MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a new tablet amigojoe General Discussion 1 07-14-2011 03:40 PM
The Kno Tablet Chad MacInsiders Announcements 16 11-12-2010 09:36 PM
Which tablet... Zuchowski First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-19-2010 11:06 AM
“My Macbook’s Keys are Shiny!” – A Notebook Survival Guide Chad Technology 68 07-27-2009 11:06 AM

Tablet - useful? Or just shiny?

Old 07-08-2012 at 12:58 AM   #16
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

I do agree with what u said about using the tablet when u dont feel like turning on ur PC. Esply when u just wanna google something really simple.
Old 07-08-2012 at 01:34 AM   #17
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

You guys keep saying to get a smartphone before a tablet, when a lot of the good smartphones I looked at end up costing nearly double (or more anyways) especially when compared to the new nexus which is just over $200.

To the OP, it depends on what kind of quality you are looking for, since the lower end tablets may work ok but expect some lag. The screen may be a huge benefit especially when reading PDF's of textbooks/book as well as looking at avenue to learn when looking at course material

dmok says thanks to Snowman for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 09:29 AM   #18
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I was actually thinking of this last night as well.

I was thinking of getting the Nexus 7 for my final year next year since its easier to carry around with me all the time..

I study by going through ppt/pdf lectures the prof posts and then maybe watching some youtube videos on the topic, and I find whenever I bring my laptop around, I get distracted and go on msn/fb/etc. I'm still gonna think about it (since the nexus 7 isnt even released yet) but I'm pretty sure it would be a good investment since you can pretty much read up on lectures and stuff anywhere..

That being said, has anyone tried reading pdfs/ppts on a 7" tablet? Kindle fire, playbook, etc?

Desda, dmok like this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 09:47 AM   #19
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I use my playbook for document editting, spreadsheets, pdf reading, and so much more. It's cheap at $199 for 16GB (you'll pay more for the Nexus 7 for that kind of space). It has the best cameras on the tablet market, and beats the Nexus 7's hardware.

I know I started a thread about this a while ago, and everyone hates my opinions and explanations but ... I'm going to state it anyways: Since I've become more critical of the state of RIM, I've started noticing who has iPhones, Androids, Blackberries, etc. It's clear the non-smart phone market is small. But with all the bad news about RIM lately, and all the talk about their poor sales numbers, I must say that I see a LOT more blackberries around than any other phone. For the most part, I'd say that it's Engineers (both graduated friends, and undergraduate peers) who keep their blackberry. But then I was at the Hip concert in Niagara last weekend, and I looked at all the phones and cameras being held up: Maybe 7 or 8 out of 10 were Blackberry still.

I don't know what to make of the fact that a good portion of a concert audience was using a Blackberry, but RIM must be doing something right if hard working engineers in industry are still using their phone. I'd say it's got to do with the utility of the device for work applications, rather than the convenience of downloading games and having a toy on you at all points in time.

Edit: These engineering Alumni with the phone are the people working 10-15 hour days, downloading spec documents, exchanging word and excel data, exchanging contacts, emails, using GPS, etc. etc. etc. and a majority of them have the Playbook, in addition to their blackberry phone.

Last edited by mike_302 : 07-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.

dmok says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:12 PM   #20
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I know I started a thread about this a while ago, and everyone hates my opinions and explanations but ... I'm going to state it anyways: Since I've become more critical of the state of RIM, I've started noticing who has iPhones, Androids, Blackberries, etc. It's clear the non-smart phone market is small. But with all the bad news about RIM lately, and all the talk about their poor sales numbers, I must say that I see a LOT more blackberries around than any other phone. For the most part, I'd say that it's Engineers (both graduated friends, and undergraduate peers) who keep their blackberry. But then I was at the Hip concert in Niagara last weekend, and I looked at all the phones and cameras being held up: Maybe 7 or 8 out of 10 were Blackberry still.

I don't know what to make of the fact that a good portion of a concert audience was using a Blackberry, but RIM must be doing something right if hard working engineers in industry are still using their phone. I'd say it's got to do with the utility of the device for work applications, rather than the convenience of downloading games and having a toy on you at all points in time.

Edit: These engineering Alumni with the phone are the people working 10-15 hour days, downloading spec documents, exchanging word and excel data, exchanging contacts, emails, using GPS, etc. etc. etc. and a majority of them have the Playbook, in addition to their blackberry phone.
I agree that there are still many people that use Blackberries for business, including in the government sector. However, I think this is because employers are providing the phones, rather than employees making that choice. Blackberries were the top smartphones only a few years ago, and companies made significant investments into the infrastructure, and there would be some costs associated with switching platforms. Not to mention that Blackberries are still known to have better security. Also, I believe many teens still use Blackberries because they have cheaper data plans.

