Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Meet Mayor Fred @ Mac roxy007 MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-12-2010 06:54 PM
Vote Mayor Fred @ MAC ! roxy007 General Discussion 4 09-01-2010 11:21 PM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM
Meet the Mayor Event Goce General Discussion 3 05-06-2009 08:30 PM

Mayor Responds to Student Concerns about Stadium

Today, on behalf of the McMaster Students Union, I send a letter to the Mayor of Hamilton, Fred Eisenberger, regarding the MSU’s support for the proposed West Harbour stadium site. In this letter I outlined the concerns of McMaster student around urban sprawl, public transit and the distance students are willing to travel to events. Included and attached were the results of the MSU’s survey, which yielded 85% favourability for the West Harbour site.

Merely four hours later I received a response from the mayor thanking the MSU for its initiative and for voicing an opinion regarding the issue stating, “it is particularly gratifying to receive results coming as it does from students, as you represent the future...”. Mr. Eisenberger went on to say that the concerns of students and the results of the survey will be shared with council and is sure that this is help influence the debate.

Additionally, when this letter was originally sent, I copied Ward One Councillor Brian McHattie. His office has since emailed me back asking for permission to publish the letter on this website [the MSU website] and incorporate it in a section regarding the stadium proposals. The answer from the MSU was an emphatic yes.

I
believe that this shows the MSU and McMaster students rising stock among the local community. We are being seen as major stakeholders in the city and our opinion is beginning to hold a fair amount of weight with those in power. I hope that we can parlay this success into further achievements, particularly with the municipal elections being held in October.

Any questions, comments or concerns, please contact me.

Joe Finkle
Vice President (Education) & CO
McMaster Students Union
Phone: 905.525.9140 ext. 24017
Cell: 905.570.3398
Fax: 905.529.3208

KRan says thanks to finklej for this post.
Published by
Vice President Education

Article Tools

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Letter to Eisenberger.pdf (152.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Mayors Response.pdf (67.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf Survey Results.pdf (76.8 KB, 19 views)
Deleted Post
Old 08-04-2010 at 04:28 PM   #2
dsahota
Program: Engineering Physics
Year: Other

Liked: 83 Times
Sounds good, if you're around Hamilton this weekend, there is a rally in Hess Village on Saturday in support of the West Harbour Location for the stadium. It'd be awesome if a group of McMaster students showed up to again demonstrate support for the West Harbour.

Rally info:
Date: August 07, 2010
Time: 3:30 pm
Join us as we fight to bring the proposed Pan-Am Stadium to the West Harbour of DOWNTOWN Hamilton.

Rally begins at 3:30 on Tiger Cats Gameday, Saturday August 7th.

Special Guest Speakers including:
Mayor Fred Eisenberger
Councillor Bob Bratina

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php...9783443&ref=ts
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-04-2010 at 04:32 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
The rally sounds good. Sadly it happens to be after the summer session ends so I'm sure a lot of students will be back home... but then again it's RIGHT after the summer session ends so perhaps students will be willing to stay an extra day or two to rally on Saturday.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search