MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to buy textbooks! joannaas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-19-2010 04:01 PM
Textbooks! tobiasd First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-15-2010 10:54 PM
Textbooks p_vun General Discussion 5 09-10-2009 05:14 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

Textbooks

Old 06-28-2011 at 07:29 PM   #1
kanvi_v30

Liked: 7 Times

Textbooks
How do I know what textbooks I need and when is the right time to buy them?
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:31 PM   #2
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvi_v30 View Post
When you go to your first lecture, you will probably be given a course outline. This includes what textbooks and other materials are recommended.

As for when to buy them.. others have suggested to see if its absolutely necessary such as if material that will be tested comes from the textbook or not. But I'm pretty clueless here too. I usually buy them.
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:35 PM   #3
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvi_v30 View Post
If you want to know beforehand there is a link on the Titles (bookstore) website-- I think it is under the title textbooks. You select your classes and it will make a list for you. I don't think it will be updated for September until early August.
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:36 PM   #4
SydWidgets
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 16 Times

do NOT wait until the first class, look up the course outlines, or look what ppl are selling in the marketplace section, and then buy the textbooks from ebay. you will save a ton on textbooks this way.
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:36 PM   #5
abelon3

Liked: 12 Times

www.bookstore.mcmaste r.ca
Click "search for your textbooks" and find your class, though you won't be able to find any info on the course materials until sometime in August.
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:56 PM   #6
fusionorchid

Liked: 6 Times

depends on the class. Custom courseware, DO NOT get it until your prof has stated that it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY because you can't refund that stuff even if you never opened it. As for textbooks, look online from titles as stated before, and get a cheaper version online. That way, even if you DON'T end up needing it, you didn't spend a fortune on it, and you can always sell it back out on e-bay.

sidenote: if more than one class lists an i-clicker as a requirement, i suggest you check out if anyone's selling one online and call dibs on one. They're usually around $40 for a new one ($30 for a used one) from titles, and they ran out last year. if you look in the marketplace, there's people selling them for around $20 =P Just a tip.
Old 06-28-2011 at 08:01 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

The Titles website usually has the list in the middle of August or so. The best time to buy your books is at least after the first 1-2 lectures of class so that you can find out if you can use older editions, etc.
Old 06-29-2011 at 11:07 AM   #8
larizhou

Liked: 0 Times

Oh damn, so if we want to buy the textbook, we actually have to buy it on our own? I thought it is counted as part of the tuition and the textbooks will be given to us..
Old 06-29-2011 at 11:17 AM   #9
Nathanma

Liked: 7 Times

Talk with people a year or two above you. They will be able to tell you which textbooks to buy for which classes and may even be able to sell their old textbooks to you. You can also trade books with your friends if you have the similar classes during different semesters (ie. macro/micro works well)
Old 06-29-2011 at 11:49 AM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by larizhou View Post
Oh damn, so if we want to buy the textbook, we actually have to buy it on our own? I thought it is counted as part of the tuition and the textbooks will be given to us..
Nope, no school has that. You can always buy them off upper-years or used books at Titles for cheaper.