MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year Math - A TA's Perspective Mowicz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 109 08-26-2009 08:20 PM
is math required for kin?? sparks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-05-2009 12:36 PM
required course already taken robvvrob Academics 3 06-28-2009 10:20 PM
Can you take a required course in the summer? skelly89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 01-08-2009 04:53 PM

TA's are not legally REQUIRED to strike

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:07 PM   #31
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

As usual CUPE is up to their old tricks. Plan a meeting on a Sunday right after halloween with less than 24 hours in advance and call it a general meeting. So ppl that thought it was a general meeting probably didn't go or was too tired from the night before or didn't get enough time to response to the email. Then the union pulls the wool over their eyes and holds a vote during this so call "general meeting". In essence, if ppl knew that it was going to be a vote on the offer, there would probably be a better turnout and the union should have really given more time to let their members know about a meeting. Usually a vote is held over several days not just one. Well I guess thats how CUPe does it all the time.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:09 PM   #32
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
oh. what is the MSU's silly position on this issue?
LOLtroll

The MSU's official position is one which is defined in policy as "that which is in the best interest of students". The MSU as an organizational whole has taken a strong position showing no official support for either side, as that can be problematic on a grand scale (see York).

I don't consider a strike to be in the best interest of students, and so I'm fighting against it.

DannyV, Stan like this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:10 PM   #33
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

well, thanks then taunton.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:12 PM   #34
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
well, thanks then taunton.
No problem!
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:13 PM   #35
Stan

Like Taunton said above, a strike is definitely not the best interest of students. I feel it is correct that the MSU remains neutral on this issue as it would be harmful to the MSU to support a side as the York student union did. I'm surprised up to this point that a facebook group hasn't been setup to distribute information...but at least the university is taking the right steps and putting up info via twitter and dailynews update on their website.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:14 PM   #36
Buttle

Liked: 58 Times

Now, this is a story all about how
The life of some students got flipped-turned upside down
And I like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the union leader of something unfair

In west Hamilton born and raised
On the campus was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And rallying picketers outside of the school
When a couple of administration guys
Who were up to no good
Startin making trouble in my neighborhood
We got in one little fight and McMaster got scared
They said 'We refuse to give you a better deal, see if we care.'

I begged and pleaded with them day after day
But they refused our demands and sent us on our way
They took me to Sterling and told me to picket.
I put my ipod on and said, 'I might as well kick it'.

I pulled up to the gates about 7 or 8
And I yelled to the students 'Yo I'll mark your paper later'
I looked at the school,
And all the empty labs there,
Then sat on my throne as the leader of something unfair

arathbon, AYuen, BlakeM, myoozik like this.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:16 PM   #37
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Like Taunton said above, a strike is definitely not the best interest of students. I feel it is correct that the MSU remains neutral on this issue as it would be harmful to the MSU to support a side as the York student union did. I'm surprised up to this point that a facebook group hasn't been setup to distribute information...but at least the university is taking the right steps and putting up info via twitter and dailynews update on their website.
should i make a facebook group? lol
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:22 PM   #38
Stan

Quote:
should i make a facebook group? lol
Well, I was thinking on more of the university's way of conveying information to the students other than twitter and their website, they could send info via facebook, elm and many other resources as well as email. Perhaps in the future a text message update for anyone that signs up on a list. I didn't mean for CUPE to spread their info on how they will strike....
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:40 PM   #39
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Anyone have any ideas for small tokens of appreciation for TA's who are scabs/champs?

Personally I think the MSU should make "Student's Hero" buttons for them.
Good intentions, but if I wore such a "Student Hero" button, I may as well be wearing an "I'm a Scab: Beat me up" button.

Really wouldn't work out well for our student heroes. ):

Besides, I would opt not to wear a button anyway...I'm no hero, I simply love my job and don't agree with someone else's decision to keep me from doing my best.

Last edited by Mowicz : 11-01-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:43 PM   #40
hummeld

Liked: 28 Times

Just in the interests of clarification, at the general membership meeting this afternoon a vote was held to determine if the membership should perform a ratification vote on McMaster's last offer.

Article 9c of the local bylaws states that 24 hours notice must be given for an emergency meeting. The meeting occured at 4:00 PM this afternoon in the Burridge Gymnasium, and I received an email at 3:54 PM yesterday saying that a meeting would be occuring at some time and place (not specified).

Article 9c also states that the subject to be discussed must be included in the notice of the meeting. The emails that I recieved stated the purpose of the meeting will be to discuss issues pertaining to the upcoming strike action. I did not recieve any communication from the union stating that a vote on whether or not to pursue ratification would be occuring. The executive, however, had presentation slides prepared in advance detailing what we were voting on (i.e. a motion on whether or not to pursue ratification).

