MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
solar opening again? maryam17 Academics 101 07-12-2010 08:34 PM
Solar Opening demelo_b Academics 5 06-08-2010 02:40 PM
New Eng Building Opening Ceremonies temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 11 10-24-2009 04:56 PM
Opening up seats for minors? marrgarita Academics 7 06-25-2009 09:31 AM

Taking Advantage of Another Faculty's Registration Opening Up

Old 06-18-2009 at 10:44 PM   #1
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Taking Advantage of Another Faculty's Registration Opening Up
OK I admit that was the worst title ever, BUT:

A couple of friends have mentioned that if you didn't get into an elective during your own faculty/year's registration period, you can actually wait 'til the opening of another faculty's registration to take one of the spots reserved for them. (Granted, this sounds horrible, but it seems feasible?)

Does this make sense? Does the Registrar designate a few spots for electives to open up every day as opposed to just opening up all electives from the first group's registration. This would especially be important for courses that are popular for upper years to take. Unless, 4th Years get dibs??

Any confirmation would be awesome. Shpanks!
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:02 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

This doesn't sound feasible to me.

SOLAR knows who you are and knows your faculty/program.

If spots in a course are reserved for students in Kin for example if you're in Bio SOLAR will know and I can't see you getting a spot just because you logged on during Kin's registration period.

I really don't think it works that way.

myoozik says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:21 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I was under the impression that more seats are opened up as time goes by. So for example, say 3rd year Science was today (I don't know if it is) and there is a course that is required for it there will only be a certain number of seats. Then after a time, more seats will be open for those who want to take it as an elective.

I'm not sure really. I just know that for some reason, seats may become available after it says it's full.
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:37 PM   #4
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I was under the impression that more seats are opened up as time goes by. So for example, say 3rd year Science was today (I don't know if it is) and there is a course that is required for it there will only be a certain number of seats. Then after a time, more seats will be open for those who want to take it as an elective.

I'm not sure really. I just know that for some reason, seats may become available after it says it's full.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. But sew12's comment really makes sense. I think what you said feona is true, but integrating with sew12's, the spots that open up are probably just reserved for whoever's opening up that night (so those who are already opened up don't hoard the new spots), and then maybe after EVERYBODY has picked courses, the remainder of the unfilled spots reserved for all faculties would open up to everybody else.

blaggghhh You'd think they would open up more spots the following year for popular courses!
Old 06-18-2009 at 11:52 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Yeah, what myoozik said is most likely true. The registrar reserves spots for the students that are required to take the courses. They most likely over reserve for safety reasons (If they reserve just enough seats and something goes wrong they would have to kick someone out or move the class to an entirely new classroom with more seats). Therefore the reserved seats that don't get filled up will be open to everyone. Although when this happens I do not know, most probably the following day.
Old 06-19-2009 at 10:46 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Think back to when you were in first year (most specifically last year, because i recall this happening)....

You tried to register in your classes (and you were the first day of first year course selection). And it was a course you needed to complete your program, for example you were in Life Sci I and you needed to take Psych 1X03 or Calc 1A03.

It was full. A first year class should not be full for first years on the first day of class selection. The registrar realized they needed to make room, and they did so.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-19-2009 at 10:52 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I believe myoozik is right, and that they open more seats which can be taken by anyone. When I was doing one of the SOLAR help/tutorial sessions for first years last year there was an elective that was full and some students were told to try again the next day when another faculty was being let into SOLAR because more seats would be added on a 'rolling' basis...