MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bandwidth Chevalier Computers & Tech 5 01-22-2011 03:13 PM
How is bandwidth calculated? lawleypop General Discussion 31 09-14-2009 02:37 PM
Internet speed/bandwidth caps Juicebox General Discussion 11 05-11-2009 09:38 PM
Internet bandwidth limit kenneth526 Residence & Housing 34 03-08-2009 10:53 PM
MacInsiders Peaking Bandwidth Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-27-2008 10:37 PM

TeksavvyInternet: Unlimited Bandwidth or Not

Old 08-18-2012 at 03:02 PM   #16
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
1) We had 6 people using teksavvy on DSL6.

2) I don't think gaming online takes up a lot of bandwidth. You should ask the guy how much he torrents. "A lot" means different things to different people. I know people who think even 30GBs/mo is a lot and other people who consider 200-300GBs/mo a lot. As for youtube it depends on how much of it you watch. I believe a 5minute 720p video is like 70-75MBs so if you youtube for 1 hour you are using ~800MBs. And 1 hour a day for a month is like 24GBs. So figure out how much bandwidth everyone uses.

3) The only problem I had with my internet was that it cut off every 2-3 weeks for a couple minutes. No idea why and when I called Teksavvy about it they said it was probably the old wiring of the house. Even with 1 person torrenting constantly, another person was playing MMOs, and other people were able to stream youtube without waiting for buffer.

4) Probably not.
i find it hard to believe you'd have no problems with torrents, playing online games and streaming youtube vids without any slowdown on DSL6
Old 08-18-2012 at 05:02 PM   #17
WeRunTheCity

Liked: 1 Time

i heard they are pretty good

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-18-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2012 at 05:38 PM   #18
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
i find it hard to believe you'd have no problems with torrents, playing online games and streaming youtube vids without any slowdown on DSL6
Yeah, doesnt make much sense logically, unless the guy torrenting was capping his speeds to about 200kB/s
Old 08-20-2012 at 06:40 AM   #19
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
I was thinking the same, I have 7Mb connection at home and we barely make it through with my sister and me using the connection at the same time. The moment I turn my torrents on we are unable to surf. Keep in mind with a 6/7Mb connection you will only be getting 600-700KB/s down.

I would think a 15-25MB connection would be ideal for 4+ people. I am waiting for Bell to lay down their fibe lines in my area.

side note, what speed does cogeco offer for their unlimited plans? My landlord said we have unlimited cogeco :S