MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

To take 6 courses or not?

Old 12-27-2010 at 10:08 AM   #1
SirPhil

Liked: 19 Times

To take 6 courses or not?
Do you think that it would be wise for me to take six courses? Well I am in Life Sci and I really want to take philosophy but my elective is a full year coourse and I need my 4 compulsories.

Is it going to be impossible to manage 6 courses and is it just academic sabotage?

Btw my courses are BIO 1M03, CHEM 1AA3, PHYSICS 1B03, GERMAN 1Z06 & PSYCH 1XX3. And th esixth course would Philosophy 1E03
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:10 AM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Have fun with that.
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:20 AM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I had french instead of your German course and honestly, it was more than enough. I would advise against doing it, just from hearing from others - haven't done it myself and I wouldn't like to take the risk. You can always take philosophy in second/third or fourth year as your elective! You're allowed a maximum of 48 level 1 (first year) courses by the time you graduate, so you can definitely take it when you're in upper years.
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:24 AM   #4
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Mostly depends on how your first semester went.
Did you feel as if you had a lot of time to spare on top of your 5 courses?

Note that Physics 1B03 will take up a lot of time if you're not good at physics, and even courses like Psych 1xx3 take more effort than their first semester counterpart (there's a group paper to write in this course).
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:34 AM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Eng I.

Its doable, but a lot of work.
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:42 AM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I took 6 courses this past term and it was my best semester yet.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-27-2010 at 10:44 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Don't do it. Make it so you get good in all your 5 courses instead of spreading yourself too thin and lose a grade point in each 5...

Plus philosophy... lol...
Old 12-27-2010 at 10:46 AM   #8
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Cruise controlled 6 courses this term.

2ez

Old 12-27-2010 at 11:27 AM   #9
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Cruise controlled 6 courses this term.

2ez
same here, time management is key
Old 12-27-2010 at 11:28 AM   #10
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Second term first year courses are generally harder than their first term counterparts since it isn't as much review. You'll be spending more time studying and trying to understand the new concepts. That time will make it harder for you to excel in six courses, if you do decide to take that extra course.
That said, it is possible to do well in all six if you manage your time well. Just be prepared to have 3+ midterms and a couple big assignments all in one week.

By the way, Lawleypop is in commerce and eullwm is in engineering so I don't think their comments are too applicable. Their faculty standards and course organizations are different than the faculty of science.
Old 12-27-2010 at 11:29 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post
Second term first year courses are generally harder than their first term counterparts since it isn't as much review. You'll be spending more time studying and trying to understand the new concepts. That time will make it harder for you to excel in six courses, if you do decide to take that extra course.
That said, it is possible to do well in all six if you manage your time well. Just be prepared to have 3+ midterms and a couple big assignments all in one week.

By the way, Lawleypop is in commerce and eullwm is in engineering so I don't think their comments are too applicable. Their faculty standards and course organizations are different than the faculty of science.

Clearly never taken a marketing course.

Also, [email protected] assumption that all 6 of my courses were commerce related.

Old 12-27-2010 at 11:47 AM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I've taken 6 courses a bunch of times (my normal course load if 5). I've always done fine. I actually prefer to take 4 courses in term 1 and 6 courses in term 2.
If you're doing it for an elective/just because you want to and you're in first year - I wouldn't suggest it. You can always take that elective another year when it fits better.
Old 12-27-2010 at 12:46 PM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I've taken 6 courses a bunch of times (my normal course load if 5). I've always done fine. I actually prefer to take 4 courses in term 1 and 6 courses in term 2.
If you're doing it for an elective/just because you want to and you're in first year - I wouldn't suggest it. You can always take that elective another year when it fits better.
Wow, I'm the complete opposite. 2nd term is when I get even lazier (YES, IT'S POSSIBLE T_T)

I've got 4 this coming semester, looking forward to see what it's like.

Old 12-27-2010 at 01:04 PM   #14
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I took 6 courses this semester and I will be taking 4 second semester... I wouldn't recommend it unless you are good at managing your time... It really limits your free time, you can end up pulling all nighters to catch up on readings/assignments... And barely have time for yourself, to go out, sleep, just relax

Its definitely possible, but difficult to manage
Old 12-27-2010 at 02:17 PM   #15
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times

I had 7 courses this past term and I even worked on Saturdays. Just got to manage your time properly.