MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year Math - A TA's Perspective Mowicz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 109 08-26-2009 08:20 PM
is math required for kin?? sparks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-05-2009 12:36 PM
required course already taken robvvrob Academics 3 06-28-2009 10:20 PM
Can you take a required course in the summer? skelly89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 01-08-2009 04:53 PM

TA's are not legally REQUIRED to strike

Old 11-02-2009 at 12:22 AM   #46
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

the emails and news updates from mac are obvi a little
<REMOVED BY MODERATOR> isnt wrong about that

Last edited by Chad : 11-02-2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Code Of Conduct
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:27 AM   #47
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
the emails and news updates from mac are obvi a little
bullshitty ramirez isnt wrong about that
Let me tell you, I found them more helpfull and LESS biased than CUPE's material. But you know, we could all read The Spectator or The Sil (well maybe kind of) if we want third party reporting....
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:40 AM   #48
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Please keep swears to a minimum and avoid directing them at other users.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 11-02-2009 at 11:57 PM   #49
ramirez.a

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYuen View Post
Yeah, real fair and balanced there.

And you were the one trying to spearhead your own independent undergraduate support committee? Doesn't sound too independent to me. Independent is someone who can see the pros and cons from both sides and argue rationally without ranting.

Given how anti forced-union I am, I couldn't run the independent graduate support committee either. But then again, I never claimed I could.

Well I think our concepts of independent differ.
To me, it is organizing voluntarily, willingly and independently. I also emphasized in prior statements made about the committee that it does have a decisive and firm stance on the issue.

However the reason why I encourage students to read from both sources of information is because i have a tremendous amount of faith that students will realize they are being deceived at a level I've personally never experienced or seen before.

The information that most student inquire is primarily from the university website, which i assure you - and can prove - that it is all manipulated. I'm not talking about portraying a certain bias, I mean literally manipulating the language of information that is entirely misleading and portrays false conditions and circumstances. In simpler words - they are lies.

I recommend that if everyone decides to read from the university website, to also visit CUPEs bargaining blog : http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.com

The only problem is that there is a tremendous amount of information to follow up on, that requires time to analyze in-depth.
Old 11-03-2009 at 12:08 AM   #50
benjs

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirez.a View Post
To me, it is organizing voluntarily, willingly and independently. I also emphasized in prior statements made about the committee that it does have a decisive and firm stance on the issue.

However the reason why I encourage students to read from both sources of information is because i have a tremendous amount of faith that students will realize they are being deceived at a level I've personally never experienced or seen before.

The information that most student inquire is primarily from the university website, which i assure you - and can prove - that it is all manipulated. I'm not talking about portraying a certain bias, I mean literally manipulating the language of information that is entirely misleading and portrays false conditions and circumstances. In simpler words - they are lies.

I recommend that if everyone decides to read from the university website, to also visit CUPEs bargaining blog : http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.com

The only problem is that there is a tremendous amount of information to follow up on, that requires time to analyze in-depth.
Why is it that I've visited both sites, and with the skewed information each side may be providing, I have no clearer of an idea of what's going on than before. The amount of bias each side of this issue is providing is astounding to me, and frankly, I find it hard to be sympathetic for either CUPE, or McMaster, at this point. My deepest sympathy goes out to the TAs, however, who have to make the tough decision to stand by their union for something they believe in, stand by their union for something they don't, or cross the picket line to be frowned upon by their union, in an effort to keep us undergraduates unscathed by this mess.

AYuen, kleung like this.
Old 11-03-2009 at 12:10 AM   #51
AYuen

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Go for it then.

Until you back up your rants with actual facts (numbers!), I will not get in a pissing match with you regarding who is lying more. I've already given several examples of shady dealings by CUPE 3906, all of which were backed up by written statements.

kleung likes this.
Old 11-03-2009 at 12:11 AM   #52
kleung

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:

You're absolutely right, we should read from both sources.

Read this, and tell me why I shouldn't believe it. I warn you though, it's pretty scathing.

http://www.workingatmcmaster .ca/li...aight-1-42.pdf

AYuen, daisy, DannyV, stevennevets, Taunton all say thanks to kleung for this post.

AYuen, stevennevets, Taunton like this.
Old 11-03-2009 at 06:18 PM   #53
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
... that's not surprising.

The university admin are not idiots, they are clever professionals. They know how to sway public opinion, and have done a remarkable job at it.
Who would have thought that not blocking off traffic, not interfering with classes and not swearing at students would help sway public opinion in a positive manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Okay there conspiracy theory. You're worse than the 'moon landing was a hoax' people.
DON"TYOUREALIZETHEREI SNOWINDONTHEMOON!?!?! !

kleung likes this.