MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence-Wide Formal 2009 ~*Sara*~ MacInsiders Announcements 49 11-08-2009 10:01 AM
Residence Move-In Dates and Times 2009 niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 42 08-23-2009 03:25 PM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM
Applications Now Open for Residence Life Staff 2009-2010 rosenas MacInsiders Announcements 16 12-19-2008 06:15 PM

Residence Concerns (2009)

Old 06-29-2009 at 11:58 AM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Residence Concerns (2009)
Have a question/concern about living in residence? Post them here and an upper-year student can answer them for you!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2009 at 12:03 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Use these threads to talk to your new res-mates, and check out our article archive to read articles about living in res!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2009 at 12:06 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Has anyone lived in a BUnk and Loft room before? If so how was it? Also, each person is assigned a letter A, B, C - does each letter indicate which bed you get? and if so, which one is which .. thanks!
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:18 PM   #4
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

I lived in a Bunk and Loft room in Moulton in first year. I didn't really enjoy it, but I know some people that did have good experiences with them. I think if you've got good roommates then it makes being crammed in a room with 2 other people a lot easier to bear. The letters do correspond to a certain bed, as well as a certain telephone/internet outlet. I don't remember which letter goes with which bed though.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Kevin S. for this post.
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:24 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Thanks Kevin! I'm definitely not looking forward to being crammed in a room with 2 other people either. Fortunately it's only 8 months, hopefully I'll survive :(. There's always the possibility of good roommates and the changes in the residence lottery ..
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:26 PM   #6
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Yeah I had a bunk & loft last year in Moulton. It ended up being pretty awesome (at least for me).
As Kevin said, they do correspond to something but they're different in different rooms, my room was A = top bunk, B = bottom bunk & C = Loft.
Moulton has HUGE storage space (compared to other residences I've seem) The closet is basically like a walk-in closet, and you have a bunch of drawers & such. It's not at all bad, plus you get 2 best friends right from the starts as opposed to only one, or having to walk around and find friends. And the bunk & lofts aren't that small... it was definitly livable.
A lot of people I knew always had a "missing roommate" where a roommate would be gone for 3/4ths of the time.. they'd come home only to sleep/shower etc... =]

heavenlyspot, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Cristina_n13 for this post.
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:28 PM   #7
doll

Liked: 0 Times

I got the same apartment(room) again this year but only with different room mates...........

Can nay thing be done about it?
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:37 PM   #8
shhhane

Liked: 1 Time

I'm a pretty paranoid person, and that's why I chose single rooms. I was assigned a double room though so now I have several concerns:
1) Is there a policy on theft? Like what if your roommate steals things from you?
2) If you and your roommate don't get along and it gets to the point where there's verbal abuse or even further than that, will you be relocated?
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:42 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If you have any issues with your roommate, you bring them up with your CA's. They are trained to deal with any issues you may have (fighting, for example). If after mediation and nothing happens then you go back to your CA's and they will decide what the best course of action will be.

People do occasionally get switched into other rooms, but only if the situation is a dire one, and that very rarely happens.

Old 06-29-2009 at 12:42 PM   #10
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhane View Post
I'm a pretty paranoid person, and that's why I chose single rooms. I was assigned a double room though so now I have several concerns:
1) Is there a policy on theft? Like what if your roommate steals things from you?
2) If you and your roommate don't get along and it gets to the point where there's verbal abuse or even further than that, will you be relocated?

1) I was worried in my first year too about my roommate touching my stuff so I went to staples and bought a small filing cabinet with a lock for $40. But I dont think your roommate will steal - I never heard of this occuring (and because it is a double room, if something goes missing, you will know it was him).

2) It would have to be very serious
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:44 PM   #11
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhane View Post
I read an article here by Lorend (I think) that suggested getting a lockable filing cabinet for keeping valuables -- I thought that was pretty smart! You could even keep your laptop in there.
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:45 PM   #12
Cristina_n13

shhhane,
you have roommate agreements at the beginning of the year where you decide on room policies (such as no taking without borrowing) if you're really concerned, you could buy something that locks & keep your valuables there. They also have these laptop lock things that you like put into your computer, and you have a key/password/number code & it is physically tied down to like a metallic bar or something (look under your desk). The thing is, think of it this way, you share a room... they're probably worried about the same thing as you.. they're probably like "this kid is going to steal my things what should I do"
if you & your roommate didn't get along no one is forcing you to talk... a big tip is to work things out before they get bad. As soon as something bothers you tell them. You have community advisers & residence life staff that are there to help you through conflicts. I've heard of very drastic circumstances where people have been moved out of there room, but it's not very common.. at all..
I've had friends who didn't get along with their roommates and just didn't talk to them the whole year... but I mean it's 8 months, and it is what you make of it. If you go in it with preconceived notions, it's not going to help your case.

shhhane says thanks to Cristina_n13 for this post.
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:47 PM   #13
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

Okay, so I got a triple room (Bunk & Loft) in Whidden.
I'm not happy about this:
a) I will not be able to focus, nor will I be happy (I don't think). I NEED my own space - this isn't cool at all.
b) Whidden is the party residence, if I remember correctly. Does not bode well with me.

Guess I'm a little upset. This isn't what I was expecting.
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:47 PM   #14
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Do they often put students together who are in the same programmes?
Old 06-29-2009 at 12:49 PM   #15
Cristina_n13

Mal, you can always go to a library to get work done & focus and such. You will get your own space, just it'll be small and you'll have 2 other people around... it's not always a bad thing =]