MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone who has term 2 Physics 1L03 want to trade for the term 1 course? Yuls Academics 0 08-13-2010 01:42 PM
Summer School Term 1 Grades sdb23 Academics 4 06-16-2010 09:55 PM
What happens if you fail a course first term that is a prerequisite for second term? MacPack Academics 3 06-11-2010 04:44 PM
Term 2 Summer grades release? tungo89 Academics 7 08-13-2009 08:07 AM
Summer school (term 1) grades MLSA29 Academics 11 06-30-2009 08:58 PM

Term 2 grades

Old 05-07-2009 at 03:27 PM   #1
zakrata

Liked: 0 Times

Term 2 grades
In the Mugsi, "Degree audit" section, all of my grades are posted, except for one that is just blank. The professor mentioned that the marks were given on Monday and it takes more time if your last name is at the end of the alphabet. I'm not sure why it is still not posted, even though this is the last day,, i think.
Old 05-07-2009 at 03:50 PM   #2
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Yeah, today is the last day. I haven't received my Economics mark yet, even though the professor told us that they would be posted today. Maybe they're just slow...

However, if you haven't received your mark by the end of today, I'd suggest e-mailing your professor as soon as possible.

~KS

Last edited by Kevin S : 05-07-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2009 at 03:51 PM   #3
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

I still don't have my French mark, that exam was on the 25th, and I've gotten my mark from a History exam on the 27th
Old 05-07-2009 at 04:55 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maegs View Post
I still don't have my French mark, that exam was on the 25th, and I've gotten my mark from a History exam on the 27th
Are you in French 1K06? I JUST got that mark yesterday like after 6 PM -- I had been checking all day. So if you don't get it by today then I would contact Dr. Banks or your TA.
Old 05-07-2009 at 05:08 PM   #5
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Are you in French 1K06? I JUST got that mark yesterday like after 6 PM -- I had been checking all day. So if you don't get it by today then I would contact Dr. Banks or your TA.
It hasn't shown up in my grade report yet, but it might be in my degree audit (the mark that shows up there is the same as my midterm though so I'm not sure)
Old 05-07-2009 at 08:23 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Oh yeah, that's your mark. It hasn't shown up on my grade report either -- but it's definitely your grade. The degree audit only shows final grades.

Maegs says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 05-07-2009 at 09:28 PM   #7
zakrata

Liked: 0 Times

The course that still has not showed up in degree audit is econ 1bo3. The prof already submitted the marks for this course. Who would you contact if there are problems with a grade not showing up?
Old 05-07-2009 at 10:40 PM   #8
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times

The professor is the person to contact. If you're taking Econ 1B03, I assume your professor is Hannah Holmes. Tomorrow, call her at 905-525-9140 extension 23834. If you get her answering machine--leave a message. Email her as well [email protected].

I did this, and my professor responded within 1 day. Just ask.
Old 05-08-2009 at 03:14 PM   #9
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

My Biology and psychology marks are still blank! Im worried!
Old 05-08-2009 at 03:22 PM   #10
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

mumbojumbo, instead of clicking Grade Reports, if you click Mugsi, then My Academics, then "Degree Audit" you should see your bio mark (I'm not sure about psych). If you don't I'd suggest calling/e-mailing Dr. Kajiura & Dr. Kim.
Old 05-08-2009 at 06:38 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

It says something on the Grade Report about Final Grade Reports not coming out until the 30th, maybe the marks won't show up until then...? I don't understand why some and not all though.
Old 05-11-2009 at 04:21 AM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

What happens is as follows:

-You have the exam period, you write your exams, thumbs up (hopefully).

-On the last day of the exam period, or somewhere around there, grades that have been submitted by professors up to that point are released on your grade report (or degree audit). These are preliminary grades...but don't worry, in my many years at Mac, I've never had any issue with grades changing...and I've had my share of issues, haha. Your grades will not be any lower than those you see right now.**

-Grades continue to be posted as they are received, until some deadline date.

-Then grades are no long published, but are still being sorted out and submitted...if your grades are not posted yet, they will not be posted until (in this case) the 30th for returning undergrads. I'm not sure why this is exactly, but I guess it's for administrative reasons.

-Then your finalized grades are posted (on May 30th) and you can go about your business.

Here are three common questions:

1) Why is my grade for {whatever course} not posted yet?
-A few things can delay the posting of grades: ie. writing the exam late in the exam period, large class sizes, and extraordinarily low exam results...or of course a combination of the three.

Large class sizes are clearly an issue as they take more time to grade and calculate your results.

Low test results are often time looked at (in the sciences at least in my experience) and bellcurved in some way...your professors may be considering multiple grading schemes such as a "Resurrection Final" (100% exam) or reweighting of the other course requirements in some other way. Typically, your prof will give you the maximum grade over all grading schemes. This too, as you probably understand, is time consuming...particula rly for large classes!

2) Why are the grades only preliminary? What's the point in making us wait until May 30th?
-All course grades are reviewed by the respective departments, as well as the instructors' performance. (Recall that you filled out little teacher evaluations). If like 90% of the students complain that the prof went too fast, gave unreasonable work, etc. then the department will hopefully move in favour of the students and bellcurve the grades up even higher. Or naturally, the department can say "Wow, these grades are awful" and make a similar adjustment.

This sounds very speculative, but I've been a TA and hence been involved in exam grading and have a limited knowledge of the process. I don't know all the administrative procedure, but I have been told "If grades are to be adjusted, no student's mark can ever drop." (so rest assured...) There are legal complications that McMaster would rather avoid entirely.

3) What do I do now? My grade isn't posted and I'm stressed out!
-Reach out and contact your professor. Send them a nice friendly email asking for your grade and letting them know that your mark is not posted. If this fails for whatever logistical reason (such as them being away at a conference) you can contact the department of study for your specific course. I'm not positive about whether or not the department itself knows your grades (though it should), but they can definitely arrange for you to go in and see your final exam...fully graded. From there you can hopefully, ballpark what your grade should be.

You have several options, if you're the type to stress over grades, don't let it get to the point of some real anxiety issues...send out an email and make things happen.

Good luck!

cburji, Kayli, lorend, sycoman all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.