MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
good idea? AAAAAnson Computers & Tech 0 09-13-2012 11:05 PM
Good idea? Lilly_Allen General Discussion 2 08-30-2012 01:10 AM
Bad idea to keep a course conflict? muons Academics 10 08-13-2011 04:11 PM
Best club idea? Sasha Clubs & Groups 3 07-11-2009 06:17 PM
Working Part-Time: Good Idea or Bad Idea? lorend Jobs & Employment Tips 2 02-28-2008 01:10 PM

Textbook Idea

Old 05-23-2013 at 04:31 PM   #1
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Textbook Idea
Not that this is realistic, but wouldn't it be fair if textbook publishers made PREVIOUS versions of textbooks free to view online? This would help in two ways. 1. It would give a reason for the company to not publish a new textbook every few years just for the sake of making money. 2. It would allow students to have free access to the fundamental content (and if students don't buy the latest edition then they would be at a loss for that new content). The publishers would argue that this is not fair, because then students wouldn't buy their new textbooks as much. But if the "new editions" do indeed have enough new content in them for us to buy the new book, then it wouldn't even matter right?...The argument would be invalid. I know they would never do this because they would still make less money, but if they did, would it not be so much more fair because they'd still be making decent money? Or am I missed something?
Old 05-23-2013 at 04:48 PM   #2
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

The problem here is that you're assuming corporations aren't heartless.

The purpose of a business is to make as much money as their resources allow them to, so I don't think Wiley or whatever is going to settle for "making decent money" when their current model allows them to exploit students' wallets with little-to-no repercussions.

The only possible way this could happen is if a cost-benefit analysis was performed and showed that increased customer loyalty outweighed the advantages of reprinting books every few years, and unfortunately that's probably not going to happen.
Old 05-23-2013 at 04:51 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
Not that this is realistic, but wouldn't it be fair if textbook publishers made PREVIOUS versions of textbooks free to view online? This would help in two ways. 1. It would give a reason for the company to not publish a new textbook every few years just for the sake of making money. 2. It would allow students to have free access to the fundamental content (and if students don't buy the latest edition then they would be at a loss for that new content). The publishers would argue that this is not fair, because then students wouldn't buy their new textbooks as much. But if the "new editions" do indeed have enough new content in them for us to buy the new book, then it wouldn't even matter right?...The argument would be invalid. I know they would never do this because they would still make less money, but if they did, would it not be so much more fair because they'd still be making decent money? Or am I missed something?
I think you're missing the definition of "fair".

Different people find different things "fair". Fair isn't giving students free access to fundamental concepts, nor is it devaluing new textbooks. Fair also isn't purposely churning out useless new editions to make more money (that's capitalism).

And you're basically saying they should make less new versions, which already will seriously decrease their profits, and then on top of that make it so that there is much much less reason to buy the new versions. If that were the case, the books probably just wouldn't get updated, period. It wouldn't be worth it.

And if for some reason the new edition had some earth-shattering info not in the older versions, the old version is "useless" to you anyways, but to get the new version you'd have to pay way more because if what you suggested was implemented, the price of new versions of textbooks would skyrocket.

You seem to realize that your idea is totally unrealistic, and I really don't understand how it would make things "fair".
Old 05-23-2013 at 05:08 PM   #4
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Most older versions of textbooks are 90% the same as the current ones. So if they allowed that, that would make the current versions completely useless and noone would buy them.

Plus, come on dude.... there's pirate bay, its not like you can't just download the book for "fair" use....
Old 05-23-2013 at 05:29 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Older versions have 95%+ similar content. Publishers change a few pages and slap a brand new price sticker on it "forcing" ppl to change
Old 05-23-2013 at 07:24 PM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

This is equivalent of saying that Apple should be selling all previous models of the iphone, ipod, ipad at cost (for example iPhone 4s at about $150).

Its suicide for a company to consider this. SOME textbook Authors allow some previous versions of books online but those are usually limited to authors of very small publishers.

murphyh likes this.
Old 05-23-2013 at 11:25 PM   #7
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Most older versions of textbooks are 90% the same as the current ones. So if they allowed that, that would make the current versions completely useless and noone would buy them.

Plus, come on dude.... there's pirate bay, its not like you can't just download the book for "fair" use....
I know, that's the point. It would encourage less editions of the same content overall.
Old 05-23-2013 at 11:27 PM   #8
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
The problem here is that you're assuming corporations aren't heartless.

The purpose of a business is to make as much money as their resources allow them to, so I don't think Wiley or whatever is going to settle for "making decent money" when their current model allows them to exploit students' wallets with little-to-no repercussions.

The only possible way this could happen is if a cost-benefit analysis was performed and showed that increased customer loyalty outweighed the advantages of reprinting books every few years, and unfortunately that's probably not going to happen.
I completely get this. I am not at all saying it's realistic. But I'd say it's a fair compromise. Unfortunately fair compromises are not always realistic. I just wish the publishers would stop producing new textbooks all the time. Or profs would stop requiring the newest versions to be bought (thus decreasing the demand for new books).
Old 05-23-2013 at 11:31 PM   #9
Animosity

Liked: 46 Times

I killed a man once
Old 05-24-2013 at 01:24 AM   #10
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

torrents. that is all.
Old 05-24-2013 at 10:49 AM   #11
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
I know, that's the point. It would encourage less editions of the same content overall.
Yes, but that's the point. Publishers and companies want more editions of the same content overall so they can sell them to us and make more money. Why would the want to encourage something that would lead to less profit?
Old 05-24-2013 at 12:17 PM   #12
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
Yes, but that's the point. Publishers and companies want more editions of the same content overall so they can sell them to us and make more money. Why would the want to encourage something that would lead to less profit?
Just that profit comes at our expense. This is a case where businesses can abuse their power over people. In this case, students, who are a demographic that are in debt for the most part.
Old 05-24-2013 at 02:11 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
I completely get this. I am not at all saying it's realistic. But I'd say it's a fair compromise. Unfortunately fair compromises are not always realistic. I just wish the publishers would stop producing new textbooks all the time. Or profs would stop requiring the newest versions to be bought (thus decreasing the demand for new books).
It might decrease the demand for new books but not diminish it in any way, shape or form. The supply will still remain steady and so will the demand.
Old 05-24-2013 at 02:19 PM   #14
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Just that profit comes at our expense. This is a case where businesses can abuse their power over people. In this case, students, who are a demographic that are in debt for the most part.
Well, yeah. Business is a horrible cut-throat world. I don't agree with it but I'm also not idealistic enough to believe that the CEO of Pearson or whatever cares that his 7+ digit salary comes from ripping off poor 20 year olds.

I'm not saying it's right or fair, but I'm saying that's why it happens and why it won't change unless something drastic happens.
Old 05-24-2013 at 06:36 PM   #15
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
Well, yeah. Business is a horrible cut-throat world. I don't agree with it but I'm also not idealistic enough to believe that the CEO of Pearson or whatever cares that his 7+ digit salary comes from ripping off poor 20 year olds.

I'm not saying it's right or fair, but I'm saying that's why it happens and why it won't change unless something drastic happens.
You are right. I just think it's unfortunate.