MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year engineering electives :S fresh prince First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-05-2010 03:23 PM
Is it possible to take 33 units (for non-engineering students) ever? shreya s. Academics 8 04-27-2010 09:03 AM
Electives for 1st Year Engineering... shahbah General Discussion 6 06-29-2009 11:05 PM
1st year engineering electives Strongwiller Academics 1 11-27-2008 07:00 PM
First Year Electives for Engineering street2soul Academics 0 07-16-2008 06:57 PM

6 units of first year engineering electives

Old 07-01-2010 at 04:02 PM   #1
kevcom

Liked: Liked 3 Times

6 units of first year engineering electives
Hi All,

I'm going into my first year at Mac and I"m taking Engineering. For the required courses it states I must take 6 units of "approved complementary studies electives." The only elective course I am interested in right now is a geography course which is 3 units large. Is it possible that I only do 3 units of electives in my first year, and complete the other units down the road?

Also, I am planning on doing co-op. I believe that means I must take the 1EE0 course in my first year, which from my understanding is a small work-load no units course that prepares you for co-op?

Thanks for the help!

kevcom
Old 07-01-2010 at 04:09 PM   #2
eric_3490

Liked: 7 Times

I'm pretty sure you don't have too take 2 electives in first year if you don't want to as long as you have the requirements before you graduate. Also Eng 1EE0 isn't a full course that goes on your timetable, you can take it anytime throughout the year. I think you can choose how you want to take it, I did 4 hrs of class for 2 Saturdays in a row.

Old 07-01-2010 at 04:13 PM   #3
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

As long as you take the electives at some point, you'll be fine. You need them to graduate. The only disadvantage to not taking them is that, if you have the same GPA as somebody else who took the full course load (2 electives as opposed to 1) they'll be given preference for program selection.

Old 07-01-2010 at 04:26 PM   #4
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

If youre only interested in a geography course now then you may as well sign up for econ 1b03 since practically everyone takes it eventually
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:36 PM   #5
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by irule333 View Post
If youre only interested in a geography course now then you may as well sign up for econ 1b03 since practically everyone takes it eventually
i had no choice but to take geog and econ, coz the rest were all english based course and they science related course needed some prerequisite.

Would u recommend me taking Econ. since I have no experience in economics although i have done business in skool.
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:56 PM   #6
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
i had no choice but to take geog and econ, coz the rest were all english based course and they science related course needed some prerequisite.

Would u recommend me taking Econ. since I have no experience in economics although i have done business in skool.
Ya if you dont like english based courses microeconomics involves ZERO writing and is mostly concerned with graphs and simple and very objective concepts...no essays and no short answers

As for taking economics before...it really is not necessary to know economics prior to this course

if the prof is the same, then the course will have awesome lecture slides that you can learn from (altho i used the book because the slides were really "just what you need to know" style, which i didnt like that much)

if you dont take it in first year you will very likely take it later anyways...theres only so many courses without any essays and no prior knowledge required...

jon.john23 says thanks to irule333 for this post.