MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence-Wide Formal 2009 ~*Sara*~ MacInsiders Announcements 49 11-08-2009 10:01 AM
Residence Move-In Dates and Times 2009 niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 42 08-23-2009 03:25 PM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM
Applications Now Open for Residence Life Staff 2009-2010 rosenas MacInsiders Announcements 16 12-19-2008 06:15 PM

Residence Concerns (2009)

Old 06-29-2009 at 11:05 PM   #91
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
You're right.

Of the traditional style though it's 2nd newest. Most first years will be in that type of residence, not the suites.
Yeah, that's definitely true. Most of the suites get taken by upper years.
Old 06-29-2009 at 11:56 PM   #92
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhane View Post
I'm a pretty paranoid person, and that's why I chose single rooms. I was assigned a double room though so now I have several concerns:
1) Is there a policy on theft? Like what if your roommate steals things from you?
2) If you and your roommate don't get along and it gets to the point where there's verbal abuse or even further than that, will you be relocated?
Yea I think it's a widely known misconception that if you live with a stranger they actually steal your stuff!

I lived in a double in Mckay and had no problem leaving my stuff in the room. When I go home for the weekend, my roommate would stay with all my stuff in the room but it would be untouched when I get back. I guess it's a human unwritten code of honour to not steal stuff from someone, or just the very fact that we are all, in fact, students after all. Whatever the reason, internal thief is rarely an issue in residence.

That is just me. I had an awesome roommate. We are still best buds even after the rez experience. I think it just depends on ur roommate. Perhaps conduct an interview with him or something lol.
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:01 AM   #93
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Yeah, I never had to worry about any of that nor did any of my friends. Heck, I left large amounts of money and valuables in the room at times while I was gone. As long as you trust your roommate, they'll trust you too. There's really no reason for your roommate to steal from you and plus, you will both be living together for the entire year so this would only complicate things. If you're still worried though, perhaps carry your valuables with you or bring some kind of storage container that you can lock.
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:02 AM   #94
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbojumbo View Post
Yea I think it's a widely known misconception that if you live with a stranger they actually steal your stuff!

I lived in a double in Mckay and had no problem leaving my stuff in the room. When I go home for the weekend, my roommate would stay with all my stuff in the room but it would be untouched when I get back. I guess it's a human unwritten code of honour to not steal stuff from someone, or just the very fact that we are all, in fact, students after all. Whatever the reason, internal thief is rarely an issue in residence.

That is just me. I had an awesome roommate. We are still best buds even after the rez experience. I think it just depends on ur roommate. Perhaps conduct an interview with him or something lol.
Probably true. Why would you steal something some someone you see for 8 months? Most thefts happen because of tailgating and leaving your door unlocked when you aren't there. Even if you are going to the bathroom, if no one is in your room you should lock it.
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:03 AM   #95
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
large amounts of money and valuables in the room at times while I was gone
Are you sure you are a university student? XD
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:03 AM   #96
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Probably true. Why would you steal something some someone you see for 8 months? Most thefts happen because of tailgating and leaving your door unlocked when you aren't there. Even if you are going to the bathroom, if no one is in your room you should lock it.
Very true. A lot of people leave their rooms unlocked when they go to take a shower and are surprised to find that when they get back their Macbook Pro is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Are you sure you are a university student? XD
ROFL
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:29 AM   #97
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Ahaha, I actually had money at one point. I wasted three grand last year on silly stuff. But yeah, I had a large stash of money in my room lol
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:30 AM   #98
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
Ahaha, I actually had money at one point. I wasted three grand last year on silly stuff. But yeah, I had a large stash of money in my room lol
Totally a drug dealer!
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:35 AM   #99
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Totally a drug dealer!
Lol, that's my first thought too XD
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:43 AM   #100
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

ahahahaha, I'd actually be the last person to ever do that. I just happened to work two jobs during the last summer and then my uncle and dad ended up giving money too. So I ended up with a stash of cash in my room haha. Nice try though!
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:45 AM   #101
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanagaap View Post
hi...wanted to live in a suite style residence but i got put in a duble room in Hedden Hall.. does anyone know anythin about Hedden Hall? is it a nice place to live in?
hey! i lived in hedden hall last year.. 3rd floor north!!
I personally liked it. My room was pretty big compared to others i've seen (my bf was ina triple and i'm pretty sure my room was bigger than his).
the bathrooms, though shared, are private. so you have a toilet sink and shower inside a bathroom, and u can lock it. I liked that. There's a decent amount of bathrooms spaced throughout the floor as well.
There's AC thats a plus! It's not that old..
We have a ravine room in the basement which is nice for studying.. we have like 3 study rooms.

The only con i'd say is that it's a little far from classes but on the flip side good exercise right?

oh, and i had a really nice view too!

kanagaap says thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Old 06-30-2009 at 06:20 PM   #102
camais

Liked: 30 Times

in my payment agreement place, it shows that residence for me costs $4733.92 when im assigned to a bunk and loft room. this seems much higher than the proposed $3985
is it just that they still havent finalized prices yet or should i be concerned
Old 06-30-2009 at 06:31 PM   #103
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by camais View Post
in my payment agreement place, it shows that residence for me costs $4733.92 when im assigned to a bunk and loft room. this seems much higher than the proposed $3985
is it just that they still havent finalized prices yet or should i be concerned
does that include your meal plan?
Old 06-30-2009 at 06:36 PM   #104
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
does that include your meal plan?
Can't be... the meal plan is 2500 for the lightest meal... Unless your in Bates or Keys, but I don't think they have bunks and lofts. Plus it's still like 2000 for the reduced light meal plan.

I would definitively contact student accounts and cashiers.
Old 06-30-2009 at 06:49 PM   #105
camais

Liked: 30 Times

no doesnt include mealplan