MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a new tablet amigojoe General Discussion 1 07-14-2011 03:40 PM
The Kno Tablet Chad MacInsiders Announcements 16 11-12-2010 09:36 PM
Which tablet... Zuchowski First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-19-2010 11:06 AM
“My Macbook’s Keys are Shiny!” – A Notebook Survival Guide Chad Technology 68 07-27-2009 11:06 AM

Tablet - useful? Or just shiny?

Old 07-07-2012 at 10:47 PM   #1
dmok

Liked: 1 Time

Tablet - useful? Or just shiny?
I've been toying with the idea of getting SOME form of tablet, but I see plenty on Kijiji where the seller says "Bought it, used it a few times, got bored and it hasn't been touched in a year". Presuming they're being honest, I can't afford to buy a toy which might sit in a box after the first 6 months, no matter how little I paid for it (seems like a decently appointed model with light wear is going for about $200 these days, except HP units lol).

Anyone actually buy a tablet for school? Did it get used? What kinds of work was it best for? I'd be interested in remote file access from a home server, some basic group work functionality, email, and maybe some Google Docs editing. Bonus marks if it's compatible with some kind of 3D CAD model viewer (in Poli Sci, but moonlight as a CAD/CAM programmer), and has an HDMI output.

Given my perpetually empty wallet, I'd end up with an Android based unit, probably used and at least a year out of date, but I'm more interested in whether the tablet concept has any real use in an academic setting, or if I should keep lugging my laptop around?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012 at 11:13 PM   #2
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

My girlfriend uses her tablet all the time and rarely uses her laptop anymore. That being said I would never buy a tablet because everything I can do on a tablet can be done on my laptop or even my 2 year old android phone (which has hdmi output). If you don't have a smart phone I'd buy a smartphone before a tablet.

dmok says thanks to julianface for this post.
Old 07-07-2012 at 11:19 PM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

just shiny for the first couple of months

i agree with Julian, my phone could do everything a tablet can do. Email, chat, video chat, simply text editing, dropbox, google drive, games, camera, fb ...
Old 07-07-2012 at 11:23 PM   #4
julianface
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post

i agree with Julian, my phone could do everything a tablet can do. Email, chat, video chat, simply text editing, dropbox, google drive, games, camera, fb ...
ya I think of a tablet as a phone that can't call or text message and can't fit in my pocket.
Old 07-07-2012 at 11:40 PM   #5
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Yes, a tablet is useful. I use it for surfing the net, reading ebooks etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23

It's not possible to comfortably surf the net or read ebooks on a tiny phone.

dmok says thanks to Alexmahone for this post.

rsakura likes this.
Old 07-07-2012 at 11:47 PM   #6
julianface
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
Yes, a tablet is useful. I use it for surfing the net, reading ebooks etc.

It's not possible to comfortably surf the net or read ebooks on a tiny phone.
It is possible on a big phone though

Andrew A, jon.john23, Osama like this.
Old 07-07-2012 at 11:53 PM   #7
jon.john23
Elite Member

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find

Galaxy note. The bridge b/w the phone and the tablet

But how much of useful work can u do an a tablet? Idk 300 to 500 bucks for a fancy internet browser and ebook reader? Ur laptop is more than enough.

dmok says thanks to jon.john23 for this post.

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 07-07-2012 at 11:56 PM   #8
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

I've got the new iPad and it is godly for reading. If you can download course textbooks onto your tablet that should a justify the price alone.

Alexmahone likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:09 AM   #9
julianface
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
I've got the new iPad and it is godly for reading. If you can download course textbooks onto your tablet that should a justify the price alone.
But the thing is you can do that on both your laptop and your phone
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:15 AM   #10
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
But how much of useful work can u do an a tablet? Idk 300 to 500 bucks for a fancy internet browser and ebook reader? Ur laptop is more than enough.
If you have a tablet, which is far more portable than a laptop, you will find yourself using it in many scenarios where you would not use a laptop: travelling in a vehicle, reclining on the couch and other times when you're just too lazy to start up your laptop.

Apps I use all the time on my iPad: Kindle and iBooks (for reading ebooks), Safari, Youtube, Chess, Adobe Reader (for viewing pdfs). You can also read some magazines (like Time). That said, it is not practical to type out Word documents or Excel spreadsheets on a tablet.

Last edited by Alexmahone : 07-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.

LTHL likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:23 AM   #11
julianface
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
If you have a tablet, which is far more portable than a laptop, you will find yourself using it in many scenarios where you would not use a laptop: travelling in a vehicle, reclining on the couch and other occasions when you're too lazy to start up your laptop.

Apps I use all the time on my iPad: Kindle and iBooks (for reading ebooks), Safari, Youtube, Chess, Adobe Reader (for viewing pdfs). You can also read some magazines (like Time). That said, it is not practical to type out Word documents or Excel spreadsheets on a tablet.
Ya I agree with all that it's just that the OP has said the cost was a concern and so some of us are trying to say it is a luxury item more so than a laptop or cell phone since the tablet can be replaced with both of those although those two cannot be replaced by a tablet.
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:24 AM   #12
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
But the thing is you can do that on both your laptop and your phone
the reading experience on a tablet is just that much better in my opinion, very convenient and manoeuvres as a book would

using a laptop or phone to get through a good amount of reading material can get pretty uncomfortable

dmok says thanks to guerilla for this post.

Alexmahone, rsakura like this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:30 AM   #13
julianface
Elite Member

I think a conclusion can be made. A table definitely has its uses, and one can definitely live without a tablet. It's up to you if it's worth the cost depending on how you would be using it.
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:42 AM   #14
jon.john23
Elite Member

@ Alexmahone

k, if u looking for weight and portability, add the 500 bux for the iPad to the price of a laptop and buy and buy an ultrabook. Super fast, light, portable and no compromise on performance
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:52 AM   #15
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
@ Alexmahone

k, if u looking for weight and portability, add the 500 bux for the iPad to the price of a laptop and buy and buy an ultrabook. Super fast, light, portable and no compromise on performance
I just Wiki-ed ultrabook and the various models seem to be quite heavier than the iPad, which weighs only 662 g. For a skinny guy like me, that makes a difference.