MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone line Insider First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-01-2010 04:06 AM
Best Cell Phone Coverage! jwallace80 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 39 08-15-2010 11:22 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Telus Cell Phone Policy

Old 11-14-2010 at 07:28 PM   #1
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

Telus Cell Phone Policy
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what telus' policy is regarding cancelling data on a plan... are you still able to do so after 1 year without penalty?

Does anyone know if bell is the same deal?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2010 at 08:43 PM   #2
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Read your contract... If I remember correctly I believe Telus has a 200$ fee if you're a year or less left in contract... And I believe its 20$/month for the remaining months left... You're better off just waiting it out unless you have lots of disposable income
Old 11-14-2010 at 08:46 PM   #3
demelo_b

oh..... i didnt mean like cancelling the entire plan....just taking data off (so like dropping from a 50 dollar plan to say a 25 dollar plan without data)
Old 11-14-2010 at 08:48 PM   #4
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

With telus.. and all other cell phone companies you can always change your plans around. If you have a data add on you can take it off if you no longer need it or cant afford it, etc. You plan can be changed as many times as you like and things can be added on (like data or texting ad ons) however you must always have some sort of plan on the cell phone. With telus I know they allow you to do it for free 2 times a year and after that they charge you i think 20 dollars - not too sure about bell. The only thing they dont allow you to do is cancel your plan completely if you are locked into a contract. You can buy it out but it is 20 dollars per month left on your contract (with telus). Hopefully I answered your question - i have been with telus for over 10 years so I know most information about them if you have any other questions.
Old 11-14-2010 at 09:02 PM   #5
demelo_b

so technically, i could buy a iphone 4 with the data plan, cancel the data after 1 year and just use the iphone as a normal phone (with wifi) without penalty?
Old 11-14-2010 at 10:39 PM   #6
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

You are only required to keep your data plan for one year. If you've had it for over a year, there is no penalty to cancel. And to demlo b, yes, you can certainly do that.
Old 11-15-2010 at 03:21 AM   #7
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

All telus cell phones require some sort of a data plan... I learned this when I wanted to have a blackberry on pay-as-you-go... You can only change it to a more inexpensive data-plan or change other features

Like someone already said, you are allowed to change your plan I thought it was ONCE a year for free... Keep in mind your bill will be high when you change your plan because they like to do that "pro-rated" crap, to make up for the time that you used the one plan + the extension of the new one, which the remaining months of the plan you don't use that month, will get deducted from the total amount of your final bill
Old 11-15-2010 at 08:58 AM   #8
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
All telus cell phones require some sort of a data plan... I learned this when I wanted to have a blackberry on pay-as-you-go... You can only change it to a more inexpensive data-plan or change other features

Like someone already said, you are allowed to change your plan I thought it was ONCE a year for free... Keep in mind your bill will be high when you change your plan because they like to do that "pro-rated" crap, to make up for the time that you used the one plan + the extension of the new one, which the remaining months of the plan you don't use that month, will get deducted from the total amount of your final bill
Only smartphones require data plans (on 3 year terms!). Otherwise, you don't need one. And for TELUS, you can't get a data plan for your BlackBerry on prepaid. Only Rogers offers that right now, I believe. And you can change your plan twice a year.