MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year engineering electives :S fresh prince First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-05-2010 03:23 PM
6 units of first year engineering electives kevcom First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-01-2010 11:56 PM
Engineering Electives kanishka Academics 27 04-19-2010 06:45 PM
1st year engineering electives Strongwiller Academics 1 11-27-2008 07:00 PM
First Year Electives for Engineering street2soul Academics 0 07-16-2008 06:57 PM

Electives for 1st Year Engineering...

Old 06-29-2009 at 05:07 PM   #1
shahbah

Liked: 0 Times

Electives for 1st Year Engineering...
Hey...
I am attending Mac for engineering starting this fall.
I was confused about which electives should i take.
I have no clue. Please give me some suggestions.
If you have taken any electives tell me about its difficulty level and the amount of work that needs to be put into it.
Thanks.

Last edited by shahbah : 06-29-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2009 at 05:46 PM   #2
dilks

Liked: 4 Times

Alright engineering electives I'm sure there is a longer post with but I dunno. Why not start it up again. I did my first year last year and I found when choosing my electives that there wasn't many that interested me personally. I ended up taking both first year economics courses(as many engineers due). I found them both easy and was successful in pulling off high grades in both. I'd say there is roughly an assignment every week online that are easy if you read the book or in some cases there are practice assignments with basically the same questions(micro econ). Probably as an engineer you will find it really easy almost boring and not want to attend class(but go anyway). Overall the econ courses aren't a brutal amount of work but pretty easy anyway. Most of the engineers I know also took both econs so I have no more info to share.
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:02 PM   #3
shahbah

well, I don't know too much about econ... If I take it, will I do okay in econ...??? From you signature, I read that you are into Electrical Engineering... I was wondering what GPA you had to maintain for electrical engineering II... I know that it varies ever years... but i want to have an approximation in mind... thanks for the reply...
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:05 PM   #4
aziz917

yeah i am also going in first year engineering, and think of taking atleast one of the econ coarses. Do you guys recommend Geog 1ha3 and communication studies 1a03?
Old 06-29-2009 at 06:38 PM   #5
dilks

I did no business courses in highschool and found it east a lot of the concepts seemed common sense. As for my average it was 8.9(mcmaster scale) I believe the average to get in is around 4-5 pretty low. Changes from year to year as you say and if you want the five year versions management, society etc its a bit higher.
Old 06-29-2009 at 09:54 PM   #6
hydravien

i'll have to say that none of the courses look particularly interesting to me either. having been forced to take french throughout highschool and thoroughly disliking it i was actually really wanting to take latin or greek as an elective... sadly they were full. i also took history (mostly european) and i was also wanting to take the respective history course... which is also full.

ultimately i ended up taking roman and greek history and also the history of roman and greek archaeology which i think will interest me.... kind of the least of several evils but overall im happy with my choice and i think i'll enjoy them.
Old 06-29-2009 at 11:05 PM   #7
dilks

If history interests you then go for it its going to be a good escape from the technical courses. I personally was about to do history but the essays would have killed me. Econ gives you zero essays good substitute for boredom.