MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence-Wide Formal 2009 ~*Sara*~ MacInsiders Announcements 49 11-08-2009 10:01 AM
Residence Move-In Dates and Times 2009 niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 42 08-23-2009 03:25 PM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM
Applications Now Open for Residence Life Staff 2009-2010 rosenas MacInsiders Announcements 16 12-19-2008 06:15 PM

Residence Concerns (2009)

Old 06-29-2009 at 08:32 PM   #76
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

If you're in a room with a private bathroom, you do it yourself. I think its the same for suites and apartments.

If you're in a traditional residence, they're cleaned daily by University staff.

daisy says thanks to PilotMal for this post.
Old 06-29-2009 at 08:32 PM   #77
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliver View Post
just wondering:
if you have your own washroom, do you have to buy toilet paper yourself or do they supply you with it?
I believe you have to bring everything for the bathroom yourself.
Old 06-29-2009 at 08:41 PM   #78
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I believe you have to bring everything for the bathroom yourself.
Jeremy is right.
Old 06-29-2009 at 08:58 PM   #79
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMal View Post
If you're in a room with a private bathroom, you do it yourself. I think its the same for suites and apartments.

If you're in a traditional residence, they're cleaned daily by University staff.
They're not cleaned on Sundays unless there is an event (like fall preview) that day.

Tasty.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2009 at 08:59 PM   #80
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
They're not cleaned on Sundays unless there is an event (like fall preview) that day.

Tasty.
I don't think it's entirely cleaned on Saturdays either. I think they take out the garbage and maybe clean the floor.
Old 06-29-2009 at 09:03 PM   #81
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

I think recycling was done every Tuesday. So make sure you throw everything into the recycling bin in the Common Room or you won't find it on Tuesday.
Old 06-29-2009 at 09:31 PM   #82
Alvin

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:

Tasty.
This isn't necessarily true. Common bathrooms were cleaned seven days a week last year in my residence (Brandon).
McMaster University
Old 06-29-2009 at 09:33 PM   #83
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:

Tasty.
That's not true. In Whidden this past year they were cleaned each day no matter what.
Old 06-29-2009 at 09:40 PM   #84
merissa

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeller View Post
I didn't live in Matthews but I lived in Wallingford which also didn't have any AC. It didn't get too bad because the nights get pretty cool in september. Just make sure you bring a fan with you and keep the windows open and you'll be just fine!
it depends what floor you're on. i lived in matthews, 4th floor. it was VERY hot, but only for the first month or so.. just keep all your windows open, bring a fan, and make friends with people on lower floors
Old 06-29-2009 at 09:42 PM   #85
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
That's not true. In Whidden this past year they were cleaned each day no matter what.
Hmmm.

That must have been a new thing this year...that or the people who cleaned my floor did a shit-tastic job on the weekends...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2009 at 09:47 PM   #86
kanagaap

Liked: 0 Times

hi...wanted to live in a suite style residence but i got put in a duble room in Hedden Hall.. does anyone know anythin about Hedden Hall? is it a nice place to live in?
Old 06-29-2009 at 10:09 PM   #87
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Hedden has A/C, which is a blessing during WW.

Two common rooms on each floor, built in 1991, one side of the building overlooks Cootes Paradise, so you can see wildlife.

Last edited by lorend : 06-29-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: wrong date!

kanagaap says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 06-29-2009 at 11:01 PM   #88
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanagaap View Post
hi...wanted to live in a suite style residence but i got put in a duble room in Hedden Hall.. does anyone know anythin about Hedden Hall? is it a nice place to live in?
HEDDEN POWER!

Hedden is the 2nd newest residence (built in 1991) so it's got A/C and stuff that the older residences don't have. The A/C is as mentioned a blessing during times like Welcome Week when it's still very hot out.

Also unlike most of the traditional style residences on campus Hedden has private bathrooms. So while in most other residences you'd have to share public style washrooms with stalls and shower stalls in Hedden there are many individual, locked washrooms throughout each floor. I liked this a lot better than when I lived in Whidden 2nd year and the washrooms were public style. I got used to that after a while but it was nice to have a washroom I could go in by myself and shower and whatnot and not have to walk through the halls in a towel or bathrobe or whatever. It's a nice bit of extra privacy.

Also the rooms are pretty decent sized. I saw a double in Woodstock for example that was so tiny and claustrophobic looking and I was scared all doubles would be like that but the ones in Hedden weren't. The triples seemed a tad crammed but not unbearable.

Hedden is also relatively close to places on campus, not too far out like a place like Keyes or Les Prince would be.

If you live on the one side you'll have a view of the new stadium out your window. If you live on the other you'll have a nice view of the forest and stuff.

The common rooms are spacious and the kitchens are nice. Two TVs per floor, one in each common room, I never had much trouble if there was a program I wanted to watch. One tip though, bring a universal remote. The remotes tend to lose their batteries, get broken or go missing and then you can't watch the TV without getting up to change the channel or volume and somtimes not at all b/c the power button is broken, lol.

Hedden is a great residence.

kanagaap says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 06-29-2009 at 11:02 PM   #89
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Small fix:

Hedden is actually the 3rd newest residence after Keyes (2004) and Les Prince (2006..I think?)
Old 06-29-2009 at 11:04 PM   #90
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Small fix:

Hedden is actually the 3rd newest residence after Keyes (2004) and Les Prince (2006..I think?)
You're right.

Of the traditional style though it's 2nd newest. Most first years will be in that type of residence, not the suites.