MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bandwidth Chevalier Computers & Tech 5 01-22-2011 03:13 PM
How is bandwidth calculated? lawleypop General Discussion 31 09-14-2009 02:37 PM
Internet speed/bandwidth caps Juicebox General Discussion 11 05-11-2009 09:38 PM
Internet bandwidth limit kenneth526 Residence & Housing 34 03-08-2009 10:53 PM
MacInsiders Peaking Bandwidth Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-27-2008 10:37 PM

TeksavvyInternet: Unlimited Bandwidth or Not

Old 07-19-2012 at 07:41 AM   #1
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

TeksavvyInternet: Unlimited Bandwidth or Not
Hi everyone. As summer approaches a fast end, I am being forced to find a proper plan for the internet in a house. I am looking at teksavvy right now. I am hoping to get some help from other customers who have this service before. http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp ...I dont know the policy for posting links, so i hope i am not breaking any code of conduct,etc.

To begin with about the situation:
There will be 4 ppl in the area including myself. 1 guy torrents alot. Another guy and myself barely download any large files such as movies, games, etc although he does play alot of LOL. We mostly download only school documents, or watch movies in 720p or higher in youtube or other sites. The last guy i have no idea. 3/4 ppl skype when there is an oppourtunity. I dont.

To start off from the title:
1) How many students did you live with during your year and what internet plan did you go with?
2) What do you think I should go with unlimited bandwidth or not?
3) How was teksavvy? Good, bad, funfair, sneaky, etc?
4) Anything I should watch out for if I decide to go with them?

And any more info would help greatly

Thank you for reading.
Old 07-19-2012 at 10:33 AM   #2
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

I'm using Teksavvy right now for summer school, and yes, it is unlimited bandwidth, but the speed is pretty garbage since it's DSL. It drops a lot when just 2 people strain it (me and my roomie). We're going to have 8 people in our house in the fall, so there is no chance in hell we're keeping it. We're gonna switch to Cogeco because what good is unlimited bandwidth if you can't download fast enough? :p

With that said, call em and ask what plans you can get in your area. If its the same DSL we got, then... well, your call.
Old 07-19-2012 at 10:44 AM   #3
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I didnt go with Teksavvy because the price of their unlimited is more than the price of Acanac - which is always unlimited, and i believe on both if you dont have a phone phone you have to ad ~$8/mo for a dry loop.

We are 5 ppl in a house (sometime the basement person joins in, making it 6) so we split ~$35+$8/mo, its prepaid tho so you have to order a full 12 months and pay up front.
Our speeds are slow when everyone is on, and we get cut-outs in the internet, but i think its the cheap router I have.
Old 07-19-2012 at 10:49 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
Hi everyone. As summer approaches a fast end, I am being forced to find a proper plan for the internet in a house. I am looking at teksavvy right now. I am hoping to get some help from other customers who have this service before. http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp ...I dont know the policy for posting links, so i hope i am not breaking any code of conduct,etc.

To begin with about the situation:
There will be 4 ppl in the area including myself. 1 guy torrents alot. Another guy and myself barely download any large files such as movies, games, etc although he does play alot of LOL. We mostly download only school documents, or watch movies in 720p or higher in youtube or other sites. The last guy i have no idea. 3/4 ppl skype when there is an oppourtunity. I dont.

To start off from the title:
1) How many students did you live with during your year and what internet plan did you go with?

And any more info would help greatly

Thank you for reading.
1) We had 6 people using teksavvy on DSL6.

2) I don't think gaming online takes up a lot of bandwidth. You should ask the guy how much he torrents. "A lot" means different things to different people. I know people who think even 30GBs/mo is a lot and other people who consider 200-300GBs/mo a lot. As for youtube it depends on how much of it you watch. I believe a 5minute 720p video is like 70-75MBs so if you youtube for 1 hour you are using ~800MBs. And 1 hour a day for a month is like 24GBs. So figure out how much bandwidth everyone uses.

3) The only problem I had with my internet was that it cut off every 2-3 weeks for a couple minutes. No idea why and when I called Teksavvy about it they said it was probably the old wiring of the house. Even with 1 person torrenting constantly, another person was playing MMOs, and other people were able to stream youtube without waiting for buffer.

