MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
"What do you wanna eat?", "I dunno" Twelve Chars General Discussion 33 05-06-2011 06:22 PM
[urgent] "account is full (quota exceeded)" email problem WekSos Academics 3 07-06-2010 11:33 AM
Click Me: If You've Worked at an Ontario Provincial Park ShouldBeStudying Volunteering Opportunities 7 05-30-2010 11:05 AM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

"Testing Ban" on October 16th,2011 (Ontario Provincial Election day)

Hey Guyz,

I just wanted to inform everyone that MSU has taken forward a motion that was brought forward during MSU general Assembly,2011 about banning tests and exams on the days of Federal,provincial and Municipal elections in Mcmaster University.

This is seen as one of the few steps to improve student participation in the electoral process.
I am just attaching the official news feed posted in the MSU website.

"On Wednesday May 11, the University Senate voted on a motion that would declare a test and examination ban October 6, 2011 (Election Day). The motion passed unanimously, with strong representation from the MSU present at the meeting.

The idea was first brought forth at the MSU General Assembly in March, due to the obvious barriers that are present when students are exercising their right to vote. Special thanks to Dr. Peter Smith, Vice President (Academic) for seeing the importance of a test ban on election day, and helping to make McMaster University the first school in the province to make this idea a reality.

The test ban does not include papers or assignments however, as students have ample time to complete those projects prior to their due date. The MSU is currently in the midst of preparing an elections outreach strategy for the fall. Should you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact the Vice President (Education) at the contact information listed below.

For more information please contact:

Alicia Ali
VP (Education)
[email protected]
905 525 9140 ext. 24017"

Stay Tuned for more news on what MSU's efforts to increase Student Participation.

Thanks
Vivek Govardhanam
SRA Engineering
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-23-2011 at 05:52 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser
Program: Business Informatics
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 461 Times
I'm pretty sure most students if not all at McMaster will like this when implemented.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 05-23-2011 at 06:54 PM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member
Program: Materials Engineering & Society
Year: Alumni
Residence: Brandon Hall (06-07)

Liked: 382 Times
I feel like the thing that would boost participation would be on-campus voting. It involves some effort to find your closest polling station and what you need to bring with you, etc....

Old 05-24-2011 at 03:18 AM   #4
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I feel like the thing that would boost participation would be on-campus voting. It involves some effort to find your closest polling station and what you need to bring with you, etc....
On campus polling already exists for Federal and Provincial Elections(aka for the latter on October 6th there will be multiple on campus polling stations). I'm assuming you are thinking of the Municipal election, for that we actually did also have an on campus polling station in 2006 but only 15 students voted so the city took it away(It costs them around 4k-5k for one) for the 2010 election.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 05-24-2011 at 05:31 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
"Hmm, should I take the time out of my day to find and waste time finding a polling station, or should I cram for my test on the 7th?"

Old 05-24-2011 at 08:57 AM   #6
emtee10
Mac Lifer
Program: Medicine
Year: Third
Residence: Les Prince Hall (06-07)

Liked: 49 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
On campus polling already exists for Federal and Provincial Elections(aka for the latter on October 6th there will be multiple on campus polling stations).
Will this polling station be open to all students, or only those who live on campus? My understanding is that the on-campus polls can only be used by students in residence.
Old 05-24-2011 at 09:15 AM   #7
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
On campus polling already exists for Federal and Provincial Elections(aka for the latter on October 6th there will be multiple on campus polling stations). I'm assuming you are thinking of the Municipal election, for that we actually did also have an on campus polling station in 2006 but only 15 students voted so the city took it away(It costs them around 4k-5k for one) for the 2010 election.

I remember that incident (it was in my first year), but at the time there wasn't even that much notification that the polling station existed! (I didn't know!!!)

And if they have existed since then, I have had no idea. It's important that students know they exist and where in order for them to be functional.
Old 05-24-2011 at 01:06 PM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member
Program: not entirely sure
Year: Second

Liked: 203 Times
yea same goes here, i dont think many students know that there are polling stations on campus... i would have gone if id known but i didnt... also where are the stations typically?
Old 05-26-2011 at 06:29 PM   #9
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
yea same goes here, i dont think many students know that there are polling stations on campus... i would have gone if id known but i didnt... also where are the stations typically?
Stations are typically at schools and churches nearby, usually you go to the elections canada website and type in your postal code and it tells you where your polling station is including a map. That link was also put on the MSU website Elections Portal. For me it has varied from Dalewood Middle School in Westdale to Binkely Church(which I think was THE polling station for anyone living in westdale and ainslewood for the municipals)

But as a random question, what mediums of information would you prefer or think you will help the MSU get the message across for future elections? They normally tend to put up posters with links to the website, the website has pages of information on what you need to vote where your polling station is etc. Class talks have been tried out in the past too, so have tables in MUSC in the week leading upto the election. Any other ideas?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 05-26-2011 at 08:44 PM   #10
Krusenik
Elite Member
Program: Young Female Anatomy

Liked: 187 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
"Hmm, should I take the time out of my day to find and waste time finding a polling station, or should I cram for my test on the 7th?"

QFT.

This is just more time to study for that exam. Or it will push exams forward....
Old 05-26-2011 at 09:49 PM   #11
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
Any other ideas?
I would say some e-mails are your best bet, but again: polling stations ON CAMPUS are key.
Old 05-29-2011 at 03:16 PM   #12
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.
Program: Labour Studies
Year: Masters

Liked: 94 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
The provincial elections website, http://www.elections.on.ca/en-ca, will undoubtedly have a "Find Your Polling Station" link where you enter your postal code to find out where to vote. It will then give you an address. If it doesn't provide a map, enter the address into http://maps.google.com/, where you can get walking directions from where you are to the polling station. The whole process, plus the time spent walking to the polling station, voting, and walking back, should take no more than 30 minutes.

Consider it a study break?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search