MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching Programs Help Fernbrook First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 12-16-2010 05:24 PM
Switching programs help bds77 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 11-28-2010 04:04 PM
switching programs. asimon9 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-30-2010 03:47 PM
Switching Programs OceanSpray First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-21-2009 08:41 PM
switching programs jeff_arato Academics 11 10-11-2008 11:24 PM

Switching programs, HELP

Old 08-15-2011 at 10:40 AM   #1
bluu

Liked: 0 Times

Switching programs, HELP
I wasn't fortunate enough to get accepted into Life Sci I due to my late application but I got into Enviro Sci I. I took all courses a regular Life Sci student would take in hopes of getting into Honours Biochem for level II.

Since i'm in Enviro Sci I, do I HAVE to take the two mandatory Enviro Sci courses that would get me into Enviro Sci II? Or can I ditch them since i'm not going into Enviro Sci II?

It would ease my life if those 2 Enviro Sci courses could be ignored if you're switching programs after level I.

I have no choice of electives because of this -_-

So, the question: Do I HAVE to take the two mandatory Enviro Sci courses even though i'm switching out at level II?
Old 08-15-2011 at 11:22 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluu View Post
I wasn't fortunate enough to get accepted into Life Sci I due to my late application but I got into Enviro Sci I. I took all courses a regular Life Sci student would take in hopes of getting into Honours Biochem for level II.

Since i'm in Enviro Sci I, do I HAVE to take the two mandatory Enviro Sci courses that would get me into Enviro Sci II? Or can I ditch them since i'm not going into Enviro Sci II?

It would ease my life if those 2 Enviro Sci courses could be ignored if you're switching programs after level I.

I have no choice of electives because of this -_-

So, the question: Do I HAVE to take the two mandatory Enviro Sci courses even though i'm switching out at level II?
You have to take these courses to successfully complete Level I:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1489.html

You don't have to take the requirements to get into Enviro Sci II, but you have to complete level I in order to get into a Level II program.
Old 08-15-2011 at 11:24 AM   #3
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

Are you positive that you will be getting into Life Science II?
I would highly suggest you take those two mandatory Enviro Sci courses, even if you plan on switching into Life Science in your second year. There is always the chance that you will not get in to Life Science II, and would have essentially shot yourself in the leg by not taking those two Enviro Sci courses.

Bite the bullet and take the two Enviro Sci courses, even if they take up your elective space.
Old 08-15-2011 at 11:30 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manley View Post
Are you positive that you will be getting into Life Science II?
I would highly suggest you take those two mandatory Enviro Sci courses, even if you plan on switching into Life Science in your second year. There is always the chance that you will not get in to Life Science II, and would have essentially shot yourself in the leg by not taking those two Enviro Sci courses.

Bite the bullet and take the two Enviro Sci courses, even if they take up your elective space.
You don't switch into Life Science II from Enviro Sci I.

If you read the admission to Life Science II, it states that you need to complete ANY Level I program.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1957.html

The same thing goes for Biochem admission, completion of ANY Level I program.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1513.html
Old 08-15-2011 at 11:38 AM   #5
Manley

Liked: 14 Times

Yes, it is completion of any level I program that allows you entry into most programs. I never said it wasn't.

If Bluu didn't get into desired program in level II, at least they would have the requisites for Enviro Sci II. But if Bluu is switching into any other program regardless in level II, I suppose it is a moot point.