It came up at the start of the meeting that what was occuring was in violation of Article 9c, however the chair of the session (from a different local) stated that all requirements of Article 9c were met.

I agree that the "letter of the law", as it were, of Article 9c were followed. However, I have reservations that what occured was within the spirit of the law, but that's just my opinion and obviously not an objective fact.

arathbon, AYuen all say thanks to hummeld for this post.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:59 PM   #41
ramirez.a

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
They have to strike to get strike pay.

If they decide not to strike they will be considered scabs and can be punished by the union.

So no, they may not legally HAVE to strike but for a lot of reasons they unfortunately may feel pressured into striking even if they don't believe in it personally.

This PDF looks so friendly compared to what CUPE has actually said about strike breakers.
... that's not surprising.

The university admin are not idiots, they are clever professionals. They know how to sway public opinion, and have done a remarkable job at it.

They have used language that sounds soft and inviting, however to those of us that truly know what has been going on with negotiations, its repulsive to see how these individuals have the nerve to deceive all of you with their charming and 'friendly' words.

Just as a side note for you guys to know, since I've been criticizing and trying to bring to light the manipulative tactics the university has had with their deceiving information and outright lies regarding the negotiation process and its circumstances, its veryyyyy ironic that I did not receive the email the entire student population received last wednesday regarding the potential likihood of a strike.

I read the email from a friend who received, and sure enough, the information on the email was covered with manipulated language that did not tell the truth of what has/had been going on.

It's rather humerous, because if they had nothing to hide and in fact were not lying or manipulating their information, they would have hesitated to send me a notification.

Open your eyes McMaster students. Investigate things from both pespectives and interpret things on your own. I'm deeply convinced and still have faith that students will see they are being trampled upon with lies.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:05 AM   #42
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirez.a View Post
Just as a side note for you guys to know, since I've been criticizing and trying to bring to light the manipulative tactics the university has had with their deceiving information and outright lies regarding the negotiation process and its circumstances, its veryyyyy ironic that I did not receive the email the entire student population received last wednesday regarding the potential likihood of a strike.
Okay there conspiracy theory. You're worse than the 'moon landing was a hoax' people.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:06 AM   #43
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Okay there conspiracy theory. You're worse than the 'moon landing was a hoax' people.
trolling?
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:15 AM   #44
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
... that's not surprising.

The university admin are not idiots, they are clever professionals. They know how to sway public opinion, and have done a remarkable job at it.

They have used language that sounds soft and inviting, however to those of us that truly know what has been going on with negotiations, its repulsive to see how these individuals have the nerve to deceive all of you with their charming and 'friendly' words.

I read the email from a friend who received, and sure enough, the information on the email was covered with manipulated language that did not tell the truth of what has/had been going on.

It's rather humerous, because if they had nothing to hide and in fact were not lying or manipulating their information, they would have hesitated to send me a notification.

Open your eyes McMaster students. Investigate things from both pespectives and interpret things on your own. I'm deeply convinced and still have faith that students will see they are being trampled upon with lies.
I really do try and read the CUPE stuff but to be honest have you ever considered that CUPE's interests =/= students interests in the short and long terms?

Why doesn't CUPE just allow people with student ID to access campus undelayed?

Why doesn't CUPE approach the bus driver's union and say its no biggie for them to cross the picket line as it benefits students more than administration.

Why doesn't CUPE attempt to reach out to students in a NON-Agressive, NON-Intimidating kind of way. I mean people screaming fanatically (and condescendingly) at you through a microphone really doesn't make you feel like wanting to take your side or to even find out about your cause.

Why doesn't CUPE tell us the precise results of the strike mandate vote.

Why are there questions about the legitimacy of the vote held on sunday with very low turnout, and barely adequate notice, that may have lead to this extremely low turnout.

Why did CUPE refuse to put the offer to a vote BEFORE declaring a strike.

Why doesn't CUPE demand binding arbitration as a solution to prevent a strike. (notice: McMaster I want to ask you that too)

Why doesn't CUPE admit, the ones their strike will hurt the most are the students?

DannyV says thanks to arathbon for this post.

daisy likes this.
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:20 AM   #45
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:

Yeah, real fair and balanced there.

And you were the one trying to spearhead your own independent undergraduate support committee? Doesn't sound too independent to me. Independent is someone who can see the pros and cons from both sides and argue rationally without ranting.

Given how anti forced-union I am, I couldn't run the independent graduate support committee either. But then again, I never claimed I could.