MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible Minors w/ Comp. Sci.? Andrew A Academics 10 07-31-2010 06:08 PM
Majors and Minors? Hanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-19-2010 11:45 AM
MSU Awards Committee Seats open! huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-04-2010 04:07 PM
MSU/SRA Committee Seats Available lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-16-2009 10:33 AM
Minors Kevin Academics 4 05-14-2008 10:28 AM

Opening up seats for minors?

Old 06-25-2009 at 06:40 AM   #1
marrgarita

Liked: 1 Time

Opening up seats for minors?
I want to minor in sociology, but all of the sociology electives that I can take are full. Would an academic advisor/prof be willing to open a seat for me if its a minor? Considering you're not actually registered in your minor? Last year (first year) they opened up a spot in a course for me that I needed to get into my desired level two program without being registered in that program yet. Who would I contact about opening up a seat in a sociology course?

Also, I really wanted to take psych 2aa3, but its full and its a pre-req for a lot of third year courses that I'd like to take (I'm majoring in psych). What are the chances of them opening a seat for that as well?

If all else fails I will stake out mugsi.
Old 06-25-2009 at 06:53 AM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I would send an e-mail to your academic advisor and the sociology department. They may be more hesistant to do so though.

As for psych 2AA3, if it's not a required course they're not as likely to open up a seat. However, if you explain the situation (that you need it as a prereq for upper years) it will likely help.
Old 06-25-2009 at 06:58 AM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

marrgrita .. I JUST added psych 2aa3. Hmm this is weird
Old 06-25-2009 at 07:01 AM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Maybe someone just dropped it =p
Old 06-25-2009 at 08:02 AM   #5
shockalot

Liked: 11 Times

DARN lol i'm dying to get psych 2AA3! Come on...someone..please drop!
I'm in the same position as you are, I'd try contacting the departments, they respond a lot quicker =)
Old 06-25-2009 at 09:09 AM   #6
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrgarita View Post
Would an academic advisor/prof be willing to open a seat for me if its a minor?

I don't think so, but maybe it depends on the department. I think as far as they're concerned, you don't NEED a minor to graduate, so you have as much of a chance to get into the course as the next person who wants an elective.

At least that's the way they sounded to me.
Old 06-25-2009 at 09:27 AM   #7
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

I haven't tried for a spot in a sociology course, but last year I could not get into a Math course, which I needed to minor in Math. So I just emailed the dept. and told them the situation and they opened a spot for me. I know some people who also wanted to take it as an elective and emailed, but they did not get in. So I think they do prefer someone who needs a course for minoring, but maybe it depends on the faculty.
Also I would suggest to email the dept. ASAP.
Good Luck!
Old 06-25-2009 at 09:31 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I say, when in doubt just attempt. There is no harm in attempting. An e-mail can take 5 minutes of your time. Rejection sucks, but acceptance is worth it ^-^