MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence-Wide Formal 2009 ~*Sara*~ MacInsiders Announcements 49 11-08-2009 10:01 AM
Residence Move-In Dates and Times 2009 niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 42 08-23-2009 03:25 PM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM
Applications Now Open for Residence Life Staff 2009-2010 rosenas MacInsiders Announcements 16 12-19-2008 06:15 PM

Residence Concerns (2009)

Old 06-29-2009 at 03:17 PM   #46
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina_n13 View Post
It gets pretty hot during Welcome Week. I'd suggest the following, during the day keep your window closed & your blinds down so sun doesn't get in (it sounds so depressing) you can also bring a fan. At night (if it's cooler outside) you can open the windows/blinds to get cool air in the room. This completely kept the room cool for me last year. Also, after Welcome Week my roommate had a mini air-conditioner/fan thing that was awesome but it was never as hot, so we didn't use it too much.

During the winter I found it got stuffy, and if you opened a window it would become too cold... so while no one was in the room, we left the window very slightly open, and when we came back we closed it =] it worked for us.
They'll also tell you it's against the rules to prop your door open. If you just have a fan in the room running, it keeps the air circulating.
Old 06-29-2009 at 03:20 PM   #47
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Really? Why can't the door be open - that's odd
Old 06-29-2009 at 03:21 PM   #48
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
I think it's against fire codes.
Old 06-29-2009 at 03:22 PM   #49
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
It's because if there is a fire in your room, it can't spread as quickly if your door is closed than it could if your door was open.
Old 06-29-2009 at 03:24 PM   #50
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

You know, if you read all of the posts regarding residence, and room mates, it seems as though the majority of "first timers" are terrified, concerned, worried, or anxious about living with a room mate or room mates...so that probably means that there is a very good chance that a person's room mate is in exactly the same boat that they are!

Old 06-29-2009 at 03:25 PM   #51
daisy

Quote:
It's because if there is a fire in your room, it can't spread as quickly if your door is closed than it could if your door was open.
Which building had a fire in it last year? Is it all cleaned up?
Old 06-29-2009 at 03:27 PM   #52
Cristina_n13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
Which building had a fire in it last year? Is it all cleaned up?
Brandon, yeah everyone got to move back in 2nd semester. They even had an elevator attendant
Old 06-29-2009 at 03:29 PM   #53
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Brandon, yeah everyone got to move back in 2nd semester. They even had an elevator attendant
Technically there was a "fire" in Edwards, someone cooked bagel bites in the microwave for the amount of time recommended in the oven... No hard done though.
Old 06-29-2009 at 03:32 PM   #54
Cristina_n13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Technically there was a "fire" in Edwards, someone cooked bagel bites in the microwave for the amount of time recommended in the oven... No hard done though.
Yeah someone in Moulton overcooked a pizzapocket in the microwave & it caught fire... no harm done either =]
Old 06-29-2009 at 03:34 PM   #55
daisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Oh my, LOL! (maybe I shouldn't laugh?) Never leave a microwave oven unattended if it is in use, I guess.
Old 06-29-2009 at 03:39 PM   #56
Cristina_n13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
Oh my, LOL! (maybe I shouldn't laugh?) Never leave a microwave oven unattended if it is in use, I guess.
Or a toaster for that fact... I walked towards to common room/kitchen hearing this horrid noise, walked in and noticed the toaster was on fire and making a buzzing sound... I literally stared at it for a good 20 seconds thinking "how do i fix this?" luckily the girl who put her toast in came back and was brave enough to unplug the toaster and make the fire go away
Old 06-29-2009 at 04:04 PM   #57
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Let me quickly dispel a myth here: there is no party res.

Most of the residences think they're the party res. And since the incoming residents of each building changes every year there is no way to predict if one residence will have more people who want to party than another.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2009 at 04:21 PM   #58
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

So true daisy.. But i guess you can't help but worry after such a huge transition from HS to Uni.
N LOL at the fire comments. I'll be sure to watch for that, and never leave it unattended
Old 06-29-2009 at 04:28 PM   #59
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Let me quickly dispel a myth here: there is no party res.

Most of the residences think they're the party res. And since the incoming residents of each building changes every year there is no way to predict if one residence will have more people who want to party than another.
This is true.

I lived in Whidden last year and didn't think it was a party res at all. It was always quiet during the week, and I went home most weekends so I don't know.

In first year I lived in Hedden and it was loud on my floor a lot.

It all depends on the people.

It doesn't matter much though, most CAs are great and will make sure noise doesn't get too out of hand, especially during the week and stuff when people have a lot of work and studying etc.
Old 06-29-2009 at 04:33 PM   #60
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Yup, it definitely depends on the people living there. The most important thing though is that you try and get to know as many people as you can in your rez. Being socially active within your residence will make your residence experience an amazing one!