MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbook Editions No longer posted on Titles!!! BuzzZero Academics 19 09-06-2010 07:21 PM
Book Editions in titles AnnaWM Academics 4 09-06-2010 06:39 PM
Textbooks and Editions 1mcmas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-02-2009 08:49 PM
used textbooks - old editions ankitR Academics 5 08-08-2007 09:09 AM

Textbook Editions

Old 08-24-2010 at 05:38 PM   #1
neeti10

Liked: 2 Times

Textbook Editions
Hey,
I'm going into first year life science and was looking to buy my bio chem and maybe physics textbooks used off of students since they're the most expensive. Problem is, they're all new editions this year.

How much of a difference would it make if I bought last year's editions textbooks specifically for these classes?
Old 08-24-2010 at 05:47 PM   #2
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

There are usually only a few changes, like shuffling of chapters or a new chapter added in. However, I would recommend getting the latest version just because you can sell them after to students next year!
Old 08-24-2010 at 05:51 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeti10 View Post
Hey,
I'm going into first year life science and was looking to buy my bio chem and maybe physics textbooks used off of students since they're the most expensive. Problem is, they're all new editions this year.

How much of a difference would it make if I bought last year's editions textbooks specifically for these classes?
No one knows since no one has read the new editions yet. Chances are very few things have changed. Chapters moved around, different practice questions, some clarifications, changing of pictures.
Old 08-24-2010 at 05:53 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeti10 View Post
Hey,

Actually, they switched to edition 2 for the physics textbook last year, and two years ago they had edition 1. You should be able to find edition 2 used from second-years, and at Titles (according to their website, they have 202 used edition 2 books in stock).

For the bio textbooks, apparently one of the profs co-wrote this new edition, so she'll probably rely on it heavily (as well as refer to it ad nauseum and expect you to know random things from it). Normally I'd say wait until the first class and see what they say, but she's likely going to tell you that you need to buy the new one (since she's getting $$ from it). I don't know if it will be all talk, or if the new edition will actually be necessary though.

For chem, it shouldn't make too much of a difference, but I don't know how much things have changed/moved around in the latest edition.
Old 08-24-2010 at 06:15 PM   #5
neeti10

Liked: 2 Times

Thanks so much!
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:13 PM   #6
SROS

Liked: 1 Time

okay how the heck you find the editions for these books?! I know theyre on the titles website but some of them say not applicable.

Distributor PEARSON EDUCATION CANADAISBN:9780132496 544Binding PAPERBACK (UNSPECIFIED)Volume:n /aCopyright:10Edition: n/aOn Order:200 , Order Date: 08/11/10 Location:BIOLOG 1M03

like this for example. is it just the copyright then or something?
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:16 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROS View Post
okay how the heck you find the editions for these books?! I know theyre on the titles website but some of them say not applicable.
Try searching the ISBN on the internet.

Edit: That doesn't work.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-24-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:19 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROS View Post

Distributor PEARSON EDUCATION CANADAISBN:9780132496 544Binding PAPERBACK (UNSPECIFIED)Volume:n /aCopyright:10Edition: n/aOn Order:200 , Order Date: 08/11/10 Location:BIOLOG 1M03

like this for example. is it just the copyright then or something?
I believe that says N/A because it's a sort of modified custom version of the textbook that one of the profs helped to write, and it's probably not marketed for widespread use--it's just used at Mac...or at least, that's my guess anyways The book has 'custom' in the title, whereas in previous years it was the regular 'Biological Science Vol 1&2', so that's my guess--I've never actually seen N/A before, though.
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:21 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I tried to search for the book and it doesn't exist, so it's new. If you're looking to buy it somewhere else you aren't going to find it anywhere.

The title makes me think that Kajiura edited the book to make it custom, so it'll only be sold at McMaster.
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:45 PM   #10
SROS

Liked: 1 Time

ohhh okay thanks guys, that makes sense.
Old 08-24-2010 at 10:06 PM   #11
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

i recommend waiting until you start the class- many times i'v gone to a class and the prof will say that earlier versions are fine. last year instead of buying a new edition of the 2nd yr Cell Bio text for over $80, i was able to purchase the previous version for only $35 at titles! My prof said on the first day that the older version is fine. I would wait if your buying form older students- you want to make sure you get the best deal. At least at titles you can return if you buy the newer version but don't need it.
Old 08-24-2010 at 10:11 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
i recommend waiting until you start the class- many times i'v gone to a class and the prof will say that earlier versions are fine. last year instead of buying a new edition of the 2nd yr Cell Bio text for over $80, i was able to purchase the previous version for only $35 at titles! My prof said on the first day that the older version is fine. I would wait if your buying form older students- you want to make sure you get the best deal. At least at titles you can return if you buy the newer version but don't need it.
Just make sure you don't opening the packaging if there is any on it.