A shift is definitely starting these days where employers are beginning to shift over to Apple and Android, because of the increased functionality with all the apps they offer. And frankly, Blackberries have lost their sex appeal, and employees just don't want them anymore. At my current workplace, they have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) program that lets employees bring to work whatever smartphone they desire, including Apple, Android, Windows, and Blackberry. I've heard many companies in the states are doing the same.

It's going to be tough for RIM to bounce back. Top executives and investors are jumping ship. Unless Blackberry 10 offers something amazing against iPhones and Androids, the company is done. I think they're kinda in the same situation as Nokia, which hasn't really been able to bounce back even after adopting the Windows Phone platform.

Desda, dmok, henry4399, Watoko like this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:41 PM   #21
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
I use my playbook for document editting, spreadsheets, pdf reading, and so much more. It's cheap at $199 for 16GB (you'll pay more for the Nexus 7 for that kind of space). It has the best cameras on the tablet market, and beats the Nexus 7's hardware.
What?

Nexus 7 has a quad core processor, 12 core GPU, running android 4.1 with project butter.

You also have access to the google play store, where u can download tons of apps, including netflix. The only benifit for the playbook is that it has 16gb for the 199$ price where as the nexus 7 is 249$ for 16gb... but just the fact its running android and has those amazing specs make it worth it if you need 16gb. Also, it can be use with my phone aswell to sync stuff across devices...

Check out some comparison videos on youtube... the playbook is sluggish compared to nexus 7.

Desda, jon.john23 like this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 03:30 PM   #22
mike_302
Elite Member

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-review/

I read that. And for the title "Best $200 tablet", they made a lot of claims about various hardware specs that don't meet the Playbook specs. 1 lower resolution camera. No HDMI Output. Only 720p output (somehow) rather than 1080p.

I understand it has quad-core instead of dual core, and a slightly higher resolution screen but... I'm going to maintain a preference for the OS2.0, my cameras for chatting, and my ability to essentially use my Playbook as a portable HD Media player to any screen. OS2.0 has also proved itself as being amazing, where as I keep reading about how tablets with the Android OS aren't quite at par.

And then ultimately, I go back to the OP's original concern: Using their tablet for school work and whatnot. Like I think we've agreed, the Playbook is a great work horse. If you want/need a billion apps, by all means go to iOS or Android for now (I feel like BB10 will bring Android apps to the Playbook, natively, but we'll see). But realistically, the billion other apps that are available on those platforms, that get everyone excited, are games and entertainment... At least in engineering, you don't need Angry Birds to complete your studies.
Old 07-08-2012 at 05:25 PM   #23
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Yes a tablet can be very useful, it all depends on the person. It can easily replace a laptop, depending on your computer use. Obviously for people that heavily use their computers it is not practical.

A tablet is a fraction of the size and weight of a laptop. It is instant on, instant off and can be used anywhere at anytime without hassle.

You can pretty much do everything on a tablet these days and it is not hard at all. If you don't mind the screen size.

dmok says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 07-08-2012 at 05:36 PM   #24
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

I have nothing of value to add to this thread because I'm posting from a netbook lol. I might as well listen to music on a minidisc walkman.

Desda, faithcry, jon.john23 like this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 05:52 PM   #25
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-review/

I read that. And for the title "Best $200 tablet", they made a lot of claims about various hardware specs that don't meet the Playbook specs. 1 lower resolution camera. No HDMI Output. Only 720p output (somehow) rather than 1080p.

I understand it has quad-core instead of dual core, and a slightly higher resolution screen but... I'm going to maintain a preference for the OS2.0, my cameras for chatting, and my ability to essentially use my Playbook as a portable HD Media player to any screen. OS2.0 has also proved itself as being amazing, where as I keep reading about how tablets with the Android OS aren't quite at par.

And then ultimately, I go back to the OP's original concern: Using their tablet for school work and whatnot. Like I think we've agreed, the Playbook is a great work horse. If you want/need a billion apps, by all means go to iOS or Android for now (I feel like BB10 will bring Android apps to the Playbook, natively, but we'll see). But realistically, the billion other apps that are available on those platforms, that get everyone excited, are games and entertainment... At least in engineering, you don't need Angry Birds to complete your studies.

I don''t think you really see it. When the playbook came out, it was what, 499$? They eventually reduced the price to 199$ because it simply wasnt selling since it ran BBOS and the specs are "ok". Honestly, BB OS is sluggish and laggy, and the processor and graphics behind the device is nothing better than a smartphone...

If you are investing in a cheaper tablet, might as well go for the best in market right now - which is the Nexus 7 because of its sheer power and of course, because of the operating system it runs. They did a teardown on the device and estimated cost is about $184... and its selling for $199... clearly you can see you are getting the best deal here since both asus and google have confirmed that this tablet is not here for profits, but simply for competition.

