MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
life science 2no3 switch from term one to term two Annieloveedw Academics 1 09-06-2012 05:19 PM
Feedback Needed For Term 1 Of A Life Science Student StephStudies First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-09-2011 08:31 PM
Life Science 1 Timetable HELP!! (Please help me T T ..LOL) HanPark9205 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 08-09-2011 10:58 AM
LIFE SCIENCE Timetable :D Biochem47 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 08-26-2010 09:16 AM
Timetable 10/11 Life Science Aadilb7 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-26-2010 03:33 PM

Term 2 Life Science Timetable

Old 12-04-2013 at 08:32 PM   #1
RiskBreaker

Liked: 5 Times

Term 2 Life Science Timetable
I'm in Life Sciences and am planning on specializing for biochemistry next year. Here is what I'm taking for term two:

Math 1AA3 (Calculus II)
Math 1B03 (Linear Algebra)
Math 1C03 (Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning)
Chemistry 1AA3 (Chemistry II)
Biology 1A03 (Cellular & Molecular Biology)

Hours per week: 24

Initially I was taking Physics 1BB3 because it was a "recommended course" for biochemistry majors. But for reasons found here [especially that insight from Incognitus, I decided against it and swapped it for Math 1C03 (Mathematical Reasoning) just out of interest.

Also, I'd like to add that I had this term I schedule;

Math 1A03 (Calculus I)
Chem 1A03 (Chemistry I)
Biology 1M03 (Biodiversity, Evolution and Humanity)
Psyche 1X03 (Introduction to Psychology)
Physics 1B03 (Physics Mechanics and Waves)

As you probably see, I'm am trying to set myself to minor in mathematics with biochemistry.

So, please any advice/recommendations/suggestions are highly appreciated (especially from upper year biochemistry/science students)! i.e. I want to know whether this is a realistic schedule for getting a 3.3-3.6ish GPA. and am I stupid for considering a math minor with biochem specialization?

Last edited by RiskBreaker : 12-04-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2013 at 09:39 PM   #2
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

If you really love math go for it, other wise I'd say drop it, how are you doing in math 1A03 right now? Im assuming you are doing quite well in Math 1A03 with this plan for the future.

RiskBreaker says thanks to Danielrus for this post.
Old 12-04-2013 at 09:56 PM   #3
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

you can minor in whatever interests you! however a minor usually requires 24 units in total (8 courses) so even if you take 1 math course/term for the rest of your undergrad you can finish your minor in 4 years. no need to take ALL the maths in one term! even if you enjoy it a lot, it still requires lots of time! i suggest you take some courses with easier work load instead of all those math courses and maybe keep 1?

RiskBreaker says thanks to kitty1 for this post.
Old 12-05-2013 at 12:03 AM   #4
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskBreaker View Post
Here is what I'm taking for term two:

Math 1AA3 (Calculus II)
Math 1B03 (Linear Algebra)
Math 1C03 (Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning)
Chemistry 1AA3 (Chemistry II)
Biology 1A03 (Cellular & Molecular Biology)

Hours per week: 24
Its very realistic to get a high average (11ish) with only 5 courses. Bio 1A03 takes time but has very basic content from highschool and is quite easy. 1AA3 i found a bit more difficult than 1A/E03 but thats mostly because of taste. The maths all seem pretty jokes. If you really want to be an extremist I would recommend not wasting your time in math class and just watching a few khan academy videos for each math once a week (total 1-1.5 hours/week) and your golden. Your certainly going to have lots of time to do whatever you would like next semester.

RiskBreaker says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 12-05-2013 at 03:45 PM   #5
RiskBreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielrus View Post
If you really love math go for it, other wise I'd say drop it, how are you doing in math 1A03 right now? Im assuming you are doing quite well in Math 1A03 with this plan for the future.
89%, I am hoping it would go up to 90 after exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1 View Post
you can minor in whatever interests you! however a minor usually requires 24 units in total (8 courses) so even if you take 1 math course/term for the rest of your undergrad you can finish your minor in 4 years. no need to take ALL the maths in one term! even if you enjoy it a lot, it still requires lots of time! i suggest you take some courses with easier work load instead of all those math courses and maybe keep 1?
The problem is my schedule, McMaster's course modification is very stiff. I wanted to get into a philosophy 1a03 but its not offered second term. Now, that I think of it, it does seem like a lot. I'll try to get more opinions about it, shoot Dr. Haskell an email about the work load for these math courses.
Old 12-05-2013 at 03:51 PM   #6
RiskBreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Its very realistic to get a high average (11ish) with only 5 courses. Bio 1A03 takes time but has very basic content from highschool and is quite easy. 1AA3 i found a bit more difficult than 1A/E03 but thats mostly because of taste. The maths all seem pretty jokes. If you really want to be an extremist I would recommend not wasting your time in math class and just watching a few khan academy videos for each math once a week (total 1-1.5 hours/week) and your golden. Your certainly going to have lots of time to do whatever you would like next semester.
Yea, I'm not much of a study-from-computer guy, but thanks for the input!
Old 12-05-2013 at 04:43 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

math 1aa3, 1b03, chem 1aa3, bio 1a03 are all courses you can do well in if you manage time well and study early for tests. i dont know what 1c03 is.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...14/pg2295.html

you dont need math 1c03 for a math minor. i dont know if 1c03 is similar in workload to math 1aa3 and 1b03, but if it is then it could be a busy term. it isnt needed for a minor so if you wanna drop something, drop 1c03. it may be an easy course too and you may find it interesting, but i cant comment on that since i have no knowledge about it.
Old 12-05-2013 at 05:04 PM   #8
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

I'd just like to point out that if you're planning on doing the biomedical research specialization you will be VERY tight on units. You'll get a maximum of 6 units of electives in each of the upper years unless you summer school or overload. In addition, you won't get any other electives other than your biochem required courses and your math minor courses. If you like math and don't mind, it's definitely doable.

That said, it's fine if you just go into core biochemistry. If math is something you like and are good at, your average will be high if you work hard.