MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worth Going from Social Service Work to Social Work? AdventSign First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 12-26-2013 07:39 AM
Social Work 3F03 - social work with groups sinthusized 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 12-10-2011 03:54 PM

Teacher's College, Work or Social Work

Old 05-24-2014 at 12:01 PM   #1
AztekEscobar

Liked: 2 Times

Teacher's College, Work or Social Work
Hey guys I am in a bit of a crazy situation right now and I was hoping to get some of your opinions on the matter. As of now I am working a full time job which is contracted until March 2015, but I just got a letter in the mail from Brock U stating that I got into the Hamilton Campus(close to home). On top of that I am waiting to find out if I will be accepted into the post grade BSW program.

What is really getting me is this is the final year for the one year teachers college certificate and its in Hamilton. However, I am also working and getting experience with this but. The only thing is this job is a max two year and you move on type of job.

I would like to get some opinions from you guys to help me decide, the more I know the better.

Thank you.
Old 05-24-2014 at 01:04 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Go for the long term plan. Do u want social work or teachers? Thats up to u
Old 05-25-2014 at 08:20 PM   #3
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

So you have a choice of:

Go to teachers college and quit work
Keep work but not go to teachers college/social work
Just go to social work

Are these your options? I am a bit confused by the bit about how you can move with your job.
Old 05-26-2014 at 08:55 AM   #4
AztekEscobar

Sorry about the confusion.

So my options are:

- teachers college and quit job
- keep working
- social work and quit( cannot do part time classes due to hours)

Thing is the job is the type that you max out at two years, so I can't see myself there for more than 2 years.
Old 05-26-2014 at 09:13 AM   #5
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Is the job related to teaching or social work? Is it something where burning that bridge will negatively impact your future chances in those fields? If yes, defer your acceptance and keep working until your contract is up. If no, quit the job and go back to school.
Old 05-26-2014 at 02:20 PM   #6
AztekEscobar

Thanks ashleighp for your response. The job I am working is at an after school drop in centre. It is more so related to social work. Also,I cannot defer due to it being the last one year program for teaching, after this year its a two year program.
Old 05-26-2014 at 04:02 PM   #7
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Hmmm... I would personally choose the two-year program if you can afford to do the extra year. The second year will mostly be in-class placements and I would imagine will give you a competitive edge in the job market as part of the first graduating class in Ontario to do the two-year program (especially with two years experience working in an after school drop in centre). There are far more teachers than teaching positions in Ontario right now so you'll need all the edge you can get.
Old 05-27-2014 at 11:09 AM   #8
AztekEscobar

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Teaching wouldn't make sense right now as I dont want to burn any bridges and I am fortunate enough to have a full time job at least for the mean time. I'll see if I can defer acceptance, but from what I read you cannot defer acceptance.