aren't the only ones on that list, but it seems that the ones that perk my interest all have an asterisk beside them, and the ones that remain are either lanugages (of some sort), math or science which I will have enough of anyway. Plus I have to take 1BB3 sometime anyway...

EDIT: But if you have any course suggestions...

Last edited by GCSM : 05-18-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2010 at 08:57 PM   #11
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
No offense, but if econ 1B03 and 1BB3 are the only things on the list of electives you find interesting; you must be a very boring person. lol
The engineering "approved" electives list has a ridiculously limited selection of appealing courses. I agree with the previous poster, theres not much on it I found interesting either. Micro, macro, and labour studies were just about it. I'd say you'd have to be a pretty boring person if you found the rest of the mundane crap on there "interesting".
Old 05-19-2010 at 09:54 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
I'd say you'd have to be a pretty boring person if you found the rest of the mundane crap on there "interesting".
I take it you only find courses potentially related to engineering interesting?

I think everything in the white box looks interesting. Much better than the list of electives I had to choose from for second year (List C).

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 05-19-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2010 at 07:10 AM   #13
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I take it you only find courses potentially related to engineering interesting?
Thats quite the assumption. In fact, unlike most engineering students who posses a rather narrow scope of interests and appear to shun anything else, I'm very open and like leaning and doing many other things. However, you should note that a majority of the electives on the list consist of only history or various languages. There is not enough variety for it to appeal broadly.
Old 05-20-2010 at 10:05 AM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Well, I don't see what else they could have possibly put on there without venturing back into the science and math based courses (which is why we have electives in the first place; to get away from that).
Old 05-20-2010 at 12:46 PM   #15
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
The engineering "approved" electives list has a ridiculously limited selection of appealing courses. I agree with the previous poster, theres not much on it I found interesting either. Micro, macro, and labour studies were just about it. I'd say you'd have to be a pretty boring person if you found the rest of the mundane crap on there "interesting".
I agree. The list is somewhat limited. If astronomy was on there I would have taken it in a heart beat.