MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
emails not being sent to mac email kotton Academics 4 11-11-2012 01:31 PM
dont know what to do nan100 Academics 50 05-10-2012 09:31 AM
What happens if you DONT.... shes-a-diva* Academics 1 11-28-2010 01:00 PM
Mayor Responds to Student Concerns about Stadium finklej MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-04-2010 04:32 PM
Emails not working? Flag First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 10:32 PM

TA who dont respond to emailS

Old 03-28-2013 at 03:30 PM   #1
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

TA who dont respond to emailS
2 months ago i email the head ta in my class asking to set up an appointment with him for to look over my assignment.

1st email

head ta Defers mee to another TA.

2nd email

I email this TA and as him if i can setup an appointment with him to look over my assignment. He emails me back a marking sheet and asks me if I still want to see him. The marking sheet does not really answer any of my question so i email him for another appointment.

3rd email

I would like to book an appointment. Answer: okay im free XYZ day at this time.

4th email

okay, im free too where? No response. And the time appointment time passes

5th email

Hi, just want to follow up with the last email and re book another appointment. No Resposne

6th email

Follow up again. EMails back: im free xyz time.

7th email

Okay, im free that time, where can i meet you? NO response. AND the appointment time passes again

8th email

Last week, FOLLOW UP AGAIN outlining i've been neglected for the past 2 months, this time CC'd to the head TA....NO RESPONSE!

Why are these dirt bags getting get paid, with my money.

What can should i do? I'm thinking of escalating this issue to the ombuds. Any other options?

btw no office hours avaliable in this class unless you EMAIL AND BOOK AN APPOINTMENT

Last edited by biglandfarm : 03-28-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2013 at 03:34 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

have u talked to the prof..?

biglandfarm says thanks to Silver for this post.

biglandfarm likes this.
Old 03-28-2013 at 04:15 PM   #3
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I suggest you speak with the professor. The TA contract, which is available for viewing, states that TAs are responsible for spending 30 minutes a week responding to student emails.

biglandfarm says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.

biglandfarm likes this.
Old 03-28-2013 at 04:21 PM   #4
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Course evals should be up...write out your TAs' full names.

biglandfarm says thanks to Zebedee for this post.

biglandfarm likes this.
Old 03-28-2013 at 05:47 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Usually the TA's office is posted on the course website, or the general area where they're supposed to be for their 'office hours'. Really sucks having it drawn out man.. over the entire course of this exchange, did you think of asking the professor (or head TA) for assistance on this issue (such as the location of TA's office).

Keep in mind, for some courses (1st and 2nd year especially), there are an overwhelming amount of students in the class, and during midterm/assignment/project deadlines, a TA can receive over 50 emails a day. Not only are there this many, but they're responsible for decoding broken english, rambling, and all sorts of unseemly communication attempts.. a good TA will get through all this and still have time for their graduate work (and whatnot) but not all are that gifted with time.

Also, yeah it's a good idea to know the names of your TAs so you can complain, so hopefully they aren't hired again, but also don't forget to mention the people doing a good job!

biglandfarm says thanks to RyanC for this post.

biglandfarm likes this.
Old 03-29-2013 at 05:20 AM   #6
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Yes, I have a really bad TA this semester for stats.
She might have 40-50 students at most for our class (trying hard not to judge too much, here), but her responses to emails are worse than TA's with 300+ students.
I ask her questions like, "Would you like the next report submitted online, in person, or both?"
And she responds with one word: "Yes"

Afzal, Snowman like this.
Old 03-30-2013 at 02:29 PM   #7
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Yes, I have a really bad TA this semester for stats.
She might have 40-50 students at most for our class (trying hard not to judge too much, here), but her responses to emails are worse than TA's with 300+ students.
I ask her questions like, "Would you like the next report submitted online, in person, or both?"
And she responds with one word: "Yes"

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Old 03-30-2013 at 05:33 PM   #8
Jimbojones

Liked: 16 Times

i had a TA that did the same thing. Include it in your course evaluations and perhaps contact the graduate chair.
Old 04-03-2013 at 09:23 AM   #9
AdrianaC

Liked: 0 Times

Definitely contact your professor