MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching Programs seif12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 10-20-2012 08:33 PM
Switching programs gggggg Academics 3 08-21-2012 10:50 PM
Switching Programs after 1st year Rob Mac Academics 2 05-31-2012 09:03 PM
switching programs Rigoroso Academics 1 05-04-2011 06:01 AM
Switching programs from one faculty to another before first year. amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 06-22-2010 12:57 PM

Switching programs in fourth year

Old 03-06-2014 at 03:22 PM   #1
bruni

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Switching programs in fourth year
Hey guys,

I am in my final year and have recently determined what career I want to get into. Problem is, I'm missing some prerequisites; a few are kin courses which I unsuccessfully tried to get into for the last three years, LOL.

I talked to the receptionist (drop in hours were done) at my department and she said she's pretty sure I won't be allowed to take these prereqs as a continuing student because they're so competitive. Further, kin is not offered as a second degree program. I have no idea what my options are. I don't suppose you could transfer programs in fourth year? I have an appointment in a week and a half but wanted to go in with as much knowledge surrounding the situation as possible.

My roommate is in fourth year and recently switched but I just want to be sure.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 03-06-2014 at 04:31 PM   #2
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

It may make sense to just graduate with your current degree, and get a second degree in Kinesiology at another university. Or you can always pursue physiotherapy if that's your goal.
Old 03-06-2014 at 05:39 PM   #3
bruni

Could I do the kin degree here (ie start completely over, not necessarily do the 30 credit second degree program) and potentially have credits transferred?
Old 03-06-2014 at 06:27 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i have heard it is possible to do a kin undergrad after a life sci undergrad but its best to confirm with advisers.
Old 03-06-2014 at 09:35 PM   #5
bruni

For sure. I emailed the kin dept as well. Out of curiosity, why would that not be possible? People get multiple degrees all the time?
Old 03-06-2014 at 09:58 PM   #6
Jimbojones

Liked: 16 Times

You can't do a second degree in Kin

admission is by selection. If you have a first non-Honours degree, you may apply to take an Honours second degree in the same subject area or a second degree in another discipline. Please note the following exceptions: B.Com. (Bachelor of Commerce), B.Com. (Honours), B.H.Sc. (Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours)), B.Sc. (Honours) in Integrated Science (ISCI), Honours B.Sc. Kinesiology, B.F.A. (Honours), and any Honours Multimedia program cannot be done as second degree programs. The requirements are set out in the General Academic Regulations section of this Calendar.

http://130.113.236.37/CALENDAR/current/pg75.html
Old 03-07-2014 at 07:00 AM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbojones View Post
You can't do a second degree in Kin

admission is by selection. If you have a first non-Honours degree, you may apply to take an Honours second degree in the same subject area or a second degree in another discipline. Please note the following exceptions: B.Com. (Bachelor of Commerce), B.Com. (Honours), B.H.Sc. (Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours)), B.Sc. (Honours) in Integrated Science (ISCI), Honours B.Sc. Kinesiology, B.F.A. (Honours), and any Honours Multimedia program cannot be done as second degree programs. The requirements are set out in the General Academic Regulations section of this Calendar.

http://130.113.236.37/CALENDAR/current/pg75.html
That refers only to people whose first degree is not honours (i.e. is 3 years) and they want to get a second honours degree. I think it only involves an extra year or so of work, which is why it's not possible in the listed programs. If they want to start from scratch in first year, the rules might be different.
Old 03-07-2014 at 07:02 AM   #8
bruni

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
That refers only to people whose first degree is not honours (i.e. is 3 years) and they want to get a second honours degree. I think it only involves an extra year or so of work, which is why it's not possible in the listed programs. If they want to start from scratch in first year, the rules might be different.
That's what I was saying, I already know I can't do it as a second degree program, I was thinking of starting from scratch. I just wanted to know if that at least was possible.