I personally wouldnt go with any more RIM hardware, the company has just lost its way and doesnt get what consumers want. If your gonna invest in a cheaper tablet right NOW, android is your best option.

faithcry likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 07:01 PM   #26
mike_302
Elite Member

I don't much care for the history of the Playbook. I know about it. It's not what's "here" and "now".

The BB OS2.0 has highly positive reviews just about across the board. The hardware isn't as poor as you are saying... In fact, the Amazon took all the Playbook components and made the Kindle Fire from them.

In the end (and by end, I mean now), the Playbook costs $199, and when reviewers go at a Playbook with OS2.0 vs. an Android platform tablet for work-, communication-, and management- related tasks, the Playbook always seems to come out on top. Granted, it's going to slack in app-availability until a massive overhaul prompts developers to begin supporting Blackberry OS again... Until then, we'll have to do without native Fruit Ninja support, while we sit through classes...
Old 07-08-2012 at 07:21 PM   #27
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

I have an iPad, and I use a note-taking app called Notability ( http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/notab...360593530?mt=8 ) and I absolutely love it.

For any class with fill-in-the-blank style notes, where professors post their power-point slides with missing words, it is amazing. It's also so much easier to study, with 100% of my notes in a convenient package.

I got my iPad free, so I don't know if I could justify the cost for just note-taking, but combined with the entertainment value, I suppose I could recommend it if you have the cash. If your choice is netbook vs tablet, go tablet for sure. I never touch my netbook anymore since I got the iPad.

Crzyrio likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 11:17 PM   #28
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't much care for the history of the Playbook. I know about it. It's not what's "here" and "now".

The BB OS2.0 has highly positive reviews just about across the board. The hardware isn't as poor as you are saying... In fact, the Amazon took all the Playbook components and made the Kindle Fire from them.

In the end (and by end, I mean now), the Playbook costs $199, and when reviewers go at a Playbook with OS2.0 vs. an Android platform tablet for work-, communication-, and management- related tasks, the Playbook always seems to come out on top. Granted, it's going to slack in app-availability until a massive overhaul prompts developers to begin supporting Blackberry OS again... Until then, we'll have to do without native Fruit Ninja support, while we sit through classes...
Lol, not sure where your getting this "come out on top" from. Also, what do you mean "took all the playbook components"? I hope you realize all devices are put together from a wide range of different manufacturers components Sucks you can't play Fruit Ninja in class... I dont see why the OP would limit themselves when they have the option NOT to.

Either way, to the OP: don't waste your money on a playbook. Just remember, there is a reason they brought the price down from 499$ to 199$ for the playbook. Also keep in mind when RIM "promised" to release BB 2.0 for the playbook and how many constant delays occurred until it finally reached the market... and even when it did, it wasn't anything up to par with current tablets.

For a cheap, but high quality device with impressive performance, get the Nexus 7 and you will not only get updates directly from google, but you also get access to the play store with over 600000 apps, plus movies, games, music, ebooks if you ever get bored.

Check this out: http://forums.redflagdeals.c om/nex...dit-1195529/2/
The topic has exploded on RFD with people going crazy with preordering the device since it is by far the best $200 tablet to hit the market.

Last edited by blackdragon : 07-08-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2012 at 11:30 PM   #29
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I don''t think you really see it. When the playbook came out, it was what, 499$? They eventually reduced the price to 199$ because it simply wasnt selling since it ran BBOS and the specs are "ok". Honestly, BB OS is sluggish and laggy, and the processor and graphics behind the device is nothing better than a smartphone...

If you are investing in a cheaper tablet, might as well go for the best in market right now - which is the Nexus 7 because of its sheer power and of course, because of the operating system it runs. They did a teardown on the device and estimated cost is about $184... and its selling for $199... clearly you can see you are getting the best deal here since both asus and google have confirmed that this tablet is not here for profits, but simply for competition.

I personally wouldnt go with any more RIM hardware, the company has just lost its way and doesnt get what consumers want. If your gonna invest in a cheaper tablet right NOW, android is your best option.
RIM selling the play book for 199$ is no different then Google selling the Nexus 7 for 199$, the only reason Google/Asus is selling the tablet for 200$ is to gain that market share which was lost to the Playbook and other cheaper tablets. I am an all apple and android fan but the Playbook is a very decent product. The OS is incredibly smooth, I play with it at work every other day.

The only reason I would not suggest the Playbook is simple because of the ecosystem. You have a very very limited app selection and support when compared to Google and Apple.

Only 2 worthwhile options imo: Nexus or iPad
Old 07-09-2012 at 08:52 AM   #30
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

I have an Asus Transformer tablet and it is quite handy during lectures, taking notes and such. I usually work through Google Docs so that everything gets synced to my desktop at home.

I must say however, that the Galaxy Note seems like a formidable replacement but apparently the Galaxy Note 2 is releasing this fall, so at this point, might purchase a Note 1 when it goes on sale. Galaxy Note 1 is receiving Ice Cream Sandwich, so its a plus.

Snowman likes this.