4) Probably not.
Old 07-19-2012 at 01:56 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:

1. House of 7 atm soon 5, Cogeco cable.
2. Always unlim.
3. No clue.
4. Streaming is also included in bandwidth. Skype call too. Rememeber that upload speed drains internet more than download speed. Say your torrent guy is downloading. The download portion should be fine if say you have 20 MB/s download speed. The highest one could get is prob 2 MB/s from private torrents or a debrid site. Therefore you have plenty of other bandwidth to play around with. However your upload is most likely going to be at 1 MB/s. One or maybe two skype calls would cap it and lag it down alot since upload requires more effort. Plus add the torrent guy seeding which requires upload.
Old 07-19-2012 at 02:04 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
2. Always unlim.
3. No clue.
4. Streaming is also included in bandwidth. Skype call too. Rememeber that upload speed drains internet more than download speed. Say your torrent guy is downloading. The download portion should be fine if say you have 20 MB/s download speed. The highest one could get is prob 2 MB/s from private torrents or a debrid site. Therefore you have plenty of other bandwidth to play around with. However your upload is most likely going to be at 1 MB/s. One or maybe two skype calls would cap it and lag it down alot since upload requires more effort. Plus add the torrent guy seeding which requires upload.
[/color][/color]
I don't think skype calls take up a lot of bandwidth either. You would probably have to be skyping for several hours everyday for it to have a significant impact on a 300GB bandwidth. As for the torrenting guy, they can cap their upload speed if other people need to use upload.
Old 07-19-2012 at 02:34 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

@jhan, it's not about skype bandwidth. It's about upload speed. About the torrenting guy, depends on if he uses private/public torrents
Old 07-19-2012 at 04:01 PM   #8
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I don't think skype calls take up a lot of bandwidth either. You would probably have to be skyping for several hours everyday for it to have a significant impact on a 300GB bandwidth. As for the torrenting guy, they can cap their upload speed if other people need to use upload.
I have a bandwidth monitor for years since I have a 3gb limit when I go home.

Basically:

Skype Calling (without video) takes up like 50 mb an hour, but video (depending on quality) can be many times this

Youtube takes between 10 (for lowest quality) to 130 mb for 1080P for each video that is about 5-10 mins

MMO patches take up large amounts, usually a couple gb's, but actually playing them takes about 25-100 mb per hour (depends on game and if you are doing raids and stuff)
Old 08-12-2012 at 08:15 PM   #9
ONasri15

Liked: 0 Times

I have teksavvy in Mississauga 28Mbps unlimited. Couldn't live without it, I download alot! Plus the speed is phenomenal, and no problems whatsoever.
Old 08-12-2012 at 09:31 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONasri15 View Post
I have teksavvy in Mississauga 28Mbps unlimited. Couldn't live without it, I download alot! Plus the speed is phenomenal, and no problems whatsoever.
Unfortunately in Hamilton Cogeco has a monopoly over the cable internet service and is preventing TekSavvy from serving there (at least last I heard a couple years ago).

So everyone's stuck with DSL, unless they want the shitty Cogeco super-highspeed with a measly 100 GB cap.

Also, I've noticed with TekSavvy - it doesn't matter whether you go unlimited or not; they never charge you for the extra bandwidth, even if overage is ~1.5 times. Not sure if this is for courtesy, or if their systems are simply incapable of accurately tracking bandwidth usage.
Old 08-12-2012 at 10:17 PM   #11
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Cogeco only serves the lower portion of the city though.
the rest of the city is split between SHAW and SOURCE.

That doesn't mean you can't get other service providers. I have primus myself. and dsl isn't that bad if you're fine with 4-5mbps.
Old 08-12-2012 at 11:02 PM   #12
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
2. Always unlim.
3. No clue.
[/color][/color]
? Cogeco and unlimited?

All the people with "slow speed" issues, are you on the 25Mbit package? After getting 200% on our bandwidth (Cogeco 250GB), our house of 7 wants to switch over to the 25Mb unlimited teksavvy package and we've only got the DSL option in our area.
Old 08-12-2012 at 11:23 PM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Our scenario is abit different. The house is owned by a housing company so they got some deal with cogeco. They say not to dl or w/e but I stream or whatever all the time and in a house of 10 that's alot. A housemate asked and he believes it's unlim (also we never got complaints so just stream 1080p allday >_>)
Old 08-13-2012 at 08:08 AM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

As mentioned by someone previously - check out start.ca
Old 08-18-2012 at 02:05 PM   #15
Emily T

Liked: 0 Times

Generally for any company, is DSL with dry loop a good/bad/ugly option?